Ask OLPC a Question/New
My OLPC stucked off after starting up and please also guide me that from where i can get new charger for my olpc?
We are planning to help OPLC but we need to check the Financial Statements of the organization. Does somebody know where can we get this information?
- From OLPC directly, or the government or other regulators. I don't think you should rely on what contributors to a community Wiki might tell you ... that's not a rigorous method. --Quozl 03:23, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
I turned on my OLPC but it didn't show anything.What do I do?
- Check out Keyboard freeze fix for os 650-656 it might be your problem. Hard to say, unless you can give some more information, like when you last used the XO, whether the power indicator turns on, whether the display backlight turns on. --Quozl 21:04, 30 August 2011 (UTC)
how do download windows xp on to my olpc xo and how do you access your downloads
- There is no way to get Windows XP for your individual OLPC. Microsoft does not make it available to individuals, and OLPC has nothing to do with that.
How to access your downloads?
- If you download things on the OLPC, they should show up in the Journal, which is one of the Activities that's always running. It looks like a little spiral notebook. You can also open the journal by pressing the "magnifying glass" icon in the upper-left hand part of the keyboard.
how do you start your downloads
I downloaded adobe flash player but i still can't watch my videos i know you go to journal and the file and click start but it doesn't work.
your disk is full
What should i do if i go to my record activity and it says my disk is full?
- You should open your Journal and remove large files or activities. Mariano 06:44, 8 December 2009 (UTC)
== It seems that with the new built (8.2) in the XO the existing Scratch files are difficult to copy into a USB. I can't use the function "save as" or even copy them from the terminal. Any idea what to do? il me semble que mon "xo" est bloqué peut etre plein. que faire? Mamadou Niang firstname.lastname@example.org je souhaite dans le cadre d'une ONG dénommée Bokk Diang avoir des partenaires pouvant permettre "d'arroser" les Ecoles Sénégalaises. merci de l'aide que vous nous apporterez. Mamadou Niang 00221776467585 Sénégal
How do I chat with other people in the world?
My xo is hooked up to the internet but I still don't know how to chat with other people in the world could you tell me how please?
- First connect to a Jabber server or your local school network. Then you can see other people on your network and will be able to chat with them.
- You can also download XoIRC and chat with people using that activity. 02:34, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
How do I download music on my labtop?
- Click on a file to download. Then open it from your Journal. Alternately, install an activity like Jukebox.
How do I download Doom?
- The page about it is titled Doom. 02:34, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
I need to knnow how to reset the name on my xo laptop
- From the Sugar Control Panel, update your "About me" settings, and restart. 02:34, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
How Do I erase viruses from my xo
i buy new usb to rs232 moduleboard ft232rl.and i conect my computer with my desktop but htere is nothing happnaed can some one tell me y or i conect it with other laptop not with desktop.i have olpc
reset journal info
my question is how do u erase information on the journal
hey guys nice work ...well i am making a project on u guys can u help me with the list of countries whu r a part of ur process thanks gaurav Peace out
hey i've got 2 questions 1. first of all why won't my eye chat open even if i have downloaded it 2. second how can i read e-books on my olpc oh and one more question: can i contact the child who got the other laptop after i had paid for mine? thanks
- Thanks for your questions. Sorry, I don't know what eye chat is. E-books in various formats can be read using the Read activity, and there are new E-book reader programs on http://activities.sugarlabs.org/ . No, you can't contact the child who got the other laptop. -- Quozl 22:46, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
How does the Log Viewer work?
As a part of an evaluation project we are trying to determine what activities are being used by the children, and for this reason we would like to know exactly how does the log viewer work. The journal presents the problem that activities may be erased by the children, therefore not providing a complete picture. So my questions are, what does the log viewer exactly show? Does it show all the activities used by the children? Does it only show errors in activities used by the children and if so what type of errors? Do you think the log-files can be used to determine what activities are the children using or the information won't be reliable towards that purpose?
Also, is it possible to recover erased activities from the journal?
