Sugar on Debian
- 1 Installing sugar on Debian Unstable
- 1.1 Get sugar-jhbuild
- 1.2 Run sugar-jhbuild
- 1.3 The Dependencies
- 1.4 Debian-OLPC
- 1.5 External links
- 1.6 See also
- 2 Problems and Solutions
Installing sugar on Debian Unstable
Simplest is to use officially packaged Sugar packages:
aptitude install sugar
The rest of this page is about ways to build Sugar software yourself on a Debian system...
aptitude install git-core
Get sugar-jhbuild through git as described in Sugar with sugar-jhbuild.
cd sugar-jhbuild ./sugar-jhbuild update ./sugar-jhbuild build
If update fails with:
ImportError: No Module name ctypes
aptitude install python-ctypes
Plenty of dependencies are likely to fail.
For build-base, you should need:
aptitude install libtool libsqlite3-dev libnspr4-dev docbook-xsl intltool
Now, this is ALL you need if you want to spend many hours compiling many packages:
You have two ways to get the dependencies: Build-base and building/installing packages manually from sid archives.
Alternative 1: Build Base
This is easy, but it takes a long time and builds custom versions of all the dependencies (rather than getting them through apt).
This takes a long time, but will work. After that, do 'build' and 'run'.
Alternative 2: Install dependency libraries directly from Debian Sid
- Debian Sugar (contains notes both on official packaging and on build-dependencies for manual builds)
Alternative 3: Installing from apt
- Install main sugar package (pulls in all dependent and recommended packages)
apt-get install sugar
- Optionally search for packages mentioning sugar in their package description
apt-cache search sugar
- Optionally install and use a smarter search (includes packages fuzzily related to sugar too)
aptitude install ept-cache ept-cache search sugar
Sugar packages officially in Debian
python-olpc-datastore - Sugar graphical shell - datastore sugar-presence-service - Sugar graphical shell - presence service sugar-sharedstate-classes - sharedstate classes for the Sugar graphical shell sugar-sharingtest-activity - sharingtest activity for the Sugar graphical shell python-sugar - Sugar graphical shell - core functionality python-sugar-toolkit - Sugar graphical shell - core widgets sugar - window manager from the OLPC project sugar-artwork - Sugar graphical shell - artwork sugar-calculate-activity - calculate activity for the Sugar graphical shell sugar-journal-activity - journal activity for the Sugar graphical shell sugar-pippy-activity - pippy activity for the Sugar graphical shell
- package status for OLPC-related packages, including links to bugs.
- Now there is an debian-olpc project alioth debian-olpc
- You can join the mail list
Problems and Solutions
- It seems plausible that while run dependency check, python-cairo and gtk2.0 have problems while instaling dependencies, (dev libraries) try installing first the gtk2.0 libraries, that should erase the dependence on python-cairo.