Contributors program/February 26, 2010


Jump to: navigation, search

* XO-1.5 early production machines now available:

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!

* Fast Review of the 6 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

  #1 XO-1.5 for activities for development and testing - Thailand
  #2 XO-1.5 application and 2 Serials Adapters - Tuebingen, Germany
  #3 XO-1.5 & XO-1's for SocialCalc, Newspaper Activity, Listen and Spell, Deducto, Color Deducto, Video Editor, Video Chat - New Delhi, India AND Uruguay; South Africa; Canada; Paraguay; Sri Lanka
  #4 XO-1.5 for for Jolicloud by Krim International - Paris, France
  #5 OLPC Learning Club DC / Sugar Labs DC Proposal to OLPC for XO-1.5 C2 Machines
  #6 The Graham and Parks Alternative Public School with - Cambridge, Massachusetts

<CanoeBerry> Very sorry mtg delayed a bit longer still!
<dogi> :)
<CanoeBerry> dogi is in charge while i prepare.. german discipline
<dogi> with italian humor :P ???
<dogi> So who wants to have an XO 1.5 C2? Please tell us about your goals?
* dirakx  Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
* dogi_  has joined #olpc-meeting
<dogi_> hi dogi
* dogi is speaking with myself here ...
<CanoeBerry> Finally fixed, agenda forthcoming..
<dogi> +1 CanoeBerry
<dogi> thx cjb
* dogi_ is now known as treehouse
<treehouse> please send your ideas to
<dogi> or if they are sugar related to
<CanoeBerry> Yikes.. ~10 more min an finally we can move. Apologies all.
<treehouse> als herzlich willkommen zu CanoeBerry contributor meeting
<treehouse> spricht hier jemand deutsch
<dogi> o italiano?
<dogi> is there somebody new here?
<abland> hello
<abland> this is allison bland
<abland> with waveplace foundation
<dogi> hi abland
<abland> hi dogi
<treehouse> griasdi allison
<abland> griasdi treehouse
<dogi> tell me something about what you are doing for waveplace
<treehouse> do you have some links to show us?
* treehouse 's link is
<abland> I've been teaching Etoys in XO pilots in cambridge, ma preparing courseware for future pilots essentially
<abland> particularly getting ready for our Haiti pilot at Matenwa
<abland> Matenwa is the site of a 6 week pilot beginning March 22
<abland> *
<dogi> abland, thx for the links :)
<treehouse> +1
<dogi> hi silbe
<silbe> dogi: hi!
<treehouse> adam sagt du bist spitze und er wuerde gern noch mehr zu deinem antrag wissen
<treehouse> dein antrag silbe ist auch dabei ...
<silbe> was möchte er denn wissen?
<treehouse> mehr
<silbe> <g>
<treehouse> oder besser er will links
<treehouse> zu deiner projectseite
<silbe> zu was denn? im antrag waren ca. 20 Links drin...
<silbe> we can continue in english, BTW, if anyone else would like to understand us :)
<dogi> yes
<dogi> what is your main project page link there ... 20 links was too much ...
<silbe> If Adam can point out some specific part of my proposal I'm more than happy to provide more details.
<silbe> That would be I guess.
<dogi> cool thx silbew
<dogi> -w
* ndoiron  Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC (Ping timeout))
<silbe> I haven't worked much on those pages since GSoC finished, but it's mostly still accurate. Will add a link to my thesis once it's published (i.e. next week). It's in english, so language shouldn't be an issue.
<CanoeBerry> At long last we can begin!
<CanoeBerry> Agenda Here:
* manu__  has joined #olpc-meeting
<silbe> dogi: oh, and the project site for CP purposes is but it doesn't contain anything more than what was in the email.
<CanoeBerry> Shall we?
<dogi> +1
<CanoeBerry> silbe: thanks for being so patient..

[ PROJECT #1 - XO-1.5 for activities for development and testing - Thailand ]

<CanoeBerry> OK, please all critique/approve/deny/mentor Project #1 here:
<silbe> CanoeBerry: No problem at all, I'm half-away working on my thesis anyway.
<CanoeBerry> XO-1.5 for activities for development and testing - Thailand
<CanoeBerry> ] 
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 1 XO-1.5 over undetermined months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    This was the game i had developed in 2007 so i want to develope similar
<CanoeBerry>    academic activities for XO.
<CanoeBerry> All votes welcome!
<cjb> doesn't seem to be any justification for a machine
<CanoeBerry> Who knows this Thai group?
<CanoeBerry> Anybody?
<cjb> it's just writing a sugar activity; that's what SoaS is for.
<dogi> never heard about
* Quozl  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> "I am pallning to deploy 3 python based game(2010 may - 2010
<CanoeBerry> august)"
<CanoeBerry> I'm willing to listen but we need more detail.
<CanoeBerry> Any other votes please?
<CanoeBerry> Calling once...
<CanoeBerry> Calling twice..
<CanoeBerry> Calling thrice..
* Blaketh  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> CONCLUSION: On Hold until we get more detail.
* harrisony  has joined #olpc-meeting

