XS Blueprints:Lease and update server
Lease and activation services are a key role of the XS. They are key enablers at the school and in the warehouse where the XOs are prepared for deployment.
Note: This blueprint has been implemented. See XS-activation for notes on how to use it.
- Tama is a field technician, he's visiting a rural school without internet. He has a new OS build to install on the existing laptops and 20 new laptops to hand out with serial numbers that the existing XS doesn't have leases for.
- Lee is a field technician. He is deploying an XS to a school that did not have one earlier - so the XOs had very long leases, which now need to be shortened.
- Teacher Catalina travelled to town and got leases and an OS image on a USB stick. The XS at her school is slow -- she wonders whether anything is happening with the USB stick.
- Jocinta is a NOC sysadmin and wants to get all the XSs out there with the new leases for a XO shipment that is being handed out, new blacklist (a few machines have been misplaced) and updated XO OS images. She has to prepare an update for the internet-connected XSs, and a usb img for the non-connected ones.
- Ludmilla and Jim are technicians at the warehouse in Wellingtonia-- they have 5K XOs to activate and update. They want to use a temporary machine - perhaps one of the XOs even - as lease and update server.
- In Zoolandia it is the first day of school after summer holidays -- kids are returning to school and those who haven't visited school in the holidays have their XOs locked. The wireless signal in the Zoolandia schools is unencrypted.
- First day at school in Oz is a bit more complicated -- wireless network signal is WPA encrypted or perhaps the wireless antenna is broken, flaky, saturated. Teacher wants to prepare an "unlocker" usb stick to pass around.
- See also the requirements definition Feature_roadmap#Activation_lease_security
 Implementation Notes
 XO side
- OFW: delegation support is a nice-to-have (but unlikely to happen soon).
Leases/OATC checks against XS in 2 places: initrd and olpc-update-query.
- Trivial proto port 191
- 'STOLEN' response is taken "unwrapped", but is transient
- Fix: hardcoded XS url in init, differs from activate.py -> service announcement (if we have dns at this stage!)
- Fix: hardcoded XS url -> svc announcement
- Review/dev: frequency is weird, can we simplify it?
- Dev: checks only for update
- add 'lease' support (dsd patches)
- add 'stolen' support (&& touch /security/.private/stolen)
- Test/review: Bitfrost delegated keys support seems to be complete - test!
- Review/dev: do we need an "I don't know you" response from the server?
- Fix/dev: Large JSON files problem in initrd. We need a stream parser for this :-)
 XS side
Main areas of work
- DNS-SD'ish svc announcement
- Service on port 191
- OATC server - taking code from oats-lite
- Moodle UIs
- Data updates from NOC, report to NOC
 DNS-SD svc announcement
- Publish via BIND or similar
 OATC server
- Base on oats-lite
- Dev - Port to mod_python
- Dev - Add 'stolen'
- Dev - read from imported "canonical" data + local data (from Moodle)
- Dev - sign/create new leases dynamically if we have delegation certs
- Dev - "I don't know you" responses?
- Dev - Moodle-readable logs
- Dev - must handle: first degree leases/OATC and delegated leases/OATC
 Port 191
- Dev: integrate with OATC server
- Dev - add-to-blacklist UI.
- From user-profile page, and from "request log" pages
- "remove from blacklist"?
- Log views showing
- All leases we have
- Leases requested & served, sorted by request timestamp
- Highlight "requested buy don't have" and "requested but in blacklist"
- Recover tool for teachers:
- "Download lease for this user" from profile page - to laptops having trouble unlocking
- "Download (short) leases for all the school" for mass-unlocking
 Data updates from NOC, report to NOC
- Read new leases/delegations/stolen data from USB stick or dropbox
- Write log of lease requests to USB stick or dropbox
- add support for dropbox directories
- idmgr: port to mod_python as well?
 NOC team tools
This is composed of bios-crypto and related tools, and provides tools for the NOC workflow
- Tool to create a list of new XS keys against a list
- Tool to create delegation certs for each XS - inputs: CSV file listing XO/XS mapping, XS pubkeys
 Test plans and user walkthrough
 TODOs and future work