OLPC DC Repair
rc-dcr (at) laptop (dot) org
The repair center is temporarilly closed. New requests will not be handled until it reopens.
OLPC DC Repair is a repair center run by three students near Washington DC, later to be integrated into Arlington, VA's Career Center facility and programs. We usually operate via mail, although those in the Washington Metro Area are more than welcome to deliver their XOs in person. In addition to laptop repair, we also provide replacement chargers, batteries, and more.
We've been operating since mid-2008, and are continuing to provide services to the OLPC community.
The following are members of the repair center:
Please sent all inquires to rc-dcr (at) laptop (dot) org
We follow the pricing recommended by OLPC, it is as follows:
- For a tested screen: $80
- Battery: $25
- ALPS Touchpad: $20
- Keyboard: $18
- Power adapter: $15
In addition, the following services can be provided:
- Fix bad motherboard batteries and the bricking that occurs because of it. - $18
- Upgrading to the software build of your choice (656, 703, and the joyride builds) (may cause loss of data) - $15
- Replacing the backplate of your XO to the colors of your choice - $15
If any of the above three are purchased in conjunction with another service, the price is less by 10USD.
Shipping/handling not included.
- Return shipping is 10USD to the lower 48 states, USPS insurance is an additional 3USD.
- International shipping varies, but typically is around 20USD.
For reference, here is our repair cycle, from start to finish:
- Donor (that's you!) sends an email to the address listed above
- We'll reply within 2 days with a tentative diagnosis and shipping details
- Donor mails XO, optional components, check, and a signed terms of service to the address mentioned in the mail
- We'll send an email when we process your laptop from the incoming mail queue. This may be 1 to 3 business days after your packages delivery.
- We'll send a followup email when we return your laptop.
If after a few days you don't hear back from us, feel free to email us again.
We have an OLPC Serial Adapter and can thus fix D6 brickings.
A full inventory is under-way, but we currently have 15 full sets of XO parts.