[ PROJECT #2 - XO-1.5 application and 2 Serials Adapters - Tuebingen, Germany ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto Project #2 now -- please all help critique/mentor:
<CanoeBerry> XO-1.5 application and 2 Serials Adapters - Tuebingen, Germany
<CanoeBerry> ]
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 2 XO-1.5's and 2 Serial Adapters over undetermined months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    Add version support to the Sugar data store. Since data store
<CanoeBerry>    performance directly impacts user experience, direct testing on the
<CanoeBerry>    XO-1.5 with the built-in MicroSD card (=> slow write performance [5]
<CanoeBerry>    in general, potentially write amplification effect) would be very
<CanoeBerry>    useful.
<CanoeBerry>    Additionally I'm -- as Bernie Innocenti phrased it --
<CanoeBerry>    "hacking all over the place", including kernel and hardware work. My
<CanoeBerry>    offer to diagnose & repair XOs (keeping in mind that I don't have
<CanoeBerry>    advanced equipment like a scope - got everything list for the
<CanoeBerry>    Repair Center Kit [21], though) still holds as well.
<CanoeBerry>    [5]
<CanoeBerry>    [21]
<cjb> sounds good, +1
<dogi> +1
* satellit  has joined #olpc-meeting
<bemasc> Is this silbe's?
<CanoeBerry> silbe: can you give us a quick shout on your direction in coming months?
<CanoeBerry> yeah
<harrisony> +1
<silbe> CanoeBerry: Well, prio #1 is making it more stable
<CanoeBerry> Like a Rock.
<silbe> There's at least one bug I've discovered recently and fixed, but not committed yet.
<Quozl> +1
<silbe> recent mainline changes need to be integrated as well
<CanoeBerry> For the general public, what's the payoff here for Sugar .90 or such later this year, in plain English?
<silbe> Next steps might be a) changing UI to make it look like Undo/Redo inside an activity and b) analyzing real-world performance (instead of just the test suite) to make sure it's reasonable fast for regular usage.
<Quozl> well, 0.88 adds a backport of 3g wireless modem support (already present in other desktops).
<bemasc> silbe: Your work is important, and I want to make sure you have whatever you need.
<cjb> yep
<silbe> CanoeBerry: Not sure it'll be able to make it into mainline 0.90. Version support is pretty major stuff, there are a lot of things (UI-side mainly) to get polished.
<bemasc> silbe: It sounds like you don't need XO-1.5 yet, but you will soon, for performance testing.
<silbe> I plan to make my branch available to more testers, though.
<silbe> by using custom SoaS spins, Debian package snapshots, etc.
<CanoeBerry> OK. So long as some cool toys or another will be offered by Christmas, no matter the "pricing" charged by this data "store" ;)
<CanoeBerry> +1
<CanoeBerry> Final thoughts?
* kjcole  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: we're concluding Project #2 here.
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<cjb> getting XOs to core Sugar developers is important.
<CanoeBerry> Calling twice..
<CanoeBerry> Calling thrice..
<silbe> CanoeBerry: not sure I understand you. Probably you mean as long as I have something useful to present by december, i'll get one? :=
<cjb> it's only 1 XO-1.5; I'm in favor of sending it now.
<CanoeBerry> Sure, we kids love gifts in Dec not matter our religion, APPROVED.
<CanoeBerry> silbe: can you use 2 XO-1.5's ?
<CanoeBerry> Please reply by email if so.
<CanoeBerry> Onto Project #3?
<silbe> CanoeBerry: will do.
<silbe> also the serial plugs would be very useful.
<CanoeBerry> Right -- those will arrive separately from Cambridge, Massachusetts.
<silbe> CanoeBerry: great, thanks!