Thank you for your help!
how to repair olpc
hi olpc i am call placide and my olpc can not switch on now but the screen can switch on but does not mark any thing so it looks like has virus or it has corrupted so i would like to know how can i repair it and what can use to repair it please i need help
- This can happen if you hold down the rotate button when you turn it on. Please try this: remove the battery, disconnect the cable, wait 10 seconds, put the battery back in, press the power button. The laptop should start. If it does not, then it may need repair. -- Quozl 04:14, 25 October 2010 (UTC)
Server Installation detail Guide
Hi, I am am a new learner in this OLPC deployment team. I have installed a OLPC XS and had a problem with the eth0. During boot process it come to a stage where it says that IP determing information on eth0 fails. I have follwed the proper steps to install the server however it still gives me the same problem. Can anyone out there assist me to get the eth0 working on my server. Dudley Daduwe
Skype microphone issue
I have been using Skype on my XO1 with ver. 656 without problems but after updating to ver. 802 and re-installing Skype using the directions given on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Skype (Standard) the sound of the microphone is garbled, when placing a test call, even though it is clear when recording in terminal mode by using arecord and aplay. I have tried several settings in Alsamixer and Skype but without getting any change or improvement. Is there a patch or fix for this problem. Updating to ver. 852 did not work as Skype will not install on the 852 version on my XO1. Note: I re-installed 802 and Skype several times and in several different executions following posts under OLPC but always with the same result. Placing a test call in Skype gives a playback with garbled microphone sounds like two voices overlapping each other and then shorting out.
seria muy ueno si tendria para algunos alumnos mas avanzados la posibilidad de una de las nuevas plaquetas minis como para subir a 8 gb el disco solido , pero me parece que la memoria de 1 gb ya viene incorporada en el mother . y no tiene ningun slot
hoy dia los costos bajando y ojala en tiempos proximos alcancen un precio infimo como para poder incorporar mas almacenamiento.
What numerical and literacy applications exist to help Kids within the Kenyan context/curriculum? email@example.com
Problem updating from 656 and mouse freeze
Hello I am having trouble updating from the 656 system and now my mouse and keyboard has frozen. Can you please advise me. Thank you. -- heather
- Hello Heather. What have you upgraded to? Does the mouse and keyboard remain frozen if you remove the power adapter and battery and put them back in? Write to firstname.lastname@example.org (our very busy OLPC technical staff) if you'd prefer e-mail. --Quozl 02:01, 3 January 2011 (UTC)
- I tried using the email but only got a generic response. To answer your questions:
- - I was trying to upgrade to the 10.1.2. I tried with the USB method and got the grey grid with a message underneath, something about NAND and size.
- - I then tried to update in terminal using all the various wordings proposed. That did not work either. I left the machine for a day or so and when I turned it back on the mouse and keyboard were frozen. When it lit up with the clock, it would go to a black screen with some text at about a quarter of the way round and then, before I could read it, it would go back to loading. I tried turning the machine on holding the O key which made the black text screen disappear but did not fix the freeze. I tried removing all power. I tried turning the machine on holding the rotate button. Nothing has worked yet. I'm really excited that you are responding to me and look forward to finding a solution.
- Take care. -- heather
- Did the generic mail response give you a tracking number? If so, let me know what it was. That will help us mark it as being handled.
- The grey grid sounds good, the message does not. There may be a fault in the laptop, or a problem with the download or preparation of the USB drive.
- The grey grid occurs with an install of 10.1.2, so I'm presuming you are wanting to do an install, which wipes all data off the laptop. If so, please try again and this time check that you are following the install instructions below and tell me exactly what the message about the NAND says.
- Regarding the update in terminal, I don't think you should try that again, because having started the install the contents of the internal storage is undefined, and the results may be unpredictable. The mouse and keyboard freeze is common; it happens if the laptop runs out of memory. We didn't test update from 656 and it may not work.
- Feel free to send me an e-mail at email@example.com if you like. --Quozl 22:24, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
How to install signed build os852 of release 10.1.2 on XO-1.
The build is installed to the internal NAND flash device. You will need a USB drive of at least 1 GB capacity, but only for the duration of the installation.
ALL USER DATA WILL BE ERASED FROM THE LAPTOP!
