Webkit is a lightweight browser engine, comparable to Gecko. This page documents the procedure and results of replacing Gecko with WebKit in Browse. Also see the Browse implementation discussion for details of another trial of Browse with WebKit. If you just want to try it, grab the latest bundle from
It should have the libraries you need in the bundle to run it on an XO with one of the recent F9-based joyrides.
is a good reference. The Git repository is just a git-svn mirror of the Subversion one, so choose your fancy.
Next, is PyWebKitGtk
There is a Subversion repository on the Google Code branch, but they mention that the main development goes on in git. Plus, the example included is actually based off of Browse!
git clone git://repo.or.cz/pywebkitgtk.git
WebKit might take a while, but they should both be relatively stable.
 Browse branch
I started with the master branch of Browse from
and my branch (webkit) is located here
I tried to keep the code and methods as close as possible to the original Browse.
- Page titles are updated correctly
- Browse navigates to addresses you type in the titlebar
- Load status is displayed
- Reload and stop buttons work
- Zoom buttons work - fullpage zoom
- Gnash works!
- Saving and resuming to Journal (probably not too hard)
- Back, Forward and History (probably not too hard)
- probably the search bar
- probably copy and paste (easy)