Builds 466-495 Notes
- The "My Name" and "My Color" text now properly displays on B3s in the intro screen, but the text is very large (intentional?)
- The XO cannot load Sugar on build 495.
Build 494, RC2
- sugar 0.65-0.9.20070706gitcebf25739b.olpc2
- Nicer tooltips. Improved sizing logic. (marco)
- Do not popdown the frame when palettes are active. (marco)
- Add macedonian translation. (ArangelAngov)
- Add brazilian translation. (DiegoZacarao)
- Some fixes for changing the selected clipboard object. (tomeu)
- Fix palettes around the mesh edges. (edsiper)
- #1930: Only take preview before closing. (tomeu)
- Use HAL to get battery informations.
- Improvements in the mesh view layout.
- Hide the active palette when another popup.
- Icons in the buddy menu items
- hal 0.5.10-0.1.20070706git.olpc2
- update to HEAD to get battery information
- totem 2.18.2-5.olpc2
- rebuild against xulrunner
- Connect 5
- Fix buddy handles for Salut (Link Local) channels (smcv)
- UI improvement to show whose turn it is, below grid (morgs)
- TamTam 30
- Clicking the close button in Edit and Synthlab goes back to Sugar. (Flipo)
- Fix to the Journal load and save. (Flipo, lync)
- Ogg player on the welcome page. (lync)
- Demo tune instruments and tempo are randomly generated (Olipet)
- lab placeholder files were reduced in size by 95% (Olipet)
- Write 5
- Add Brazilian translation. (DiegoZacarao)
- Journal 24
- Add some debug messages for measuring the time taken on refreshing the list view. Please include this info in any tickets about journal performance. (tomeu)
- Add brazilian translation. (DiegoZacarao)
- Large amounts of lag when clicking activity icons from the taskbar
- Storage device icons are not removed from Journal after removing without unmounting first.
- Erase option in journal does not remove files from storage devices.
- No way to copy files to a storage device; drag and drop is broken.
- Copying in Paint does not add an image to the clipboard.
- Battery indicator does not appear in Home view.
- User setup screen does not display properly.
- Punctuation marks are not selected properly in Write.
- Cannot remove a file from the clipboard.
- "Go back to main screen" button in TamTam Edit quits TamTam instead.
- No more graphical errors on B2s.
- Both mesh view and access point icons appear in Home view and indicate that they have no connectivity, but I am able to connect to the internet just fine (usually). Sounds like the problem mentioned in #1910, but it's now occurring with access point icons as well.
- Write now properly adds an icon to the mesh view when shared.
- Still has all the same problems seeing and displaying other XOs, and B2s still seem to see fewer than B3s.
- Clipboard selections can now be picked manually from the left side. Intended functionality.
- Had my first opportunity to join a shared activity, which properly updated the right side of the frame to display the users in the activity, but I couldn't tell whether or not the user I was collaborating with could see any of the things I was doing.
- Mesh is nonfunctional.
- Takes several attempts to get WEP APs working.
- All top-row keys (and maybe others) eventually cease to do anything.
- My B2 machine will not boot this build.
- No text labels in firstboot screen
- Arrow in firstboot screen is only hilighted when *not* moused over
- Brightness keys do not work on firstboot screen
- Several tracebacks in every logfile
- Can't share Web activity sessions
- Can't share Chat activity sessions
- Still need WPA support in the UI
(I will be filing bugs for all of these) - Zack
- NetworkManager 1:0.6.5-0.8.svn2627.olpc2
- fix assert when selecting mesh network
- dbus-python 0.82.0-2.olpc2
- fix cpu hogging issues
- telepathy-salute 0.1.3.1-0.1.20070705darcs.olpc2
- enable the extra OLPC bits for tubes
- avahi-autoipd 0.6.20-3.fc7
- have a Require(pre) on shadow-utils so /usr/bin/adduser doesn't fail during install
- this should fix connection to the mesh when there are no school servers or mesh portals
- fix the capture source to be the mic
- pull in gnome-python2-gnomevfs
- make ext3 build slightly smaller than 1G so it fits on 1G flash drives
- Journal integration
- New sounds
- Beats per page in edit
- Keyboard recording in edit
- Network not yet working
- You can see other XOs in the mesh and group views now! People can share activities and everything! This is awesome.