[ PROJECT #3 - XO-1.5 & XO-1's for SocialCalc, Newspaper Activity, Listen and Spell, Deducto, Color Deducto, Video Editor, Video Chat - New Delhi, India AND Uruguay; South Africa; Canada; Paraguay; Sri Lanka ]

<CanoeBerry> All please help review this extensive work ongoing in India -- Project #3:
<CanoeBerry> XO-1.5 & XO-1's for SocialCalc, Newspaper Activity, Listen and Spell, 
<CanoeBerry> Deducto, Color Deducto, Video Editor, Video Chat - New Delhi, India AND 
<CanoeBerry> Uruguay; South Africa; Canada; Paraguay; Sri Lanka
<CanoeBerry> ]
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 4 XO1.5's and 4 XO-1's over 8 months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry> All critiques/votes/mentoring most welcome.
* GrannieV  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Oops, please also check out:
<GrannieV> ???
<CanoeBerry> GrannieV: welcome
<kjcole> (FYI broken link in the e-mail agenda
<GrannieV> Oops! I meant B not V.  It's a Castellano thing
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: right. can you find the real link nearby possibly?
<bemasc> This is manu__'s request
<manu__> bemasc: Right. Thanks Ben.
<kjcole> CanoeBerry: It's redundant: (without the -and-services) takes you to the newspaper activity page).
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Adam, how have you been?
<CanoeBerry> manu__: I'm hungry! Can you present your pitch quick?
<CanoeBerry> Then I can have lunch by dinnertime if we wrap up here!
<CanoeBerry> manu__: plz fix the above link later please (by email if nec)
<manu__> CanoeBerry: We plan to build collaboration in 5 projects, and start 2 projects from scratch.
<manu__> Video Editor and Video Chat are the projects we plan to do from scratch.
<bemasc> manu__: Are your projects by volunteer or paid developers?
<manu__> bemasc: Paid developers.
<CanoeBerry> Excellent-- is your client paying well ;)
<bemasc> how is SEETA funded?
<manu__> bemasc: By me.
<kjcole> The web site looks like there's a track record... partners... Bodes well.
<bemasc> ok!
* julianob  has joined #olpc-meeting
<Quozl> Stephen Thorne did a Video Chat activity, perhaps it needs integration.
<CanoeBerry> julianob: Welcome
<manu__> kjcole: We have collaborators as of now. The only partner seems to be FCC as of now.
<GrannieV> All this is for the XO-1.5?  Will it run on XO-1? SoaS v-1? SoaS v.2?
<bemasc> I'm aware of 3 different Video Chat efforts... and I think we should not attempt to merge them.
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Digiliteracy team are our friends.
<manu__> We don't ask them to pay us. We work together.
<CanoeBerry> We overload the word "client" in NGO circles ;)
<kjcole> Aside: We're starting (I hope) to see some genuine interest at Gallaudet in partnering w/ DigitialLiteracy and I installed VideoChat on a couple of XO's yesterday...
<CanoeBerry> manu__: can you elaborate a bit for GrannieV above?
<kjcole> bemasc: Oh. In that case "I installed the VideoChat at" ;-)
<GrannieV> hi Kevin. I'd like to know more about Video Chat. Can you shoot me an email?
<CanoeBerry> GrannieV: please type... /nick GrannieB
<manu__> CanoeBerry: sure.
<CanoeBerry> GrannieV: please keep that discussion in the open here or on-list
* GrannieV is now known as GrannieB
<CanoeBerry> Where possible!
<manu__> GrannieV: Yes, Caroline would like us to port Video Chat on SoaS. In touch with her too.
<CanoeBerry> (Caroline Meeks)
<GrannieB> just curious. Figured everyone else knew all about it (Video Chat)
<manu__> kjcole: Did Video Chat run on XO-1.5?
<CanoeBerry> Manu: can you present to one of our "OLPC Radio" Sunday Support Meetings in March?
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Sure.
<CanoeBerry> We will change the time from 4PM EST if so!  To accomodate the subcontinent.
<kjcole> manu__: Don't have a 1.5... yet.  So, no idea...
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Thanks Adam.
<CanoeBerry> Sounds great. Where do we stand?
<Quozl> (XO-1.5 currently lacks video driver support for streaming video, we have someone working on it, software fix)
<CanoeBerry> Let's vote -- what outstanding dreams & concerns do we have?
<manu__> <Quozl>: Right. That is why, we would like to get started with XO-1.
<manu__> We want  XO-1s for Video Editor and Video Chat projects.
<kjcole> GrannieB: (Think Skype for the XO, sort of.)
<GrannieB> It would be nice if things would work on SoaS too for folks that can't get XOs
<manu__> CanoeBerry: I would also be coming to MIT during May. Will be presenting a paper at MIT LINC conference 2010.
<manu__> Will look forward to meeting if you are around.
<CanoeBerry> manu__: have you posted to ?
<CanoeBerry> I do not see Seeta listed there yet... plz fix!
<CanoeBerry> OK, let's all vote.
<CanoeBerry> +1
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Absolutely. Will do at the earliest.
<GrannieB> +1
<bemasc> +1
<Quozl> abstain.
<kjcole> manu__ With the resources of the lending library, and a boatload of deaf students from K to graduate school, I may be able to drum up beta testers...
<CanoeBerry> Quozl: care to explain? No oblig.
<manu__> kjcole: Great.
<dogi> abstain
<kjcole> manu__ note the emphasis on MAY. ;-)
<kjcole> +1
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: i'm unfamiliar with manu__'s prior work and i'm way way biased since i've got a job, that's all.
<CanoeBerry> dogi concurs
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: i'm inclined to +1, but i'm suspicious of myself, the proposal looks good.
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<CanoeBerry> Calling twice..
<dogi> Quozl, +1
<CanoeBerry> Calling thrice..
<CanoeBerry> CONCLUSION: Approved
<CanoeBerry> Thanks all!
<CanoeBerry> manu__: any idea which Sunday works best for you in March?
<CanoeBerry> Email me if you don't know now..
<CanoeBerry> Onto project #4..
<CanoeBerry> Please all critique/mentor this:
<manu__> kjcole: March 7, that is my birthday date :-)
<manu__> CanoeBerry: March 7, that is my birthday date :-)
<CanoeBerry> Cool!
<CanoeBerry> Many thanks.  Let us know the best time (Boston Time) for you.

