Olin university chapter/Repair center
| NOTE: The contents of this page are not set in stone, and are subject to change!|
This page is a draft in active flux ...
What is the point of having a repair center at Olin? What do we get out of it? What does OLPC get out of it?
- community service that reaches beyond the immediately local community
- contribute meaningfully to OLPC
- deal with everyday repairs that 1cc/OLPC is too busy for
- good technical experience for Olin students
What do we want to avoid?
- complicated logistics
- money, at least in the beginning
- repair RMAed machines
- original owners have already gotten a replacement, no donor associated with a machine
- get parts from 1cc/OLPC or partners
- could get a small amount of SERV funding towards this, but probably not enough to sustain long-term activity
- redistribute machines to grassroots groups and developers
- handle a fairly small number of machines at any given time
- keep a good work pace, but avoid the stress of deadlines
- have customers send broken XO and replacement part(s)
- fix machines and ship back to customers
- financial end may be tricky
- how do we deal with shipping costs?
- do we bill customers?
- repair RMAed machines and redistribute
- repair donor machines and send back
- logistically, the most complicated
- probably a lot of work to keep track of