User:DanielDrake/Run upstream kernel on XO-4
How to run Linux 3.8 on XO-4.
 XO preparation
- Downloading http://download.laptop.org/xo-4/os/candidate/13.1.0-30/31030o4.zd to a USB disk
- Connect the USB disk to the XO-4
- Boot the XO-4, hit escape to get to ok prompt
- Run: fs-update u:\31030o4.zd
- Once flashed, power cycle the XO (with AC adapter connected), let it upgrade the firmware and boot into Linux.
- From a root terminal, run: olpc-dev-kernel
- Turn the XO off
 Kernel compilation
- Create a subdirectory of the root directory on your USB disk called "boot", and place olpc.fth inside it.
- Copy arch/arm/boot/zImage from your kernel compile to the boot directory of the USB disk, to sit alongside olpc.fth.
- Connect the USB disk to the XO and turn it on.
Note: there will be no output on the screen - you need to use a serial console to access the system. Once the output stops (i.e. boot has finished), wait a couple of seconds then hit enter to get a bash prompt.