[ PROJECT #4 - XO-1.5 for for Jolicloud by Krim International - Paris, France ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto Project #4:
<CanoeBerry> XO-1.5 for for Jolicloud by Krim International - Paris, France
<CanoeBerry> ]
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 1 XO-1.5's over undetermined months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    *Jolicloud* is a Linux <>-based 
<CanoeBerry> operating system <> that is 
<CanoeBerry> currently in development
<CanoeBerry>    and Pre-beta <> testing. The 
<CanoeBerry> project was founded in 2009 by Tariq Krim who is
<CanoeBerry>    based in Paris, France.^[1] 
<CanoeBerry> <> 
<CanoeBerry> Jolicloud is built upon Debian and Ubuntu 9.10,
<CanoeBerry>    but is tweaked to be more suitable for computers that have weaker
<CanoeBerry>    specifications in terms of disk storage 
<CanoeBerry> <>, memory 
<CanoeBerry> <> and screen size.^[2] 
<CanoeBerry> <> It is
<CanoeBerry>    designed to run on relatively low-powered netbook 
<CanoeBerry> <> computers.^[3] 
<CanoeBerry> <> Jolicloud
<CanoeBerry>    relies heavily on Mozilla Prism-based packages for running web-based
<CanoeBerry>    applications. [excerpt from Wikipedia]
<manu__> kjcole: Let me send you an invite to ScalableC ( We should have a community of beta testers there.
<CanoeBerry> dogi: please comment on the above you have compared to Google Android..
<manu__> We would having videos on sign language up there soon.
<CanoeBerry> (One of the Google Androids..)
<manu__> kjcole: Please let me know your e-mail address, and I'll send you an invite.
<Quozl> Enabling Jolicloud would be similar to previous allowing of Puppy ... we've also since had Tiny Core enabled through enthusiasm alone, and the Debian side of XO support can do with some more encouragement.  +1.
<CanoeBerry> Even if SJ pre-approved this Krim/Jolicloud project :)
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Will 12:30 pm work on Sunday?
<kjcole> manu__
<CanoeBerry> manu__: can we do 12noon Boston Time?
* Orange-Red-63  has joined #olpc-meeting
<cjb> Quozl: not that similar to puppy
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Sure.
<dogi> the gui there looked in the first moment like some weired android mod ...
<manu__> kjcole: Thank you.
<cjb> in that jolicloud's about cloud computing, which isn't very relevant to OLPC
<CanoeBerry> manu__: which really means 12:10pm til 12:20pm then Q+A, ok?
<CanoeBerry> Sorry 12:10pm to 12:30PM then Q+A
* Orange-Red-63  Quit (Client Quit)
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Absolutely.
<GrannieB> ??? I can't find an application for this one???
<Quozl> cjb: no, not functionally.  i meant in terms of a cross section of smaller footprint distributions.
<bemasc> Getting alternative operating systems working on XOs has been part of contributors since the beginning, giving away laptops for OpenBSD porting IIRC.
<cjb> it's true.
<CanoeBerry> manu__: Deal, many thanks for sending me 3 sentences in advance, so I can promote your talk. You have the choice of public talk of OLPC volunteers only.
* tonyf  has joined #olpc-meeting
<Quozl> ... what i hope is that one day one will spring forth and multiply, if we keep seeding them.
<Quozl> ... and they won't do it if we don't seed them.
<CanoeBerry> GrannieB: you are correct -- SJ pre-approved this one without a full proposal.
<bemasc> ok, then no need for debate.
<kjcole> What's the edge-case here?  I mean, if it's a cloud thang, what is it that one hopes to learn from the XO and will it make lots of difference if it's 1.0 or 1.5?
<GrannieB> then I guess we all vote +1. I trust sj
<CanoeBerry> Right-- but let's encourage contact with Mr. Krim if anyone here has anything to offer -- onwards.
* dogi likes their mission statment
<treehouse> dogi: +1
<cjb> sure, it's a great mission statement for people with computers that are always connected to the internet :)
<CanoeBerry> All should feel free to contact: Tariq Krim
<CanoeBerry> OK, onto Project #5 now.
<GrannieB> a web page with an application "after the fact" might be a valid condition for shipping so people will know what they are doing and don't duplicate
<CanoeBerry> GrannieB: explain more

