XO Korea/jeju team
My name is Do Young-Min 도 영민, a farmer and fisher living in the Jejudo Island in Korea (South). I and a few citizens living in near my house are participating in activities to deploy XO in Korea. Most of us are farmers, fishers, constructing workers, or housewives.
All our projects are long-term based, at least 10 years' timeline, and directrly or indirectly related to OLPC projects. See below about our activities in Korea.
The photo right hand is me and my little friends neighborhood.
We have two fixed offices, one modern building and the other being small Korean traditional house.
In fact, as our works are all web-based, and as Web is everywhere in Korea, we need no office at all. So, those houses are for our meetings and plays rather than office works.
Regardless of its coverign region, any local team of XO Korea will not have any off-line office, if possible.
I am translating various XO documents into Korean; SUGAR UI, tutorials, wiki, and others. One of the most important task of XO Jeju is to make Korean version of XO Activities.
Currently, most of the Korean pages in this wiki are translated by XO Korea Jeju Team.
I am much interested in electronic government or web-based governmental services. If current governmental services are efficiently reorganized on XO and its variations, I think about 70% of governmental labor cost shall be reduced, and the performance will be increased far much.
Anyway, I (and my fellows) have already reclassified the about 65,000 repetitive governmental functions (services) into 3,000+ core functions and are setting a framework to code (programming) those core functions via Squeak, Smalltalk, and Python.
See Governmental Content.
UNSPSC (UN Standard Product & Service Classification) is the classification of industrial activities into about 15,000 categories and about 100,000 services.
I (and my fellows) have been writing the workflow statement of each category and service for children and adults to program those on XO.
See our samples such as Open Bank and Open Exchange etc. below.
See Business Content.
XO and its variations provide a revolutionary networking or communicating capacity, mesh network.
Why not use those features to establish national-wide or even world-wide communication network, both voice and data.
With some helps from Korean researhers, I have been designing national wide mesh network, consist of XOs, School Servers (and other types of servers), XO Repeaters, Local Servers, and Country Servers.
I hope those XO network can complement (or even substitute) curren wire/wirelss communication infrastructure of Korea.
See [Korean_Mesh_Network|National Mesh Network]].
There are some project samples to show what I and my fellows are pursuing.
This page is just to show what XO Korea is aiming for, what we want to make, what society we dream, and what we are doing right now etc.
Like linux kernels or codes, our civilizations also are too fat; they need some DIET! The civilization of mass production and mass consumption, under the flood of the -erism (faster, bigger, richer....all -ers we pursuing), we need to think back; our history, what we really want etc..
Our goal is quite clear; remove some fat from our social infrastructures.
- After analysing the current governmental services provided by the Korean governemnt, we concluded that only a third of governmental functions (services) are necessary; the other two third of them are just to keep running the one third.
- After analysing the current business services or social infrastuctures such as banking system and communication infra in Korea, we concluded that only a third of those business functions (services) are quite necessary; the remnant two third of them are just to keep running the one third also.
So, our all goals are to eliminate those fats from our society; value chains. Then;
- People in developing nations can quickly absorb the well developed social infrastructures (political systems, administrative systems, and business systems) of developed nations.
- There will be flatter distribution or allocation of wealth among social constituents and among nations; those developed and developing,
- There will be more social wealth due to more value producers than now, so we can reduce (even not eliminate) suffers from provety in developing nations;
- There will be sustainable well-being among human beings; not well-being of one nation that is, at the same time, disastrous to others.
I am producing two virtual but real governments operating solely on the Web and on XO.
I have reclassified all governmental functions of the Korean central (national or federal) government into about 3,000+ independent Bisiness Modules (or Objects). During classifying and developing those services, I have always focused on the adoptability that a developing nation can easily adopt those of Korea for their own governmental system.
Among 18 ministris, this is the sample ministry of Korea;
See full national governmental authorities in Korea; Central Government
The local government of Jejudo in Korea provides administrative services for about 500,000 citizens living in 1845km².
I have fully analyzed the services provided by the Jeju local government, and hope any local community in the world use/modify those modules or objects for their own use.
See full local governmental authorities in Korea; Local Government
I have selected some businesses providing representative social infrastructures.
It's open-source based bank, insurance, and investment firms operating on XO.
See full businesses in Korea; Businesses
It's an open-source based telecommunication firm proving voice and data service; incluing web gateway services.
See full businesses in Korea; Businesses
It's schools without teachers, buildings, and fixed curricula; only with courses and certifications (accreditations).
Sample is a kindergarten;course materials without any exam.
See full kindergarten in Korea; Kindergartens
Open Primary School
Sample is a primary school;course materials and competency exam.
See full primary courses in Korea; Primary Courses
Open Secondary School
Sample is a secondary school;course materials and SAT exam.
See full secondary courses in Korea; Secondary Courses
Sample is a undergraduate course for economics and social scienses;course materials and certification exam.
See full undergraduate courses; Undergraduate Courses
Open Graduate School
Sample is a graduate course for financial engineering;course materials and certification exam.
See full graduate courses; Graduate Courses
Open Professional Education
Sample is a CPA course; course materials and certification exam.
See full professional courses in Korea; Professional Education
Community Healthcare Center
Culture & Leisure Activities
Two issues faced by most developing nations.
One is that, currently, most nations are composed of regional or ethnical similar groups. The second is that, capitalism is driven by profit only motives.
I think those two isstues are source of some most disastrous conflicts and struggles.
How to establish Canada-like communities on most developing nations in 5~10 years? I believe XO and ethics on XO is the answer, high technology and sound ethical standards.
eThics project is to establish world-standard constitution, civil or criminal laws shared by nations regardless of their religions, ethical origins, and residing regions.
See our Code of Ethics.
The moto of XO City is quite clear and simple;
- estalish a mechanism guaranteeing sustainable growth, so called eco-city,
- fully automated soical infra structures such as automated governmental services, banking services, and broadcastings etc. so called ubiquotous environment,
- eliminate redundant codes in cities, that is XO-style city.
Open Enterprise Architecture
OEA is a framework of programming social procedures of value production; fully automated e-Government, e-Business, e-Education etc.
OEA is based on FEA (Federal Enterprise Architecture) of the USA, but open, extended and simple;
- Open: anyone can participate in writing the architecture.
- Extended: OEA encompasses not just governmental services, but private services such as businesses also.
- Simple: OEA is set on only a few programming languages and frameworks, especially Squeak eToy and Python.
OAP: Open Accreditation Project
Day by day, the world is smaller and smaller.
The purpose of OAP is to set world standard accreditation, certification, or license framework; such as for doctors, lawyers, bachelor/master degrees, public accountant etc.
OAP is open, standard, and web-based;
- Open: anyone can participate in writing examination papers presented via web to XO screen; for example, a problem set of CPA exam you request via XO is composed of questions randomly sorted from CPA Problem Bank written by worldwide citizens.
- Standard: I am setting a standard requirement for each certification/license/accreditation usable by any nation of the world,
- Web-based: our all accreditation processes shall be done solely via the web and XO.
XO Community Project
I hope to use XO as a string linking different social sectors; families, schools, governmental authorities, businesses, and other communities.
That is XO Community or XO-based Community. It will be quite different from current communities linked by people with similar ethinical, regional, educational, and other backgrounds.
The XO mark will be used to show whether an entity (school, business, or governmental organization) is member of the XO community of any nation.