Sunday, Feb 10 2008, 4-6PM EST
Community Support Volunteers confirmed: (please add your name if we missed you!)
- John Webster (Arizona)
- Alan Claver (Pennsylvania)
- Seth Woodworth (New York / Oregon)
- Aaron Konstam (Texas)
- Kate Davis (Middletown, CT)
- Mel Chua (New Jersey, NYC) (only on irc)
- ixo (Bellingham, WA)
- Ian Daniher (Ohio)
- Sebastian Silva (Lima, Peru)
- FFM (Virginia)
- Sandy Culver (Massachusetts)
- Greg Babbing (New Hampshire)
- Sebastian (Peru)
- Others ?
- Adam Holt (1CC, Support Gangster in Chief)
- Henry Hardy (1CC)
- Kim Quirk (1CC)
- SJ Klein (1CC)
- Greg Babbin (1CC)
- Arjun Sarwal (1CC)
- Andriani Ferti (1CC)
- Katherine Elliott (Massachusetts)
TOPIC: Guest Speaker Henry Hardy, new employee from Ohio/Michigan
- "The History of the Net", his 1993 Masters thesis: http://w2.eff.org/Net_culture/net.history.txt
(which is mentioned in http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2235.html !)
- What he (OLPC's new SysAdmin) intends to bring to OLPC
- Why OLPC genuinely need a Historian. How _you_ might help.
- Aaron Konstam mentions SAGE.
TOPIC: Billing/Shipping True Love.
- Kim and Adam summarized where we're at, and how we're approaching the March finishing line.
TOPIC: Paper Letters.
- Why our team need only answer those paper letters that include email addresses.
TOPIC: OLPC Re-org
- Reorg into 4 working groups - 1 leader for each group, still in flux, leaders being sought.
- (rest of notes lost)
TOPIC: pushing out update.1 (build 656)....
- Urgent need, fix for battery issues...
- likely resolve alot of reported battery issues out there.
- Best before 30 day warranty expires.
- Warning: will uninstall non-Sugar Activity, addins, etc..... "
- What's the best method for letting users know ?
- ffm/Phil have an install flash script which may help.
- Kate mentions, a new release of olpc-update, may resolve 'non-standard' addons, and search path.
- [Action item] ffm will update wiki flash page, to install flash 'best method'.
- Kim confirmed, auto updates , will create alt image.... for revert.... Boot-O image available
- If you want to participate, with auto-update,
- update streams info... http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Update_streams
TOPIC: Peru implementation
- Sebastian talking about Peru, Walter Bender will be down there next week...
- support-gang is a good resource for issue triage / supplementary support...
- Kim suggestion: gather together grassroots people from surrounding area,
- During the visit, and bring people together... to help create local support structure.
- OLPC can't provide resources for coordinating Peru grassroots or people.
- Encourage people in the area to come together and create something.
- Possible forum could be setup by volunteers in US, for Peru...
- Idea: setup a separate email address alongside of 'help@' (ayuda@laptop ?), for keeping Spanish / South American FAQ/RFTM straight and not-confusing.
- Thoughts about wiki and language integration
- Is separate Wiki needed for Peru (or language?) -- most people agree - NO. (only if demand requires it)
- Continue with current translation efforts.
- Suggestion: Sebastian (Peru) and Xavi (Argentina) coordinate together some espanol resources for both countries.
- wiki/language discussion taken off line for later discussion between ffm, Kim, etc..
TOPIC: RT Feeping Creaturism
- Need review of automated reply template that SJ edited and Adam reverted
- Adding more info on first page, like tracking #, etc . . .
- Try avoiding promising too much to customers, already promised too much
- More than one category on ticket.."
- Work on quality, avoid speeding through as many as you can...
- Keep an eye on RMA tickets, make sure less than 30 days.
TOPIC: Speak Their Minds - What was YOUR toughest challenge this week?
- Mchua: Speaking my mind: Toughest challenge == lack of transcript in this call, hard for me to get information otherwise ;)
- Holt: Last week's 1-time experiment with live transcript failed dramatically. Despite extensive precautions on my part and others'.
- SJ: toughest challenge: finding out what /everyone else/ was up to
- SJ: suggestion.. encourage others to do Week in Review..... nice record... of what's happening in small bits..
- looks great and self acknowledgement of what you've been working on.
- Still clarifing exact format or location, but under your own User namespace page is good start.
- Encourage others for clear communication on what's going on and where.
- ixo: would be nice to see some stats/numbers on volunteers active, and how many hours donated to OLPC
- Idea: Each volunteer login centrally, track hours in week/month donated, descriptions generic, details optional
- Good method to also be able to ack volunteer work and stats.
TOPIC: Donor receipts for Laptops.
- Can call Donor services for official receipt.
TOPIC: Weekly Zine launch: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Weekly_zine
- ixo: Current update, is that first issue is almost ready to go. Last articles, put in today.
- 'public soft release' monday morning in english, with translations soon behind it within 24/36 hours.
- Seth / isforinsects, and others have pulled together a great collection of items, and fleshing out quite nicely.
- ffm: olpczine.org is not quite ready to go, still waiting on a few configuration settings.
- MChua: Some futher ideas on structure for future issues.
TOPIC: Documentation update
- mchua: Template:Grassroots group and Template:Project have been made, pls use
- Chris Carrick from Olin has a team that's looking at OLPC wiki usability for their class...
- ..crazy-chris and I and possibly others are doing a hackathon session on organizing pilots-related wiki stuff this thursday,
- ..possibly trying to start a "how to run a pilot" handbook and finding existing pilots to help fill it in
TOPIC: Funds Development.
- Stay posted. Thanks for all your great ideas this week!
TOPIC: Vesna/Holt/SJ on "Social Cartography" (skimmed quickly over)
- how 60+ of us here can each get to know each other Much Better?
- How can we improve https://laptop.org/teamwiki/index.php/Team:Supporters#mainly_support ?
- Has everyone created a teamwiki account? Start here if not: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Requests
Minutes THANKS to
- ixo (last minute secretary, typing one handed while holding the phone w/oher)
- ffm (briefly filled in, while ixo took a break)
Briefly edited for clearity by Holt.