[ PROJECT #5 - OLPC Learning Club DC / Sugar Labs DC Proposal to OLPC for XO-1.5 C2 Machines ]

<CanoeBerry> Anyway let's critique Project #5 now...
<CanoeBerry> OLPC Learning Club DC / Sugar Labs DC Proposal to OLPC for XO 1.5 C2 
<CanoeBerry> Machines
<CanoeBerry> ]
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 6 XO-1.5's over 18 months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    * Serve as strong full-service grassroots presence for OLPC and Sugar
<CanoeBerry>      Labs in mid-Atlantic U.S.
<CanoeBerry>    * Sustain interest in monthly meetings with latest OLPC technology.
<CanoeBerry>      Catalyze interest in special projects (such as XO laptop for capturing
<CanoeBerry>      audio of bees)
<CanoeBerry>    * Operate testbed of XO laptops for hardware testing, regression
<CanoeBerry>      testing and software burn-in
<CanoeBerry>    * Direct support for XO deployments in El Salvador and Zambia
<CanoeBerry>    * Maintain XO Lending Library (In addition to existing XO 1.0s, XO
<CanoeBerry>      1.5s to be available on demand for OLPC staff demos in D.C.-area as
<CanoeBerry>      needed.)
<CanoeBerry>    * Support and promote DC XO Repair Center
<CanoeBerry>    * Continue releases of TimeLapse 3x /yr.
<CanoeBerry>    * Exhibit at local events such as NECC, Takoma Park Folk Festival,
<CanoeBerry>      TedXMidAtlantic Baltimore
<CanoeBerry>    * Host MIT Scratch Day 2010 in May 2010
<CanoeBerry>    * Host documentation sprints
<CanoeBerry>    * Working closely with LEGO Denmark using XO 1.5 and 1.0 to test Sugar
<CanoeBerry>      compatible robotics software (March - June 2010)
<manu__> CanoeBerry: Sure. Will do. Thank you.
<manu__> kjcole: I have send you an invite at ScalableC.
<kjcole> Abstain -- for reasons that should be obvious to many ;-)
<CanoeBerry> manu__: 3 points need not be 3 full sentences -- just email me within the next couple days your topic/agenda
<manu__> CanoeBerry:  Absolutely. Will do.
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: then you have an obligation to introduce/advocate for your cause before we vote!
<manu__>  I have send an invite to to you too.
<bemasc> OLPC/Sugar Labs DC seems to the flagship lending library.
<CanoeBerry> Everything is corrupt in DC -- wait is this the Boston Tea ParTEA channel?
<Quozl> +1
<CanoeBerry> Inappropriate Joke, sorry..
<GrannieB> Will they lend these to developers in the DC area?
<kjcole> CanoeBerry - Left-hand vs. right-hand issues: I was at a Red Hat event last night during discussion and at the DC Community Broadband Summit this morning, 
promoting XO's, Fedora, Ubuntu, et al.
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: let's hear your trumpets!
<CanoeBerry> Why do you deserve 6 XO-1.5's ?
<kjcole> So, I'm a bit behind on the proposal.  However, I know we're starting to do some work w/ LEGO, and as previously mentioned, we're starting to see interest (finally) from the deaf community at Gallaudet. High interest in video chat and the like.
<CanoeBerry> +!
<CanoeBerry> +1
<Quozl> I think it could be done with 5, but 6 would give a spare.
<CanoeBerry> I forgot to mention: DC will be hosting as *amazing* Book Sprint Mch 27/28
<CanoeBerry> Could not be more relevant..
<bemasc> I think we're done here.
<GrannieB> +1
<CanoeBerry> We will be upgrading from its Dec 2007 roots (by Walter Bender) to be beautiful for the XO-1.5
<kjcole> (And hosted an amazing one in September.  Yesterday our president saw the poster, and his chief of staff said "tell me more about this OLPC group in town.")
<CanoeBerry> In Spanish, Portuguese too.
<CanoeBerry> +2
<cjb> kjcole: whose president?
<Quozl> what's a president?
<GrannieB> ¡Bueno!
<CanoeBerry> Mike Lee is Emperor not president.
<kjcole> cjb: Sorry. New president of Gallaudet University was taking his first tour of our offices. Naturally, I had my XO 1.0 out, along w/ the September OLPC Book Sprint at Gallaudet poster. ;-)
<CanoeBerry> Can we conclude Project #5 now?
<cjb> kjcole: ah, I thought you meant Obama :-)
<CanoeBerry> kjcole: you rock
<kjcole> cjb: I wish.
<cjb> but that's cool too :)
<CanoeBerry> Votes please!
<CanoeBerry> +1
<bemasc> +1
<GrannieB> +1
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<CanoeBerry> Calling twice..
<CanoeBerry> Calling thrice..
<CanoeBerry> CONCLUSION: Approved