- Most important thing: XOs are VERY erratic about detecting other XOs, especially after bootup. On the vast majority of bootups I wasn't able to detect any XOs. When I did it was usually 2. On one instance, I detected 10-12. I had 3 sitting in front of me so I should have at least been consistently finding those. In general, the B3 seems to have an easier time finding them than the B2s. (Other activities that require the internet work fine.)
- Can still be spotty about connecting to the mesh in the first place, making the whole problem of detecting XOs doubly messy.
- No more crashes from presence service, or at least not in my experience.
- Had no trouble opening Etoys on a B3, but can confirm that it won't launch on a B2.
- User name's don't appear in group view.
- XOs remain on another XO's mesh view even after they've been shut off
- XOs can't always see each other in neighborhood view
- Connect's activity buttons don't always display properly
- Battery indicator is inaccurate
- Icons overlapping each other in mesh view
- Activities appear to time out, then reappear
- Write does not create an icon in the mesh view when shared
- XO user names sometimes don't appear properly
- In the neighborhood view, the "Make Friend" option properly shouldn't appear if the user is already your friend.
- Resuming TamTam from the journal just brings the user to the main screen, rather than the file he was working on. It still seems to use the traditional save/load system and isn't fully integrated with journal.
- From home with a B2, and no connection to a mesh; I had to add a wep key a few times to get it to connect to AP. Then I tried to open Etoys and it will never open.
- J5 said he was able to open Etoys with this code on a B3 with no problem. Not sure what his network connection was.
- Mesh connectivity issue: From work, my B2 successfully connected to the mesh and I browsed the internet, but the mesh icon continues to blink the full inside circle (which used to mean it hasn't finished connecting); and in the home view, the mesh is still grey.
- Etoys doesn't start for me at work either. It continues to fade in and out as if it is trying to start, but never gets past that. The Journal never records that Etoys was running.
- Base OS:
- ext3 qemu builds
- now boot again
- have a scalled grub option for running on smaller screens
- ext3 qemu builds
- Mousing over the context menu of a clipboard selection no longer removes the Frame, but only if the clipboard selection is a file rather than a clipping.
- The Remove option on a clipboard selection's context menu does not work properly, but only if the clipboard selection is a file rather than a clipping.
- Pressing F3 with the cursor in the Frame area no longer allows the Frame to be toggleable in Home view. This is the intended functionality.
- XO is still having trouble connecting to the mesh upon startup, and the presence service hogging memory is still a major problem.
- Journal entry names are not preserved in list view
- Tooltips from activity buttons are getting stuck on screen
- Shared activities remain in the neighborhood view even after no one is using them
- Avahi causing sugar-presence-service to peg CPU and fill disk?
- Canceling NM's key dialog brings you to the home screen
- Calculator's Mode, CE and AC buttons are unreadable with the backlight turned off.
- Journal entry previews are sometimes just screenshots of the journal.
- ... I can't get on the mesh, OR connect to a WEP AP.
- Base OS:
- NetworkManager - 1:0.6.5-0.8.svn2626.olpc2
- Make anycast addresses configurable though /etc/NetworkManager/anycast.conf
- Fix manual reactivation of the mesh device to start at step 1
- Make sure dhclient is stopped before switching mesh channels
- sugar-datastore - 0.2.2-0.5.20070703gita248b5cb79.olpc2
- Support for binary properties
- Indexer fixes
- External devices fixes
- sugar - 0.65-0.4.20070703gitcc2b8884c0.olpc2
- Use the new palette widget everywhere in the UI
- Do not always show the shutdown palette on startup
- Implement primary and secondary state for palettes
- Fix several frame/zoom level bugs
- Call - taken out of builds for now
- Chat -New version added fixes
- Etoys - back in build
- Home view does not properly indicate connection to mesh
- XO sometimes can't detect mesh network or access points
- Idling in Neighborhood view crashes X server
- Empty black text box displayed in Chat upon startup
- Journal does not create an entry for Etoys
- Journal's "copy to clipboard" option does nothing
- Cannot manually select the current clipboard selection
- Read activity does not auto-launch when a pdf is downloaded
- Frame disappears when mousing over a clipboard selection's context menu
- Selecting text in Write automatically switches to Text tab
- Journal lags a lot when you switch into it
- Search filters in Journal now work properly.
