The Etoys visual programming approach enables children to easily program robots by building complex behaviors from simple bricks (value of a sensor, angle of a servo-motor, etc). The project has already been tested under real conditions (workshops during several Science festivals, activities at school, scientific summer camps) and is currently being ported to the OLPC platform. SqueakBot is part of a larger robotic platform for educational activities in robotics called “The BotsInBox”.
- Presentation of the project (in french): http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-6823622910602934458
- Squeak code (monticello repository): http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakBot.html
- Overview in English of the "BotsInBox" project
- French article in Linux magazine : http://www.info.unicaen.fr/~serge/share/SqueakBot/article.pdf
- Blog posts about SqueakBot (in french): http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/category/squeakbot/
- Related project with Lego: http://www.olpcnews.com/use_cases/technology/olpc_and_lego_match.html