[ PROJECT #6 - The Graham and Parks Alternative Public School with - Cambridge, Massachusetts ]

<CanoeBerry> Onto our final project for the day -- please all critique/mentor Project #6 here:
<CanoeBerry> The Graham and Parks Alternative Public School with - 
<CanoeBerry> Cambridge, Massachusetts
<CanoeBerry> ]
<CanoeBerry>    Requests 10 XO-1's over undetermined months
<CanoeBerry>    Project Objectives:
<CanoeBerry>    Encourage learning through guided discovery and creative problem
<CanoeBerry>    solving. 1. Familiarize Haitian-American students at Graham and Parks
<CanoeBerry>    Alternative Public School with Sugar and the XO Laptop. 2. Teach a basic
<CanoeBerry>    curriculum in Etoys that empowers students to develop their own 
<CanoeBerry> interactive
<CanoeBerry>    books and games. 3. Cultivate an environment of continued project 
<CanoeBerry> exchange
<CanoeBerry>    between Haitian-American students in Cambridge with Haitian students in
<CanoeBerry>    Haiti.
<kjcole> (For the curious. The poster:)
<cjb> perhaps 10 XO's a lot for a new project?
<CanoeBerry> abland: can you please introduce this work?
<GrannieB> do they have a real proposal with timelines, personnel, and all that?  I would like to see it before voting
<kjcole> Waveplace has done so much good work...
<abland> Yes, we began a pilot to a combined 5th and 6th grade class at the beginning of February
<GrannieB> right. But this is Waveplace??? it doesn't say they are.  I would really like to see a real proposal
<abland> we need the computers used in the pilot for our upcoming endeavors in Haiti
<CanoeBerry> abland: got time to summarize the highlights of your accomplishments and new directions?
<abland> but we want the students at Graham and Parks to continue working on their projects
<CanoeBerry> GrannieB: is does say Waveplace many times here:
<dogi> dogi, links?
<dogi> ups
<dogi> abland, the links?
<abland> Hi GrannieB, my name is Allison and I work at Waveplace Foundation currently
<abland> this tells about some of our recent experiences at Graham and Parks
<CanoeBerry> I repasting in abland's prior introduction from an hour ago:
<CanoeBerry> <abland> I've been teaching Etoys in XO pilots in cambridge, ma preparing courseware for future pilots essentially
<CanoeBerry> <abland> particularly getting ready for our Haiti pilot at Matenwa
<CanoeBerry> <abland>
<CanoeBerry> <abland> Matenwa is the site of a 6 week pilot beginning March 22
<CanoeBerry> <abland> *
<Quozl> abland: the laptops you have been using ... did they come from the contributors program before?
<GrannieB> Ah ha! a proposal. Let me speed-read and see what is there
* dirakx  has joined #olpc-meeting
<CanoeBerry> Quozl: Waveplace had a residual supply of XO Laptops since 2008 etc.
<abland> please let me know if you have any specific questions about how we have been using them for this past month
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: was this supply from the contributors program?  I'm only asking because of governance concepts ... that if they are from the program then the program is now being asked essentially about "upcoming endeavors in Haiti", since this would be a redirection.
<abland> essentially, we want to ensure that the Haitian-American students we have been teaching are able to continue using XO laptops even as we take our supply to Haiti
<abland> we will be traveling to the Matenwa Community Learning Center on March 21
<kjcole> CanoeBerry: Perhaps a dumb question, but can one ask what the supply of XO's for projects is?  While 10 may seem like a lot for some groups, when you're talking about a group with a track record of distribution, it doesn't seem too big.
<CanoeBerry> Quozl: I don't know how Waveplace acquired their machines in 2008 -- presumably G1G1
<Quozl> Is good work ... but why aren't we instead considering a proposal to Haiti?  ;-)
<CanoeBerry> Quozl: this is implicitly preparation for Haiti.
<GrannieB> how many XOs are they currently using that these will replace?
<bemasc> CanoeBerry: This is confusing.
