Seven challenges for the Open Source community:
- Alignment of goals: Open≠free.
- Normal culture: Broaden the base of participation.
- Access: economic, political, and cultural barriers are formidable.
- Keep it simple: Open Source is just as fat as proprietary offerings.
- Better models of human affect and cognition leads to more expressivity.
- Transform phone culture, which is service oriented rather than tool oriented.
- Learning-centric design is better than trumps human-centric design.
Walter's seven news services for community:
- Identifying, including contrasting and relating
- Analyzing, including positioning and verifying
- Localizing, including augmenting and remembering
- Contextualizing, including connecting and relating
- Expressing, including storytelling and transcoding
- Learning, including interacting and constructing
- Advertising, including observing and transacting