PROJECT: Settings DESC: GUI interface to sugar-control-panel, ( and many other command-line options) (v2, so can be programmable via scripts / cron.)
(and alt boot)
(also do a -help to complete list of new un-supported options)
Suspend mode on/off
To prevent suspend from happening.
$ touch /etc/ohm/inhibit-suspend $ touch /etc/ohm/inhibit-idle-suspend
To re-enable suspend.
$ rm /etc/ohm/inhibit-suspend $ rm /etc/ohm/inhibit-idle-suspend
Radio On / Off
From Ricardo Carrano <email@example.com> cc devel <firstname.lastname@example.org>, date Jan 17, 2008 11:06 AM subject Re: Testing the Wireless driver changes
Indeed we had this airplane mode discussion two weeks ago: Why don't we?
To completely silence the radio:
#!/bin/bash rmmod usb8xxx mv /lib/firmaware/usb8883.bin /lib/firmaware/usb8883.bin.quiet
It will survive reboots.
To bring it back:
#!/bin/bash mv /lib/firmaware/usb8883.bin.quiet /lib/firmaware/usb8883.bin rmmod usb8xxx; sleep1; modprobe usb8xxx
No reboot necessary.
The backlight levels can be modified by writing to /sys/class/backlight/dcon-bl/brightness. The backlight seems to have 15 levels of color-mode brightness (1-15) and one level indicating black and white mode (0).
Here're examples of how to modify the backlight levels from the Terminal:
sudo bash -c "echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/dcon-bl/brightness" sudo bash -c "echo 15 > /sys/class/backlight/dcon-bl/brightness"
The XO contacts OLPC on average once a day in order to see if there is a new build which it should be running. Each XO can be subscribed to one of a number of "update streams":
- none - never update me.
- stable - latest stable build
- testing - release candidates or stable upgrade testing
- joyride - not yet implemented, but will someday give you the latest joyride build automatically.
See https://activation.laptop.org/streams/ for the full list.
The stream an XO is subscribed to is determined as follows:
- If there is a file named /security/update-stream containing a stream name, use it.
- Otherwise, if there is a file named /etc/olpc-update/update-stream with a stream name, use this. (This is used in joyride builds to ensure the joyride machines are by default subscribed to joyride, not stable.)
- Otherwise, if the laptop belongs to an 'update group' in OLPC's database, and the update group names a default stream, use it. (This allows us to remotely upgrade XOs in school deployments.)
- Otherwise, use the default update stream specified by the server, which is currently 'stable'.
Automatic update prevention
echo none > /security/update-stream
then press the Enter key.
x display screen saver
The X display blanking (or screensaver)
From the Terminal, try:
xset -s noblank xset -dpms
The first of these shuts-off the screen saver, the second disables DPMS (Energy Star) features.
Keyboard layout: switching from Amharic <> US
- switch to a virtual console (alt+ctrl+F1 or alt+ctrl+F2) F1 is the
mesh view key and F2 the friends view key
- edit /home/olpc/.i18n - nano /home/olpc/.i18n - LANG="en_US.UTF-8" - ctrl+o for save and ctrl+x for quitting
Manual IP Address
(i.e Static IP address ) (from: New_Users#Static_IP_address )
My WiFi network uses static IP addresses (i.e. I don't run dhcp). How can I manually set up networking?
Answering my own question...(with help from OLPC IRC):
1. Open Terminal Activity, become root (su) and cd to /etc 2. In rc.local add the following:
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop /sbin/ifconfig eth0 yr.ip.address.here up /sbin/iwconfig eth0 key yr.wep.key.here #I use WEP, don't know about WPA /sbin/iwconfig eth0 key restricted #I use a shared key /sbin/iwconfig eth0 mode Managed /sbin/iwconfig eth0 essid yr.ssid.here #I found I had to set the essid after setting the mode /sbin/route add default gw yr.default.gw.here
3. In resolv.conf add the IP addresses of your nameservers 4. Reboot
Hidden SSID networks
- See Bert's wpa.sh script
- Manual iwconfig
XO icon shape update
Standard XO icon, can be replaced by other shapes...
su -l cp /usr/share/icons/sugar/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg /usr/share/icons/sugar/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg.bak cp /media/XXX/new-computer-xo.svg /usr/share/icons/sugar/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg
- Turn off/on popup frame