- Prepare the USB drive:
- Download os852.img,
- Save the file to the top directory of the USB drive,
- Download os852.img.fs.zip,
- Save the file to the top directory of the same USB drive,
- Rename the file to fs.zip, (removing the os852.img part of the name),
- Check the USB drive contains at least the two files fs.zip and os852.img.
- Prepare the laptop:
- Make a copy of any data you wish to keep,
- Check the battery is inserted and locked,
- Check that the power cord is in place and the battery indicator is green,
- Turn off the laptop, unless it is already off,
- Insert the USB drive into any USB port on the laptop,
- Start installing:
- Hold down all four game keys (see this in pictures),
- Turn on the laptop,
- Wait for the message Release the game keys to continue,
- Release the game keys.
Installation progress will be displayed. Green colour will fill yellow blocks. It will take about five minutes. Once finished, the laptop will reboot automatically. Remove the USB drive during or after the reboot. The USB drive can be used on other laptops.
If you see a message Boot failed then either:
- the USB drive has not been properly prepared, or;
- the firmware is out of date and should be updated (see Firmware).
What to do if all of my activities disappear? Please Help!!!
- Reinstall might be a last resort. Someone else asked this recently, and it turned out that changing the language to one that isn't supported may cause this. Change it back. --Quozl 23:38, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
my xo1 olpc can not start up
my xo1 olpc can not start up when i open it the screen to make withe color only but is because of virus nothing else so i would like to know how can i repair it or how can i format it but the problem is that i don't know how command or key for booting xo1 olpc and the name for xo1 olpc operating system so can you please help
Wi-Fi WAPs not visible in Neighborhood View
I installed the 10.1.3 version to my XO-1. Initially everything was fine including the WAP icons. Now I am only seeing the MESH target icons. I know the access points are working in several locations including m home one but still nothing but MESH is visible in the Neighbothood View. How can I fix this, short of trying a reinstall of 10.1.3?
- This will happen if automatic power management is enabled, which is the default, and the laptop is not kept awake for at least a minute. This is in the release notes. Try turning off automatic power management in the control panel. If that does not change things, please use Open Firmware to check the wireless card. Obtain the Ok prompt, and type scan-wifi then press return. This scans for wireless access points by turning on the radio receiver in the wireless card. Doing this test in Open Firmware is useful, because it excludes the 10.1.3 software entirely. If it doesn't show any access points, then there's no chance that 10.1.3 will. If it does show them, but 10.1.3 does not, then at least we know the problem is not hardware. Let us know how you go, because based on this test there are very different further tests to make. --Quozl 23:20, 4 May 2011 (UTC)
how to format my olcp XO 1
please please i can ask you how to format the olcp and how to remove the downloaded applicattion which can not be erased please if u know it tell me quickly or send it on my email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- One way to clear all changes would be to re-install or update to a current version. See Release_notes/11.3.0#XO-1 or Release_notes/11.3.1#XO-1 (almost released). --FGrose 17:27, 10 June 2012 (UTC)
How to repair olcp
Hi olcp i want to repair my olcp the problem is that when i charge my olcp the orange color which shows you that the power is going in but it shows like it is charged but it is activated the xo is loading when the circles are surrounded xo the laptop turns off so how can you help me to fix it.
my olcp can not start up
Hi my name is Robert my olcp doesn' t start up when i turn it on but it turns itself off plesase help me if possible.
Conecté un Mp4 a mi XO 1.5 ( Secundaria ) Y creo que me entró un virus, Entonces, No me deja ver el Escritorio. Me aparece en Blanco. :( me gustaría saber s puedo hacer algo para sacarlo! Me ayudan?
Super trouble with OLPC
hello friends! (first pardon me with the bad English...)
well, actually I'm repairing an XO-1 laptop OLPC, at the beginning it worked flawlessly, until i upgraded the bios firmware downloaded from: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q2e45, after the process, it won't boot anymore. the trouble is i can't figure out how to make it boot... i installed this build: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.2.0 no luck... always end in the OK command prompt... same thing happened to every build version I've tried, downloaded and installed from here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes also, I've tried to re flash the bios and no luck, i use several ROM files, from the Q2E41(the original ROM bios that comes in my OLPC) to the last Q2E45, and still no luck... I've tried to install SO images with several SD cards with 1, 2, and 4 GB of storage capability, all of them formatted in several ways: FAT, exFAT, vFAT, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32... and nope...the OLPC won't boot... then I've tried luck with 2 kingston USB memory sticks, one is a 1GB and the other is a 8GB storage capability, tried with FAT, exFAT, vFAT, FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32 formats, it install the OS image in the OLPC, but still the laptop won't boot... Tired of this, i get a developer key from here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_developer_keys, and tried it without any luck at all...
