| NOTE: The contents of this page are not set in stone, and are subject to change!|
This page is a draft in active flux ...
|This command is run from the GNOME menu or the Terminal Activity. Using the 'wine' interface to run Microsoft Windows applications. The GUI will probably not integrate comfortably with the Sugar environment, but should work okay with GNOME. Your user experience may vary considerably depending on the established environment and the other programs running on the laptop, and may need re-installation after an OS Update. See the Microsoft Windows software category for similar commands.|
Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) is a popular internet browser. This page discusses how to install an 'adapted-for-linux' version 6 SP1 and run via wine. Along with various other plugins. NOTE: This is NOT Open Source Software , and is usually packaged with commercial product Microsoft Windows. But IE is freely downloadable from downloads.Microsoft.com
- From the Terminal activity , download the latest ies4linux version, and extract it
$ wget -c http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-latest.tar.gz $ tar xzf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
- Run ies4linux and follow on-screen instructions (current version is: 188.8.131.52, update if needed)
- Above step sets up installation and creates script named ie6, to actually run IE 6.
- Set home page.
- Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Home Page -> Use Blank
- Some basic IE 6 customizations
- Download and import ie6_overrides.reg in your registry:
- $ regedit ie6_overrides.reg
- Works well with wine-0.9.5, wine-0.9.6, and wine-0.9.8-r1.
- Another option is using winecfg.
- In winecfg's Applications tab, set the Windows version to win98, and in its Libraries tab, set the dll override thus
- If you get a message saying "A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot":
- $ wineboot
IES4linux (components installed)
- Installs DCOM98 seperately
- First remove two dll's:
- $ rm ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ole32.dll
- $ rm ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/oleaut32.dll
- Then download and install DCOM98.EXE using:
- $ wget http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/1/3/d13cd456-f0cf-4fb2-a17f-20afc79f8a51/DCOM98.EXE
- $ wine DCOM98.EXE
- First remove two dll's:
- Installs mfc40.dll seperately
- This prevents an error in registering/installing ieinfo5.ocx.
- $ wget http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vc/mfc40.cab
- $ cabextract mfc40.cab
- $ wine mfc40.exe
- Installs riched20
- Removes regsvr32.exe
- $ rm -f ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe
- Soft links file
- $ ln -s /usr/lib/wine/shell32.dll.so ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/shell32.dll
- Download and installs IE 6 SP1.
- Sets up a script for 'ie6'.
- $ wine "c:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE"
Use environment variable for configuration (if not already set) $ export LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8
- appdb.winehq.org - Wine Application DB: Internet Explorer 6
- ies4linux - a simple Bash Script program that installs Internet Explorer on Linux using Wine