OLPC Learning Club D.C./NECC 2009 DC
National Educational Computing Conference - NECC 2009 DC - Event Details
Members of the OLPC Learning Club DC and others will staff a presence for Sugar Labs and OLPC at the Open Source Playground at NECC. The newest release of the Sugar Learning Platform will be demonstrated, and 15 OLPC XO laptops will be on display.
Sunday, June 28 - Wednesday July 1, 2009
Washington, D.C. Convention Center
Largest education technology conference in the U.S.
Sugar Labs / OLPC Organizer
Mike Lee - curiouslee [at] gmail [dot] com
@curiouslee on Twitter http://twitter.com/curiouslee
NECC09 hashtag on Twitter http://twitter.com/#search?q=necc09
My NECC09 photos on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=48600098314%40N01&q=necc09&m=tags
Cell: 4 4 3 - 8 5 8 - 9 7 9 3
Sugar Labs / OLPC Activities
- Staff a display of the Sugar Learning Platform and OLPC XO laptops at the Open Source Playground
- Speak at NECC Unplugged "Fringe Conference" on Monday
- Make connections with attendees on behalf of Sugar Labs and OLPC
Attendees and Availability for Exhibit Hall Coverage
The room for the Open Source Playground (where the XOs and Sugar will be displayed) will not be available for set-up until 4pm Sunday afternoon. Set-up will be 4-6:30pm...perhaps running later.
On site registration area located inside Hall D (Second Level) at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center 801 Mount Vernon Place NW Washington, DC 20001 202.249.3000 http://www.dcconvention.com/
Onsite Registration Hours:
Saturday, June 27: 7 am–6 pm
Sunday, June 28: 7 am–7 pm
Monday, June 29: 7 am–6 pm
Tuesday, June 30: 7 am–6 pm
Wednesday, July 1: 7:30 am–3 pm
Open Source Playground hours:
Monday, June 29, 8 am–4 pm
Tuesday, June 30, 9 am–4 pm
Wednesday, July 1, 8 am–2 pm
- Kevin Cole - Entire event
- Jeff Elkner - Sunday evening for set-up
- Anurag Goel - Entire event
- Luke Faraone - Most of the event
- MacKenzie Morgan - All day Monday 6/29 - Did not show. No response to emails.
- Mike Lee - Sunday evening, all day Monday, after 3pm Tue and Wed
- Mel Chua - Can setup all Sunday, help takedown Weds, still figuring out schedule in-between but should be good for at least part of this.
- Paul Flint - Available for setup on Sunday and coverage of the Open Source pavilion.
- [NEW] Todd Fine - Tuesday and Wednesday
Sugar Labs / OLPC Booth
- Open Source Playground -- Where Sugar and the XOs will be on display
6/28 9am update - I met Randy Orwin at the EduBloggerCon Afterparty last night and chatted for a few minutes. We are definitely at the Open Source Playground (as opposed to exhibit, pavillion or lounge). We still don't have a room number for the playground, though Randy says the playground is at the end of a hallway *in* the hallway. Gear such as the laptops will have to be moved out of a room every morning and stored back each day.
Update: The Open Source Playground is in it's own room, 152b, in the lower concourse near Hall D. The Sugar Labs table with 4 XOs and some netbooks is in the hallway. Securing the XOs to the display table with steel cable proved a useful approach as we are able to leave the XOs out there with literature.
Open Source Playground
Monday, June 29, 8 am–4 pm; Tuesday, June 30, 9 am–4 pm; and Wednesday, July 1, 8 am–2 pm
Explore stations that feature K12LTSP thin-clients and a wide range of free software including Linux, GIMP, OpenOffice, Mysql, Firefox, Moodle, and more.
Coordinator: Randy Orwin, CoSN/EdTechLive
- Related activity: Open Source Lab
Source files for printed materials at booth
- Sugar on a Stick v1 Strawberry LinuxTag 2009 Press Release http://wiki.laptop.org/images/2/20/Sugar_strawberry_release_linuxtag09.pdf 497k PDF
- OLPC Learning Club DC / Sugar Labs DC flyer
- Sugar Live CD label
- Big name badges
- Booth banner
- Moo cards
Business meetings during NECC
- Kathleen Harness of Etoys Illinois with Mike. - Stopped by to chat Tue 6/30
- Hailey Kuhn, VP of Business Development, Waterford Institute of Utah with Mike. - Stopped by to chat Mon 6/29
- iEARN. Date/Time TBD.
New contacts at conference
NECC Conference Schedule
- Conference Schedule at a glance
- Exhibit Hours
- Convention Center Parking Map (offers a downloadable map in PDF)
The NECC 2009 exhibit hall will be open June 29–July 1, 2009, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. Exhibit hours have been scheduled to provide maximum interaction between conference attendees and exhibitor personnel:
Monday, June 29 9:30 am–5:30 pm
Continental Breakfast in the Exhibit Hall 9:45–10:15 am
Tuesday, June 30 9:30 am–5 pm
Wednesday, July 1 9:30 am–2:30 pm
Should NECC 2009 Management find it necessary to alter exhibit hours in the best interest of the conference, Exhibitors will receive as much advance notice as possible.
Setup & Dismantle
Display space will be available for set-up in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center the following days and times:
Friday, June 26, 1–5 pm
Saturday, June 27, 7:30 am–6:30 pm
Sunday, June 28, 7:30 am–6:30 pm
Monday, June 29, 7:30–8:30 am (exhibits open at 9:30 am)
All exhibits shall remain in place until 2:30 pm on Wednesday, July 1. Return of crates and packing cases and dismantling of exhibits will commence on Wednesday, July 1, at 2:30 pm.