NOTE # 1: the OLPC hardware test report that everything is good...
NOTE # 2: all builds and bios I've downloaded and used to restoring my OLPC were for the XO-1 laptop model.
NOTE # 3: all clean-install and bios writing processes ended correctly with no failures.
NOTE # 4: the battery is fully charged, and the AC adapter is in outstanding performance.
NOTE # 5: all the internal memory chips are in good shape, also I've made this process: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Flash_Bad_Blocks, and the flash nand only got around 15 bad blocks... then i made this process: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock and nothing, the OLPC always ends in the OK prompt, and never run the installed OS image...
anyone can light any clues about what is wrong with this OLPC???
any responses here or in my e-mail email@example.com with help to solve this mystery, are welcome .
Can anyone buy an XO laptop?
I have XO 1.5 and want to erase all data from the journal. I know that there is command (maybe not one) that is being typed in terminal for erasing all data from the journal. But cant remember that command. Can somebody help?
activities wont work
everything i click on wont load except; firefox, doom, scratch and produce puzzle E toys will load but, there will be an error message, and it will just be a blank page. How do i fix it?!!!
How do i download music and how do i get flash player Terminal doesn't work so it isnt an option
how do i use regular sites to download music?
how do i install Firefox 9.0.1? I don't have terminal and i cant download it.
the mouse pad on my OLPC laptop is not working,the whole thing is not working. i have tried restarting my laptop but the mouse pad is still not working, what can i do to fix this? thank you.
- this is a familiar problem, please read Keyboard_freeze_fix_for_os_650-656. --Quozl 23:11, 26 March 2012 (UTC)
¿como descargo para ver videos Gratis?
Si fueran tan amables me podrían responder como descargo icono para ver videos? Gracias
una pequeña ayuda con una olpc
hola como estan
mi nombre es kevin molinares, soy de colombia y tengo un problema con una olpc xo-1. Resulta que soy tecnico en reparacion de computadores, entonces me dieron una olpc xo-1 para formatear windows, porque el sistema que traia le cayo muchos virus y estava muy lento, entonces yo formatee la SD de 4GB que trae pero no he podido hacer la instalacion de windows he intentado copiar una instalacion limpia que hice desde una maquina virtual pero no sirve la unica forma que logre iniciar es con un hirent boot CD. ahora si la pregunta ...
como hago o si necesito un driver, o donde bajo el windows xp para esta olpc xo-1 .. ya venia con windows xp de fabrica es mas tiene la licencia de windows original pegada debajo de la bateria, que tengo que hacer ?. le agradezco su respuesta que tengan un buen dia
mi correo es firstname.lastname@example.org
Skype Video Calls & Broadband
I have 1.16 gb left of my broadband allowance this month. How long can I chat on skype using the video call facility?
my laptop turn on but then the screen stays black i have charged to full battery but it still does not do anything
I want to download stuff on my XO laptop, but it keeps taking me to archive manager, which I don't like. I need instructions now!!!
- that is probably because you are downloading files that can only be opened by archive manager. exactly what files are you downloading? perhaps the files are not designed for your XO laptop. --Quozl 22:34, 11 October 2012 (UTC)
Technological and estructural diagram of the OLPC project
I am a volunteer at an organization that implements the OLPC project in Honduras. I am trying to help in different areas and one of them is to create documentation that will guide the end users of the program. This documentation is aided with descriptive images and one of them, which I need from you is the one that has the diagram of the structure of the OLPC project (technology oriented). I was looking at some links that show this diagram but I can not find it anymore. It has an oval of the acronym OLPC in the center and it branches out to the left with technology and to the right with outreach and education. It will be of great help if you can provide me with such an image.
