Wikijunior produces non-fiction books for children ages 0-12, with an emphasis on macropedias, textbooks and primers.
From the Wikijunior site:
- Wikijunior is a source of books for children written by an international community of volunteers. It is built on certain core values. Wikijunior is:
- kid friendly. Our books are written with children in mind. The subjects of our books are chosen because they are appealing to kids. These books are richly illustrated with photographs, diagrams, sketches, and original drawings.
- collaborative. Wikijunior books do not have just one author, instead they are the product of many interested people working together.
- fun. We write books that are easy to understand and age-appropriate. The writing style is light and friendly.
- reliable. Books present factual information that is verifiable and avoid opinion, original research, and fiction.
- open. The world is invited to join in and write, edit and rewrite each article and book to improve its content. Our books are distributed free of charge under the terms of the Gnu Free Documentation License.
Wikijunior is currently available in the following languages: German, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, Chinese.
An updated list of languages can be found here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikijunior#Other_Languages
There are currently three book series in development. Within these series there are eleven approved booklets and hundreds of articles.
Wikijunior books are created collaboratively online. The books are collections of web pages. When they are completed, they are also available as PDFs and in book format through lulu.com.
- Scripting (any scripting needed to convert it from current packaging)
Group coordinator: None
Scope: Subjects are: Mathematics, Science, Technology, Biology/Earth Sciences, Culture, History, Life, and Society. Age range is 0-12.
Completeness: The project is in development. Not many books are actually completed.
Multilingualism: Limited content in other languages. List here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikijunior#Other_Languages
Quality: Varied, but well-intentioned.
Freeness: Content is available under GNU Free Documentation License.
Comments, Tags, and Ratings