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: okay, that's fine then.  No strings attached.  This proposal we are looking at is therefore proven to be working already, and is a special case.  So, +1.
<abland> they are currently using 10
<bemasc> CanoeBerry: Waveplace needs XOs for Haiti.  OLPC has a program to provide XOs for Haiti.
<GrannieB> why not do that and leave the 10 where they are?
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: you're mixing together a lot of extraneous but important stuff I'm not sure we have time for :)
<bemasc> So sensibly, OLPC should provide them through the Haiti program.  Instead Waveplace is cannibalizing other trials and then trying to restock throug the Contributors program.
<abland> Waveplace is going to Haiti independently from OLPC
<abland> and we are going next month
* tonyf  Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC (Ping timeout))
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: not true
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: this is not cannibalizing in any way
<bemasc> It doesn't really matter.  XO-1's are fungible.
<bemasc> It's just a bizarre route.
<CanoeBerry> bemasc: i don't understand, but maybe later you can explain
<Quozl> bemasc: ah, good, you've noticed what i noticed.  it's bizarre, but i approve.
<cjb> I understood bemasc's statement, and don't understand the response.
<cjb> The reason for this request is that Waveplace is sending XOs to Haiti, so in effect we are sponsoring XOs going to Haiti by replacing them.
<cjb> so we should ask whether that's something it makes sense for the CP to do
<cjb> if that is what we're for, it's fine
<CanoeBerry> No: Graham & Parks / Waveplace / Cambridge, MA needs XO's -- can we get back on topic?
<cjb> uh
<cjb> why do they need XOs?
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: they have XOs don't they?
<abland> Graham and Parks has loaner laptops which are going to Haiti next month
<CanoeBerry> Not sufficient XO's I gather.  Can we address the actual proposal for once?
<cjb> CanoeBerry: would you like us to pretend abland isn't here, then?
<GrannieB> The proposal is good.  I'm not sure this is the most efficient way to deal with their needs, but it would work.
<CanoeBerry> abland is helping, i hope there's no need for her to leave!
<CanoeBerry> Sorry if there was confusion above.
<kjcole> Sounds like this is actually sort of a nice pipeline here: XO's to Haitian-American kids, some of which eventually migrate to Haiti (or Haiti gets some by other means), and thus a connection between the two sites G&P and Haiti. Yes?
<kjcole> Or am I missing something?
<CanoeBerry> Let's not all try to run OLPC's inventory please.
<abland> right - the kids at Graham and Parks love that aspect
<CanoeBerry> Let's stick with the actual Cambridge proposal as best we can.
<abland> of actually using an XO that will travel to Haiti
<dogi> +1 CanoeBerry
<cjb> CanoeBerry: if you demand that we stick with the actual Cambridge proposal, my response is "the actual Cambridge proposal already has laptops, so we have no need to give them more".
<abland> they like the fact that the XO will be "touched" by both groups of students
<cjb> I actually do think we should give them laptops, but this involves recognizing that the CP's doing something that OLPC is doing too.  That's not actually a big deal, in my mind.
<GrannieB> When are they sending the current XOs to Haiti?  Is time of the essence here, or could they revise and come back next week to resolve folks doubts
<cjb> GrannieB: they said next month
<abland> if the graham and parks kids don't get new laptops, they will not have them .. as they are going to haiti
<GrannieB> there is time to redo for next week.
<kjcole> abland: I think it would be good to give much praise / kudos / laurels to OLPC so that it doesn't appear Waveplace is stealing thunder, but given that, I don't see a problem with a "middle-org".
<GrannieB> The new ones could come to MA, kids could update the software before sending. Get them involved in the prep.