- Camera now properly displays a real-time display of the camera's input (#1880). The buttons for switching between photo and video #1879) are still wrong, though.
- Paint no longer breaks the donut! However, it still has the problem of creating a grey mesh icon on the donut when tabbing between activities (#1759)
- Several of the frame/zoom bugs have been fixed, as was noted; however, it is still possible to unlock the Frame in home view by pressing the F3 button while in an activity with the cursor in the Frame area. For more detailed reference see #1243.
NOTE: This build will allow laptops to only communicate with other laptops with 482 or higher. Also, the school server needs to have upgraded to the latest marvell firmware and anycast needs to be turned on.
This build doesn't include avahi-autoip, so it will not get on the mesh. There should be another build today (7/3) or tomorrow (7/4) that can get on the mesh. It can connect to an infrastructure access point. (Unless it is WPA AP, which are increasingly common... -Zack)
- Clipboard objects can't be Opened or Added to Journal
- Tracebacks in presenceservice.log
- Tracebacks in Journal.log
- Debug messages and traceback in indexer.log
- tracebacks in Chat.log
- C API version mismatch?
- Anything filter in Journal always shows everything
- Anything in the Journal search text box results in empty list
Build 478, RC1 notes
Change log since 472:
- Add avahi-autoipd
- Fix up keysymbols for keyboard
- Autoip work
- Better palette positioning
- Reject invalid nick names in the intro screen
- Make startup notification work from the journal and clipboard
- Do not create a new object when resuming from the journal
- Arabic translation
- Button to copy objects to the clipboard.
- Spanish and Arabic translations.
- Palette positioning fix.
- I was able to connect to my home AP with WEP key. One XO worked the first time and one of them took about 3 tries of entering the WEP key (and I'm pretty confident I used the right key).
- On another XO, when it wouldn't connect to my AP, I logged in as root, typed 'ifconfig' and saw that there was no eth0 interface. I typed 'ifup eth0' twice (the first time it failed). And then it connected to my AP. (I'll write this up as a bug)
- After the first XO connected to the infrastructure AP, I tried to connect the second XO via the Mesh. That was never able to connect, but I did see that an 'olpc-mesh' ad-hock network shows up on iStumbler.
- I was able to open a number of activities (pretty much one at a time) and do some basic testing. Everything responded very slowly and gets incredibly slow after only a few minutes of trying to test. When it got to the point of no response in about 60 seconds (for something that usually takes only a few seconds), then I would reboot.
- I'm not sure how to close some activities.
- At this point I think we can start adding bugs to trac.
- The B2 essentially can't run build 478 for whatever reason. Takes extremely long to do the most basic things, and hangs a lot. It also runs noticeably slower than other builds on the B3 in terms of load times and lag (especially noticeable when tabbing between programs). One of the most noticeable things is the cursor frequently lagging and then "catching up."
- Switching between the console and Sugar causes a lot more lag than in other builds. On the B2, it was enough lag to hang the system permanently.
- On one bootup, the mouseclick and keyboard stopped working, though the mouse still scrolled. Anything that should have triggered a dropdown menu or tooltip did not. Rebooting solved the problem.
- If you switch from Neighborhood view to Home view while moused over a wireless access point or mesh portal icon, the icon's tooltip will persist through the switch and stay on the screen, even after you open activities. They will go away if clicked.
- Graphics and icons frequently get "stuck" in the upper right hand corner. Often, if there is a tab or some other icon in the upper right corner, the tab will persist, either in its original form, or as a grey box of the same size, when you switch views.
- There are a number of graphical glitches that occur only on B2s. For many icons and images, half will appear properly, but the other half is corrupted.
- Journal no longer opens automatically. The icon appears on the donut, but the window doesn't open until the donut icon is clicked. I think this is intentional? It's a good change, as it was a pain to have to wait for the Journal to load before doing anything else.
- When tabbing back into Journal, large portions of the window are obscured/grey.
- That Chat icon in Journal does not match the Chat icon on the taskbar.