Sugar Labs booth photos on Flickr
- Mike will review Sugar Labs banner proof Wed 6/24 at noon at FedEx Office on 7th Street. Final 32 x 79" vinyl banner ready Fri 6/26.
6/24 - Proof of portion of banner reviewed. Looked good. FedEx proceeding to print for Friday pickup.
6/26 - Banner picked up. It looks great http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3663413551/
- Make up several Sugar on a Stick USB drives with latest "Strawberry" image available Wednesday 6/24
6/25 - Jeff says he will bring 6 SoaS Strawberry sticks on Sunday. We should be set.
- Burn several Boot Helper CDs
6/26 - Bagging this task for now.
- Burn some quantity of Sugar Live CDs for limited distribution
Kevin may be able to burn some LiveCDs.
Latest XO-LiveCD image I could find is from March 2009:
Wed 6/23 - Mike dropping 100 CDs to Kevin in evening.
Thu 6/24 - Kevin got 100 LiveCDs burned with the help of access to a duplication machine.
Need to run off 50 sheets of 2-up labels
6/24 - 100 Color inkjet CD labels done. --Mike
- Finish making Sugar Labs logo badges http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3664214762/
6/27 - Custom named badge artwork done. Looks like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3665359201/ Just need to print and assemble. Front and back now different to include OLPC Learning Club DC logotype and OLPC logo.
Badges done: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3666294626/
Adjusted badge artwork to show more accurate network neighborhood layout for next time http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3667626301/
- Mike to finish Sugar Labs flyer and print 200 copies.
6/27 - Template and spot art done. Here 's one side: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3664645035/
6/27 - Full flyer uploaded to FedEx Office to be printed at Silver Spring location. Pick up after 3AM Sun 6/28.
6/28 - 250 B&W flyers picked up. They are a tad light on toner, but usable. No time to chase after reprinting. Will run a handful of color flyers off to have on hand for any VIPs that show up.
- Posted photos of the Boot Helper CD and LiveCD for Caroline http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3669069988/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3669069516/
- Jonathan Blocksom may be parking at his office at Google DC and bringing his collapsible display over. Estimated arrival between 3 - 4pm.
Jon's display was not needed because Randy ordered some bulletin boards at the last minute. Jon went to visit his Aunt elsewhere in the Convention Center.
- Need steel cable and locks for laptops from hardware store.
6/27 - Paul and maybe Anurag will work on this tomorrow afternoon and evening. Sketch of setup here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3665773046/</br /> Paul and Anurag worked it out.
- Mike to finish assembling his presentation for NECC Unplugged talk on Monday. Test on Elluminate system.
Kim Caise open office hours for Elluminate Fri 6/26 4pm. Email Powerpoint to firstname.lastname@example.org
6/27 - Template and outline done.
Posted to http://www.slideshare.net/fotogeek/olpc-learning-club-necc-unplugged-talk-1652819
- Pick up 15 XO laptops from storage at HacDC on Sunday at 3pm. Serge Wroclawski will be there to meet us.
6/25 - Jeff said he will go get the laptops.
6/28 - Jeff delivered the laptops 7/1 - Anurag packed them up and dropped them off at the Arlington Career Center at around 5:30pm.
- 6/25 - The asset tags have finally arrived for the OLPC Learning Club XO Lending Library laptops (of which 15 are going to NECC). So the conference setup will be a good time to affix them and enter the barcode numbers into the Google Spreadsheet. They look like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3664422126/ - Mike
- 7/1 Mike has Jeff's six Kingston Datatraveler USB Drives. Need to return.
- Randy Orwin said we all might have Open Source Pavilion Volunteer t-shirts.
- Several large lanyard badges with the Sugar Labs logo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3664214762/
- 15 OLPC XO-1 Laptops to be moved from HacDC to Convention Center ( Here's what 19 of them looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3574257293/ )
- Caroline Meeks suggests a wifi access point to serve as a bridge between the XOs. Mike will bring a small AP.
- Collapsible booth backdrop on loan from Jonathan Blocksom. His booth is covered in all black fabric. He says he can drop it off Sunday at the Convention Center. ( What the booth structure looks like http://www.skyline.com/mirage-pop-up-promo )
6/25 - Jon confirmed by email that he can drop off the display between 3-4pm at the Convention Center. He has Mike's cell number.
- Two horizontal banners. One new for Sugar Labs. One OLPC Learning Club from last year. See TODO above. Sugar Labs banner is finished and looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/3663413551/
- Assume Randy Orwin will provide power strips and/or extension cords
6/26 - Randy says not sure what will be there.
(Mike has most of this.)
- Cable ties
- Four power bars, extension cables (labeled as Mike's)
- Utility knife
- Wire cutter
- Duct tape
- Scotch tape
- Ball point pens
- 3x5 cards
- Post-IT Notes
- Black Sharpies
- Mel Chua staying at Mike Lee's house in Wheaton, MD just Saturday night.
- NECC Conference Site
- NECC Connects Blog
- EdWeek Digital Education Blog
- Unofficial NECC Mobile Site
- EduBloggerCon - All day Saturday, 6/27, FREE
- EduBloggerCon Agenda
- EduBloggerCon Party - Saturday, 6/27, 6pm, FREE
- Tips for surviving your first NECC
- NECC Unplugged
- NECC Unplugged Virtual Presenter Notes
- Revolution Linux Asus Eee PC display
Our other related sites / pages
- OLPC Learning Club DC
- NECC 2009 Info Page Stub on Sugar Labs Wiki
- Sugar Labs DC
- OLPC News
- Ubuntu DC LoCo
- Sugar Labs - Sugar on a Stick - Strawberry
- Sugar Labs Strawberry Press Release, June 24, 2009
- OLPC Contributor's Program
- RSS feed of OLPCorps Africa Team Blogs
- Planet OLPC
- Planet Sugar