OLPC Boston/Monthly Meet-ups/031709
- Bob Herrmann
- Caliban (Matilda)
- Aunurag, David & Pat (BU/BC students)
- S J Klein
- Aziz Shirzay
- I didn't see Aziz there? Seth 16:23, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
- 4 other people whose names I didn't get
 Casual Discussions During Dinner
 Dell Netbooks
Deb brought her Dell netbook (purchased through her work in Worcester Public Schools). She explained that she has a hard time with the keyboard as Dell moved some keys for space saving. This makes it very hard for a trained touch typist to use the keyboard.
 "Tabbed" browsing using Browse
Deb showed us how the bookmarks work in Browse - creating a small thumbnail of the bookmarked page and placing this thumbnail on the bottom of the Browse window. This takes up real estate on the screen, but lets the user easily move between multiple sites. The instance of the Browse activity saved in the journal keeps these bookmarks, but the next time Browse is opened from the Home screen there are no bookmarks in this new instance on the Activity.
 Creating a Teacher's Group
Deb is interested in a once-a-month meeting of teachers so they can create lesson plans using the XO. Liane suggested that a joint project among Worcester areas colleges (Holy Cross, Worcester Polytechnic, and Worcester State Teacher's College) and the public schools might be a good mix.
 OLPC Corps
Eight students from 3 local universities (BU, BC, MIT) came to talk about OLPC Corps and their teams and the process of applying to OLPC Corps.
 OLPC Corps Goals
Fighting poverty, but OLPC is open to creative ideas from teams. OLPC has expressed a preference for rural deployments, and MIT group was concerned that their proposal might be rejected because they are thinking about working with an established NGO in urban South Africa.
 OLPC Corps Meetings
- A meeting specifically to focus on OLCP Corps is needed.
- BU - There is an existing BU OLPC User's group. BU students interested in OLPC Corps should use the OLPC_Boston mailing list to shout out and get connected with the group.
- Harvard - There are several Harvard groups. Similarly use the OLPC_Boston mailing list to connect to groups here. There is also a Harvard group doing international development work in Kenya in parallel with OLPC.
- MIT Sloan - Nicki Gomez has a languishing project.
- Olin? - Olin College is an engineering school in Needham MA. The OLPC project at the school has been very active for a couple of years. The Repair Center at Olin is a result. A series of seminars run by ex-OLPC staff is ongoing there.
 Training & Hardware
AuntiMame is willing to run a basic training class on a Saturday. Sugar basics and basic hardware repair.
 Visit to 1CC
As the meeting was wrapping up, Seth invited everyone across the street to 1CC to see the OLPC offices. A general tour of the office and XO experimentation ensued.
 Seth's notes
 OLPC Boston Meeting
From: Boston University
- Have two schools near Nirobi, Kenia with roughly 100 students
- Working with Foundation that is already working there
- "Fred Ada Foundation"
From: Boston College
- Pat (Seth met on twitter)
- Just found out about OLPCorps today
- Looking for team
- Very initial stages
- Looking for NGO
- South Africa
- SA looking most likely
- Fairly Urban area
From: OLPC Boston
- Deb (Educator from Worcester)