What is Agenda 21?
Agenda 21 is a clear Plan of Action to help Humanity make it beyond the year 2100. And it helps to make sense of all that is happening on our planet and bring order and a logic in things.
How to make a Plan of Action to help Humanity make it beyond the year 2100?
Every 10 years, since 1972, the best of the best humanity can bring forward, gather in the "Earth Summits":
- 1972: Stockholm
- 1982: Nairobi
- 1992: Rio De Janeiro
- 2002: Johannesburg
- 2012: on the www referred to as Rio+20: http://www.uncsd2012.org
From 1989 till 1993, and culminating in 1992 with the Earth Summit in Rio De Janeiro, humanity - with help of the civil society and supported by the United Nations - gathered the brightest our Humanity could bring forward in series of exchanges of viewpoints to inventorise our Planet's and Humanities'challenges and then to develop strategies to avoid crashing into some walls or stepping on some hidden trigger events.
Basically, Civil Society and the United Nations - our Leaders - took the initiative to call upon all nations to bring forward the best of the best in their societies to reflect about our Humanities achievements and seemingly ever increasing challenges inhibiting the majority of Humans to make it beyond the year 2100. Just to name a few: a huge meteorite wiping out humanity and most life on the planet, the Global Climate Destabilisation, Water and Food scarcity, loss of biodiversity, population explosion, some hidden deseases capable of decimating population, atomic proliferation - dirty bombs - terrorism, ...
Four main sections and 40 entry ports in the form of Chapters, were defined to take into account, to mobilize, to start from, to link-in, entry doors or to implement in your own plans of actions, decisions and business plans, so that all actors, talents and resources we have in society and on this planet could be mobilized and become more and more aligned to face all these identified challenges:
- A21 Section I: Social and Economic Dimensions
- A21 Section II: Conservation and Management of Resources for Development
- A21 Section III: Strengthening the Role of Major Groups
- A21 Section IV: Means of Implementation
In other words:
There are 40 chapters in the Agenda 21, divided into four main sections.
- Section I: Social and Economic Dimensions
- which deals with combating poverty, changing consumption patterns, promoting health, change population and sustainable settlement
- Section II: Conservation and Management of Resources for Development
- Includes atmospheric protection, combating deforestation, protecting fragile environments, conservation of biological diversity (biodiversity), control of pollution and culture.
- Section III: Strengthening the Role of Major Groups
- Includes the roles of children and youth, women, NGOs, local authorities, business and workers.
- Section IV: Means of Implementation
- Implementation includes science, technology transfer, education, international institutions and financial mechanisms.
As Humanity was approaching the year 2000, and the Agenda 21 Plan of Action was further developed, out of it came the the "Millennium Development Goals".
Was the first "wall" Humanity was going to run into the Population Explosion? Or some unknown killer pandemic disease? Shortage of potable sweet water? Our inability to tap into the vast majority of humans, elderly, youngsters, kids and minority groups ? Of the now (2009) 6 billion people, hardly 2 billion participate in generating the 65 Trillion that is the World Gross Domestic Product, i.e. a way to express to some extend all products and services we are capable to get into the formal economy. Or maybe a Global Climate Destabilization would prevent us to make it beyond the year 2100 ? Or a meteorite impact?
What was the first "wall" Humanity would run into ? At least more than one was detected; a "wall" = disaster in preparation = that was of a magnitude, capable of preventing majority to make it beyond the year 2100.
For 3 years - from 1989 to 1993 - the United Nations "locked-up" these people, not only to reflect, make a list, prioritize, but also develop a Plan of Action or Plans of Actions to get around, over, under or make these walls disappear. And THAT is Agenda 21, a Plan of Action making all these actions converge and unlock synergies between individuals, groups plan of actions on topics they have been working on and developing excellence in, so that the more and more each advances, more and more building blocks will fall in place as others have also been preparing parts of the solutions and been enabled to make sure their plan of actions are known and open in a way they can interlink and unlock synergies for themselves and other plan of actions.
Now it is your turn, to align Your personal Plan of Action for Your Life and your Childrens or Parents or Grand-parents, your neighourhoods'lives with the Plan of Action 21.
By doing so, you will feel immediately reinforced, connected, get even more depth and interlinkage and success.