XS Community Edition/6.2
Internet-in-a-Box / XSCE 6.2 (formerly known as "School Server Community Edition") was released April 19, 2017.
Please see the Release Notes here: https://github.com/xsce/xsce/wiki/IIAB-6.2-Release-Notes
Documentation was overhauled & refreshed in early 2017:
- http://box/info (documentation for offline operators)
Install images for different CPU's, OS's and languages (many including sample content) are accumulating here: http://download.iiab.io/6.2
IIAB/XSCE 6.2 code is here, which represents a very major step forward since v6.1:
- Strong Raspberry Pi 3 support, including the Raspbian Pixel OS (see security updates from late Nov 2016, and 2017)
- Strong support for teachers/librarians who want ad hoc USB stick/drive materials to appear instantly at http://box/usb
- Captive Portal experimentation, so new users (and less literate users) don't need to type in any URL at all — instead of http://box, http://school.lan, http://schoolserver.lan, http://172.18.96.1 etc. Clarif: Largely deferred to IIAB 6.3, but coming soon!
- And Far More: please do read the Release Notes!
Background: We began working around a regular 6-month release cycle starting with XSCE 6.0 (released March 27, 2016) leading up to XSCE 6.1 (released September 22, 2016). While we missed the 6-month target this time, this was a result of a major refactoring, bringing us forward from CentOS exclusivity, embracing Raspbian for RPi, while also adding the similar Debian for larger PC's.
Do join our weekly "Thursday" calls, helping collaboratively push forward what's coming next!
N.B.: after v6.2 (starting in April 2017) our code will increasingly transition to: http://github.com/iiab
The latest *stable* release should always be available at: https://github.com/xsce/xsce/releases/latest
Return to this IIAB/XSCE 6.2 summary site anytime later, with short link: http://schoolserver.org/6.2