This page documents the startup sequence design, as detailed in trac ticket #1543.
Initialization of every boot
These graphics are drawn by open firmware. (needs work: trac #534)
Linux boot happens here with screen frozen by DCON.
Skipped when activation lease is already valid. (complete)
These simple graphics are drawn by Linux initrd directly onto the framebuffer.
(Activation failed graphics are either locks or question marks, depending on the cause of the failure; see discussion in closed trac bug #1328.)
Occurs on every boot. (These frames can be edited on an XO to try out alternate sequences. See Tweaking the boot animation for details.)
(smoother version is trac #3299)
First boot setup sequence
Assign names, colors, photo. Skipped once performed the first time. Drawn by X. Some transition is needed before step 4, since init/X/python startup takes a significant amount of time. Use the same graphics as the "loading animation" but with generic XO colors? (trac #3300)
(name selection: doesn't match design, trac #3296)
(color selection: needs work, trac #2336)
(photo selection: needs work, trac #3297)
See trac #692
- Open Firmware currently displays some diagnostic information about boot sources. These icons are missing from Step 2 (and subsequent steps?).
- Linux userland startup happens between activation and first boot setup; this needs some sort of animation. trac #3300
- Clock animation, if not done in X, will need to freeze between steps 11 and 12.
Related trac bugs
- 1543 - First boot user experience
- 534 - Initial OFW screen needs to match design
- 2336 - First boot color chooser
- 1328 - Need separate indication of stolen laptop during activation.
- 692 - Shutdown design
- 3295 - Pretty boot by default
- 3296 - Name entry does not match first boot spec
- 3297 - We don't take a photo at first boot
- 3299 - Dynamic "loading" animation for boot
- 3300 - Need transitions around first boot name/color/photo chooser.