Sugar is the core of the OLPC Human Interface. Its goal is to turn the Laptop into a fun, easy to use, social experience that promotes sharing and learning.
Sugar is available for many platforms:
- on the XO laptop
- If you have an XO, it's running Sugar. Read Updating the XO to update to the latest version.
- as OS images
- You can install or upgrade an XO to a new OS image. You can also run a Sugar image using emulation on almost any operating system, including Windows.
- as a bootable CD and USB stick
- You can download a Sugar on a Stick image file and burn it to a CD, and then boot and run it on almost any x86 PC, including x86 Macintosh.
- as packages for common Linux distributions
- You can install Sugar as an alternative desktop on several Linux Distributions.
- as runnable source code for developers on Linux
- Developers on Linux can install from the latest source code using Jhbuild.
Note the "Frame key" at the top-right corner of your keyboard, which toggles the presence of the Frame on and off the screen. (The Frame is the black border around the screen that holds the activity taskbar, clipboard, buddy list, etc.)
You can restart Sugar by pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Erase* keys simultaneously.
- (the XO laptop doesn't have a typewriter-esque "Backspace" key, but rather a "Erase" key... which is great for erasing things!)
Developers, once you've installed Sugar, you can go on to develop for the environment.
- Building the XO: Introducing Sugar - Red Hat Magazine 2007-02-23
- Build from sources
- Read the human interface guidelines
- Get an overview of the architecture
- Write your own activity
- Check out the library of Sugar Code Snippets
- Understanding Sugar code organization.
- See a list of Sugar activities and specifications.
- Sugar source repository
- Current trac tickets, sorted by category. The TODO list.
- Creating an Activity, General information about how to create an activity.
- Activity tutorial, Technical information about how to create an activity
- Activity bundles, Technical information abot how to package an activity
- Sugar Activity Builder, General Script to make a Sugar's activity skeleton
- Hacking Sugar, Tips and tricks