Talk:Wifi Troubleshooting Guide
Hidden SSID Difficulties With Procedure 2008-02-06
Just got my olpc this morning. Trying to connect to my wifi network. I have a hidden name and MAC filtering. I was able to find the olpc MAC address and enter it into the router. BUT in trying to use the instructions for inputing the wifi hidden name into the olpc I get an error. su -l after hitting return here a prompt comes up:-bash-3.2# I assume that is correct
/sbin/iwconfig eth0 mode managed essid <myhiddennetwork>
After hitting return an error says: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'
I also tried entering all 4 lines without any returns and I get the error: networkname no such file or directory.
Specific Router Difficulties Solved By Reconfiguration 2008-05-25
- When we took the OLPC computer to our Granddaughter the neighborhood view would not display the home WiFi router (D-Link DIR-655). We could log onto unsecured routers in the housing area, but not the D-link. The Wpa.sh script (WPA_Manual_Setting#Option_4:_Manual_Script) did not solve the problem. After trying many items we decided to try re-configuring the D-Link DIR-655. The D-Link was set for 802.11n and not channel 1, 6 or 11. Once we set the DIR-655 for both 802.11g & 802.11n plus set the channel for 11 it worked perfectly. If you can't see your WiFi router, try the following steps: 1) Configure the router to support 802.11g, 2) Configure the router to use Channel 11 (or 1, 6), 3) Use the Wpa.sh script to automate the pass-phrase login. -- Anonymous, 2008-05-25.
Hidden SSID Unspecified Difficulties 2008-10-25
- Butting in... I’m having difficulty applying the old terminal hack for hidden SSIDs to the new build. Is there a new method to deal with SSIDs? Am I just doing it wrong? -- Anonymous, 2008-10-25.
- I'm having the same problem. -- Anonymous, 2010-01-29
Dark Indicator, No Scan Results 2009-09-09
- The network indicator is dark even though in the terminal I get an on reading for the radio. No network access points or other users appear in the Sugar interface. -- Anonymous, 2009-09-09
Only Sometimes Works 2011-01-08
- I see my router (a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7270), but succeed in logging in on only about 1 in 5 to 10 attempts. When I succeed things work fine: i have upgraded the OS, surfed the web, etc. -- Anonymous, 2011-01-08
Editing a Connection in Gnome, Firmware q3c16, Release 13.2.0
I need to change the password for a connection and the Save button is inactive. EditWiFiConnection2014-07-09.png screenshot here. The connection should be deleted and recreated? There's a more direct way to update a password? Thanks, ... Peasthope 15:13, 9 July 2014 (UTC)
- This has nothing to do with us, as those software components come directly from Fedora, and we haven't changed them before shipping with OLPC OS. When I try the same thing, the Save button is active. Therefore I cannot speculate on what you should do. Why not try something? --Quozl 22:37, 9 July 2014 (UTC)
- My earlier suggestions in Talk:Wifi_Connectivity#.22Troubleshooting.22_and_.22XO_Setup.22 also apply. --Quozl 22:46, 9 July 2014 (UTC)