is a (growing) list of projects being worked on for/around the XO laptops
- Integration and aggregation of material,
- Interface design,
- Accessibility, and
- For more information about activities with their own sugar packaging, see the Activities page.
- For more information about activities that could use your help, see the Participate page.
- For miscellaneous tasks, see the request board.
is a (growing) list of requests related to other work described on this wiki.
- For a list of specific pages asked to be translated (see also Translating and its how-to)
- For art requests, see Art Wanted.
OLPC's Projects' Listing
Everyone who is part of the developer's program is involved in at least one project; please make sure that yours is listed below or on the Activities page.
Click on the name of any linked activity for detailed information about its design and development status.
|Project Name||Description||In use||Updated in Build||l10n||Status|
|Peripherals||Inexpensive peripherals to distribute with laptops|
|School Server Extensions|
|Moodle||A classroom management system for students and teachers, including forums and a Wiki.||See http://www.moodle.com/.|
|Userspace tools||Collabora, et al: Tubes & presence integration with sugar|
|Speech Recognition, Text-to-Speech|
|Helix media activities||a Helix Media Activity and helix browser plugins; both a fully free version (for olpc) and one with all available integrated codecs (for developer use)||version 3+ available; not for anyone to download (licensing) but for devs who request it. Works well with rm and rv formats, okay with ogg formats (at low framerates), not yet with mpeg.|
|Gstreamer activities||a Gstreamer browser plugin and possible standalone activity...||Works with hacking; no full integration or separate codebase yet. Check with J5 about latest status. We need stronger Gstreamer contacts for this to be sustainable.|
|Educational Activities, Lesson Plans, and Templates|
|Etoys templates||Examples of what to do with etoys, how to use it in the classroom and on one's own, great ideas to experiment with||video, pdf|
|Example activities||Examples of how to use the XO for learning, and to expand/enhance existing educational activities.||Template: Activity_template|
|PyGame||A python library for developing graphical games; abstracting out the implementation of widgets, buttons, and screen manipulation|
|Gnash||A free software Flash implementation; cf #gnash on irc.freenode.net and Rob Savoye||Working; supports much of Flash 7, a little later ActionScript; active development, responsive to specific requests.|
|Game Jam Bundle||Games developed during the June 2007 Game Jam.||To be packaged for the June 25th internal release.|
|Participate wiki||Site to collect/direct the OLPC community.||Currently on the OLPC wiki. To be merged with the OLPC development site. Ideas welcome.|
|OLPC Library Portal||Spec in progress.|
- See the list of everything in the Tasks Category.
- Icon design: Xbook et al (cf. Don Hopkins); Calculator; Game activities
- pygtk help: for music activities
- Help needed with Educational ideas
- Outline the best way to use the XO as a Datalogger; update the OLPC as Datalogger page with this information.
- Flesh out ideas about teaching students to make tools for art creation in resource-poor areas; create wiki page with these ideas linked from Educational ideas.
- If you are an educator with experience using computers in the classroom, we need your input on questions listed at Basic Teacher Training.
- Help needed with Educational activity ideas
- Outline the steps needed to set up a functioning Key Pals program that connects children using XOs either with children in developed countries or with children using XOs in other countries.
- Implement semantic fields in either squeak or etoys.
- Help needed with Software ideas
- Create various calculating, data analysis and visualization, and financial tools.
- Develop language-learning tools and ask content owners to contribute free language resources (dictionaries, thesauruses, etc) in OLPC-friendly formats.
- Develop or adapt for XOs science-learning tools.
- Develop programs that use XOs to aid in physical education and training.
- Develop XO programs for creation and recording of art.
- Develop XO programs for music education (make sure you look at TamTam before beginning).
- Develop XO communications applications (VOIP, email, etc).
- Develop XO educational tools.
- Develop XO games. A variety of games are currently in development; try searching the wiki to get an idea of what's being done.
- See other Software ideas
- Free and open source educational content is needed.
- Develop a Class orchestra activity.
- Translation/localization into En, from Es/De/Fr Sj talk
- See also Translators
- Some online design/interface design help : Humanized.com (contact User:Ianb for more)
- Mentoring or hosting or site design : from name.com
Contractors / interns wanted
- Conall Ryan - looking for one contractor to work on reading apps and early-childhood game porting to sugar
- Name.org - looking for someone to help them make their efforts more useful to OLPC; incl. at least one programmer
Now & ongoing
- UNICEF - constantly looking for python programmers; could use another 1-2 contractors to work on
- Ben Nardone - looking for one volunteer to work on health-related work. Now has someone, with a wiki account here...
- World Food Program - theoretically looking for a programmer once they find support for a next-generation food-force game, perhaps in a few months.