Nepal:Pilot Project Plan
Nepal's Department of Education is planning to pilot OLPC at a test school in April of 2008. Nepal's Minister of Education, Pradip Nepal, strongly support the OLPC program. Currently, the pilot is planned at a Kathmandu-area school. The Danish IT Society has generously donated roughly 200 XO laptops for the pilot.
50 laptops should arrive in Mid-March and the remainder will arrive early April. The pilot will take place at a single school in the outskirts of Kathmandu. Laptops will be piloted in grades 2 and 6 (ages 6 and 11).
OLE Nepal is coordinating many aspects of pilot including teacher training, learning activity development, networking, and hardware deployment.
From the Department of Education:
- Baburam Poudel, oversees pilot implementation
- Khaga Raj Poudel, assists Baburam
- Kamal Kafle, computer engineer
- Arjun Aryal, computer engineer
From OLE Nepal
- Dr. Saurav Dev Bhatta, Teacher training and curriculum development for the pilot
- Bryan Berry, lead systems engineer
- Sulochan Acharya, systems engineer
Other groups involved:
- FOSS Nepal is helping with localization - Subir Pradhanang and Basanta Shrestha particularly
- Nepal Wireless will help connect the school to the Internet using Wifi Point-to-Point links
- OLPC Nepal Localization and activity development
- Tony Pearson, software engineer
Personnel Needs: Need to designate someone to test and prepare the power solutions. Ram Krishna Singh would be ideal but he is very busy developing activities for the pilot.
Feb 10th ? - Submit use cases and Requirements
March 1 - Set activities and versions to be used on XO's for Pilot School
March 15th - Receive 50 XO's
- Test hardware, networking
Early April - Receive 150 additional XO's
April 1 -
- Internet connection to school thoroughly tested and operational
- School Server is operational and on site
April 5 or 8 -- 7 days training session for teachers
April 10th -- National Parliamentary Elections, may delay start of school
April 13th -- School starts
April 13 - 15 -- In-school training for kids and teachers
Teacher Training Plan
- The training will be for a total of 7 days.
- The first 4 days of the training will be residential (i.e., in a hotel/motel away from the school)--could be from April 5 to 8
- The teachers will go home after that. And there will be a few days gap before the start of the school year.
- During this gap, the elections will be held. Plus the teachers will have a couple of days of formal interactions with parents and other stakeholders in the school itself where they will not only introduce the participants