PuppyLinux is a small Linux distribution intended to be fully featured. Started by Barry Kauler, it has stated goals of installing easily to most common storage media; fitting entirely into 128 MB of RAM when booted from CD; minimizing writes when booted from a USB device; having a user-friendly interface; booting and executing quickly; containing many common types of familiar software. These goals are intended to allow PuppyLinux to run well on older PCs, as well as on smaller modern PCs.
Youthful (Below 18) Developers Code for Puppy
- Hacao.Office in PuppyLinux 2.01 is making waves in Vietnam (July 30, 2006).
- Success with Tamil Localization (July 24, 2006) - link is not ok.
- Chinese Puppy2 is now ready - see here.
- Hacao linux, Vietnamese Puppy Linux version 2.01 released. The live-CD iso file is 79.5M. The big items in this release is Full Vietnamese localization (UTF-8). Here
- Greek-speaking users, see [Διανομή Linux για μικρά συστήματα http://simos.info/blog/archives/541] on an article on PuppyLinux.
- Some localisation requirements are placed in the Discussion of this page.
OLPC Application Development Environment
Application developers who do not have an OLPC may wish to try Puppy to build a system that is roughly similar to the OLPC, especially in its limitations. Here is a page describing how Puppy was adapted to a NTAVO thin client system.
Now all that remains is for someone to document how to install Sugar on PuppyLinux.
There is an active PuppyLinux forum about the OLPC here. Forum members have adapted Puppy to run on other low memory systems.
XOpup; Puppy Linux 5.1 for the XO-1 and the XO-1.5
XOpup is a Puppy Linux 5.1 derivative adapted for the XO-1 and the XO-1.5 laptops. It was developed in the context of the OLPC_on_Puppy_Linux contributors project.
Find XOpup builds, info, build instructions, kernel sources and XOpup-specific pets at http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/XOpup/
Discussions, questions, news, etc, at the these Puppy Linux or OLPCNews forum threads.
Check the OLPC_on_Puppy_Linux project page
The puppy_linux_XO building files are now in Github
They will modify any recent puppy linux ISO image and produce the files needed (including the kernels) to boot the XO-1 and XO-1.5 from a USB stick or an SDcard.