- Switching between photos and videos in Camera is very unintuitive right now. Looks like part of the GUI is broken. The only way to switch between them is to use the two arrow buttons under the Camera tab and keep pressing the eye until it turns red, even though the first arrow button never becomes deselected. The word "Activity" in the Activity tab changes colors as you do this for some reason. Eventually, if you've tabbed around for long enough, the GUI will correct itself and behave normally.
- Lots of activities can only be quit with alt-C.
- Overall, the most notable problems (aside from some major holdovers from previous builds like the Paint donut bug) are performance issues and graphical glitches. Tabbing between different views and programs both lags the system and messes up icons and tabs.
- Neighborhood view tooltips are not fixed in this build.
- Camera mode icons are not fixed in this build.
- No live output from camera.
Build 472 notes
- XO is not getting on the mesh.
==> (J5) For now if you want you can log into root at a terminal and type:
chmod +x /etc/NetworkManager/callouts/*
- Some activities loaded and started up... the camera keeps hanging for me; I did get a picture out of it before the activity got hung up.
- The activities that did start up showed up in the journal, and provided a more detailed view. Resume worked for me on the newsreader activity which had started up properly.
- Like Kim said, the mesh is very broken. It couldn't successfully connect to begin with, so I had no internect connection. Also, if you go to Neighborhood and right-clicked on the Mesh icon, it (as well as all the wireless access points) disappeared from the view.
- Additionally, right-clicking on a wireless access point icon got me stuck in Neighborhood view - couldn't open frames or switch views.
- The biggest improvement seems to be that Journal appears to be working a lot better. Resume and preview work now, and search appears to at least open up a search window, though it doesn't find much (unless I type nothing in the text field).
- Shared activities now appear on the mesh.
- I can't quit out of journal anymore, which is good.
- If the user is supposed to be able to click with the trackpad, the sensitivity is still off. On at least one occasion I moused over the "shutdown" option in the middle of the screen and phantom-clicked it. Actually, that does highlight a potential flaw with the click-shutdown icon being in the middle of the screen - even without the trackpad problem, the chance of accidentally clicking it when, say, trying to click an icon on the donut, would be considerable.
- Didn't have any problems with Camera - all activities loaded fine for me except Paint and Call - but the real-time display is still not functional.
- Chat and Call have the same activity icon.
- Paint, rotate screen, and frame toggle are still broken in all the same ways as 466.
- When left idle for ~20 minutes, the screen's display bugged out. Looked like it was trying to go into suspend, but messed up.
Build 466 notes
- Search feature in Journal is broken, and you cannot Resume from Journal.
- Journal is not on the taskbar, but unlike 465 it opens properly upon boot now. However, since I can still quit out of it with alt-C, there should either be a) a way to open it from the taskbar or b) no way to quit out of it.
==> Quit out of it with ctl c.
- Opening Paint completely breaks the activity donut (this was a problem in 465 too). Once Paint is opened, icons no longer appear on the donut, and clicking the spaces on the donut will not switch you to that activity. All the icons for activities you open appear clipped on the left side of the screen. Also, Paint itself doesn't open properly either.
- Frequently, activities will open when I mouse over them on the taskbar but don't click them. This was an issue in 465 and it seems even more prevalent now.
- Mouse speed is still much higher than before (is this intentional?)
- Frame Toggle key does not work.
- Rotate screen key does not do anything.
- Cannot power down by pressing the power button - you must either use the option from the XO icon at the center of the donut, or hold down the power button.
- Read now has an icon for opening files (as opposed to 465), but it doesn't work.
- Camera still has no real-time display and the video function is still broken.
- When you press the power button, nothing happens (if you hold it down for >5 seconds it shuts down immediately). This is going to be suspend soon...so think of it as a feature.
- To shut down, now you can use the icon on the home page. When you hover over your XO icon you will get see a shutdown flyover. This worked for me.
- I opened Abiword, wrote some text, then went to the journal. It showed a new entry, after another click or two I saw a third Abiword entry. None of them let me resume.
- I tried opening other activities (camera, calc, paint) and they would show up in the donut while it was trying to open, then just disappear.
- After closing the journal with CTL C, I was able to open another activity (paint).
- After some inactivity, the screen went into a suspend mode and resumed when I hit a key! (I believe that is the proper behavior)