This scale could be;
- put on the floor and weigh students
- hung from a tree to weigh crops, etc
- put on a desktop to weigh items
- used to measure friction, simple harmonic motion, impact in collisions, or centripetal force.
- used as a hand dynamometer (measure grip strength and to perform muscle fatigue studies)
The scales work on the principle of load cell technology in which load cells sense the weight of objects under certain conditions.
The majority of today's designs use strain gauges as the sensing element, whether foil or semiconductor.
- Concept: Joshua Seal, 17th July 2007