Alfonso Calero (email@example.com)
I have a couple of XO's with me. I would like to change the network protocols and analyze the results.
I would like to know where is the mesh protocol located on the XO? From where can I change the protocols?
Thanks in advance.
- Hello. The mesh protocol is only available on the XO-1 model. Confirm you have an OLPC XO-1 model first. The OLPC XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4 models do not have mesh. Next, the mesh is implemented inside the wireless module firmware, with some small functions in the Linux kernel. Because it is in the firmware, you cannot practically change the protocol. --Quozl 03:44, 8 April 2013 (UTC)
- Hello Again thanks for a quick response earlier. Yes I have XO-1. I have some more Questions. Is there any way I can change the protocols in XO-1. Will I be able to change the Network Protocol Parameters? If Yes than how? Thanks in advance.
- It depends on which protocol you wish to change. No, the mesh physical protocol cannot be changed. Yes, all the other network protocols above the physical layer can be changed, using Linux commands, Linux kernel run-time configuration parameters, and Linux kernel build-time configuration parameters. Which specific protocol and parameter do you wish to change, and why? --Quozl 01:00, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for the information earlier. My interest is in the routing. I am doing a research on the mesh protocols. Some more questions to answer please. (1) Is the routing (and the corresponding layer) is part of the firmware too? (2) Which application layer software (GUI..etc) do they include to enable students to create links and task on the mesh? Thanks in advance.
- It is of historic use, I guess. XO-1 mesh implementation was not continued beyond XO-1. Our XO-1.5, XO-1.75, and XO-4 models use ad-hoc rather than mesh. To answer your questions: (1) Routing on the mesh is entirely handled by the wireless module firmware. It is an implementation of IEEE 802.11s draft. It is incompatible with IEEE 802.11s final. (2) Sequence is: user selects Sugar network view, then clicks on a Mesh icon. Sugar sends mesh request command to Network Manager daemon. Network manager sends command to kernel. Kernel sends command to wireless module via USB. Reply cascades back up the stack, and the Mesh icon is changed to show it is selected. User starts a Sugar activity and enables sharing. Activity uses multicast UDP to advise activity is available for sharing. Other nodes on the mesh receive the UDP and update their network view. --Quozl 03:39, 9 April 2013 (UTC).
- Thanks for the information earlier. Will I be able to get a chance to edit wireless module firmware? thanks
- Chance: 0.1% Because it is in the firmware, you cannot practically change the mesh protocol. The firmware is the property of Marvell. The source code is not public. The firmware is in the file usb8388.bin which is stored on the laptop. The file is sent to the wireless module after power is turned on. There is no public documentation for the ARM and baseband processor on the module, and these chips are from a silicon design around 2005, and probably no longer available. The module is soldered to the main board. --Quozl 04:58, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
- Hello, I have some more questions. The network is usually organised in a few layers, traditionally in seven. The lowest layer is the physical layer. That is indeed firmware and cannot be edited. Above that we have the data link, network, and transport layer. Routing will happen in one of these layers, usually in the network, sometimes in the data link layer. Question is: where is the routing taking place for the OLPC XO-1 and the other versions of OLPC XO (like XO-1.5 ..etc). thanks.
- We use TCP/IP for networking on OLPC XO, and TCP/IP is not based on a seven layer model. Wikipedia has an article that describes OSI and TCP/IP layering differences. Routing happens in as many layers as are required by the definition of those layers, not only one. There are two layers that contain routing for XO-1, and one for XO-1.5, XO-1.75, and XO-4. The mesh on XO-1 automatically maintains a list of mesh nodes in the wireless module, considered to be physical routing. The other layer is TCP/IP routing, which is provided by Linux, and is not unique to OLPC XO, so it would be redundant to describe it here. Look for a text that describes TCP/IP. --Quozl 01:32, 10 April 2013 (UTC)
- Hello. I would like to know, is there anyway where the protocol parameters and be changed and analyzed? Thanks.
- Hello, sorry. I would like to know if mesh routing protocol parameters on OLPC laptops can be altered (modified/changed) and analyzed? thanks