<CanoeBerry> GrannieB: i don't think that's logistically possible, but not my business.
<CanoeBerry> abland: we need to clear up the confusion quickly
<kjcole> abland: So when the laptops go south, are they loaded w/ extra content provided by G & P students?
<CanoeBerry> "Cambridge kids needs 10 laptops and why?"
<cjb> "because the laptops they're currently using are being sent to Haiti", right?
<GrannieB> If they are going to hand carry the current machines to Haiti, they could hand carry new ones too?
<abland> thanks for the suggestion Grannie B, we are undergoing many preparations already, and the Graham and Parks kids are certainly helping with curriculum preparation, including some aspects of Creole translation concerns
<abland> cjb: correct
<kjcole> value-added.
<GrannieB> Great to get the students imvolved so they feel a real sense of ownership of the project. Kudos!
<cjb> CanoeBerry: so, the question is "does the CP program exist to fund replacements for machines people send to Haiti?"
<cjb> I don't mind whether the answer's yes or no, but let's be clear about it.
<abland> kjcole: yes, the projects they are working on will be viewed by kids in Haiti
<CanoeBerry> cjb: not quite..the question is where can CP help foster XO/Sugar materials?
<GrannieB> New Tech High in Coppell TX did a project that sent XOs to Ghana.
<CanoeBerry> the answer is (in part) in Cambridge, MA's Graham & Parks school with Waveplace's help
<kjcole> value-added for students at G & P contributing, and value-added for students in Haiti receiving.
* teefal  has joined #olpc-meeting
<kjcole> (and with any luck, a bit of rivalry: One hopes that the students in Haiti will want to "compete" with the content providers at G & P.)
<teefal> hi folks ... tim falconer from waveplace ... i'm with allison (abland)
<Quozl> i approve the proposal.  i think the proposal is slightly defective in how it explains what is happening.  i think this is a duplication of other haiti related work, but given the special case of the children's involvement, go ahead.
<dogi> +1 Quozl
<CanoeBerry> teefal: we're trying to conclude but got bogged down a bit in inventory madness
<kjcole> abland: So, you called in the big guns? ;-)
<dogi> hi teefal
<GrannieB> I think we should consider this as an expansion of an existing project which the CP should legitimately be able to support
<abland> we have been sitting in a room together
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: it was not inventory madness, it was redirection and fungibility.
<CanoeBerry> Madness = poor communications, but we're hopefully all clearing it up now.
<GrannieB> sort of like the UCSB project
<Quozl> CanoeBerry: call the vote.
<GrannieB> +1
<treehouse> +1
<teefal> the real benefit here is that these kids have gotten the training that the kids in haiti will get
<kjcole> +1
<Quozl> +1
<dogi> +1
<teefal> and that they can help us improve the educational materials, in kreyol
<teefal> and correspond with the kids there as well
<teefal> in kreyol
<dogi> cu have to go ... :)
<dogi> ciao teefal
<CanoeBerry> Final votes/concerns/suggestions please?
<CanoeBerry> Calling once..
<CanoeBerry> Calling twice..
<CanoeBerry> Calling thrice..
<CanoeBerry> CONCLUSION: Approved
<kjcole> Sold!
<CanoeBerry> Apologies again for the above inventory circus -- we all hope Cambridge will produce great materials useful in Haiti (and hopefully beyond!)
<teefal> thank you everyone!
<abland> thanks :)
<teefal> you'll be seeing video of these kids soon
* teefal  Quit (Quit: The computer fell asleep)
* teefal  has joined #olpc-meeting
<kjcole> teefal: Video Chat?
* dogi  Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
<CanoeBerry> Thanks beyond words to all who put up with (and more important, made happen) this late meeting.
<GrannieB> bye
* GrannieB  Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC)
<kjcole> CanoeBerry: The lateness is probably why I made it. (I didn't realize mike had submitted a proposal yet, until it came up in discussion.)
Personal tools
  • Log in
  • Login with OpenID
About OLPC
About the laptop
About the tablet
OLPC wiki