School in a box
School in a Box
Laptops, peripherals, and other materials...
Challenge: 2 luggages. 50 pounds max apiece; 62 linear inches. 40 kids, 1 teacher, 1 XO per child. What else?
We are working on this at the Grassroots Jam. See /Saturday and /Sunday for Jam notes.
Items have been secured, and are being played with to make how-to guides.
- 2 bags
- 62 linear inches each
- 50 lbs each
- costs less than $1k total (including containers & 2 XOs). Ideally, half that.
- Provide course materials for XO-based activities
- Provide hardware to support materials
- Provide tools to support hardware
Items that are physically in our PIAB prototype now.
- OLPC stickers
- XO buttons
- A USB-power analog sensor kit (with temperature sensor)
- Multimeter & ammeter
- Tinkertoys (in can)
- Speakers (no external power needed)
- Telescope + tripod
- Inflatable beach ball w/ globe
- soldering tools - include...
- various colored wire spools
- extra tip chisel/conical
- safety goggles
- heat sink
- helping hands - includes magnifier
- construction paper
- tacky glue
- sketch pad
- push pins
- packing tape
- duct tape
- scotch tape
- gummy candies
- various electronic components
- motor driver
- volt regulators
- photo cell
- pot 10K
- DC motor
Pseudoreal and wanted contents
Equipment we made mock prototypes of and would have (for real) in a production PIAB kit.
- 12W solar panel
- Deployment_Guide (needs to be localized)
- Follow up on where the prototypes produced should go.
- Get pictures from the Jam up
- Get notes from the "how to use it" booklet on the wiki
- Talk with XO-accessory stores about turning it into a product