How to use dial-up access with an XO.
Note: while it is possible, it is not part of the deployment plans, so do not treat this as a fault.
 Components to Add
As of build ship.2-650 the following software components need to be added to gain dial-up access:
- kernel drivers for USB modems,
In addition, the following software components would be helpful:
- A user interface for configuring,
- A user interface for starting and stopping.
 Option 1 - Augment
- Disable and remove Network Manager,
- Install the ppp package using yum,
- Manually configure PPP for on-demand dial-up per PPP documentation.
-It seems that this doesn't work on 656, at least not with wvdial. Connection ist established but ping doesnt work. Option 2 works.
 Option 2 - Debian GNU/Linux
- install Debian as an upgrade,
- apt-get install ppp pppconfig,
- run pppconfig.
 Option 3 - USB to RS232 cable and external modem
- May require drivers not currently included
- Would also provide a generic interface for devices requiring a 'dumb terminal' interface, such as some computer systems, test equipment, hobbyist robotic controllers, etc.
- Has anyone tested this?