Description & Goals
The Report activity is designed for students to learn and actively participate in journalism.
The activity provides:
- A tutorial for outlining a news article
- A free writing mode
- The ability to include a photograph (later video)
- The ability to publish to an online blog (xotimes.org)
It is our goal that the software will be included as a core activity.
The larger goal is to provide children a voice in world events.
|Activity Mockup (400KB) history||Zip file containing Adobe Fireworks mockups|
- This works for build 595 - The wordpress module is =in the ./wordpress directory and needs to be setup through ./wordpress/setup.py install - The install script works as per expectation: ./setup.py dev - The blog feature works to some extent, but it currently only grabs the text [The AbiWord module needs to be modified to somehow spit out data in a better format] - No implementation work has been done on the plan tab. - The username and password to the blog have been hardcoded to post to http://olpcjam.wordpress.com - There may be a beginner and advanced mode on the plan tab (TBD) - The launch date for v1.0 is November 30, 2007
Journalists are currently working on the tutorial content of the activity.
The content will be completed October 10, 2007.
|Current Tutorial (8KB) history||RTF Tutorial on writing a news article|
We intend to create a blog/news web site where the news articles will be published (a la CNN or Digg).
The site is up at http://www.xotimes.org, however it is currently hardcoded to a single blog.
Hopefully some of the more popular articles will get picked up by the mainstream press.
Some features we would like to have:
- Private Group Blogs
- Digging (voting) best articles
We have applied for a grant with the Knight Foundation. You can read our grant proposal below.
|Grant Proposal (8KB)||Grant Proposal|
More information can be found at http://www.newschallenge.org.
- Dan Sutera, NYU
- dansutera at yahoo.com
- General / Grant / UI (Contact Person)
- Rajesh Ramakrishnan, Columbia
- rr2318 at columbia.edu
- Dan Lee, Columbia
- dtl2103 at columbia.edu
- Emmanuelle Collet, Journalist
- emmanuelle.collet at gmail.com
- Tutorial / Grant
- Andrew Ott
- andrewott1 at gmail.com
- Grant / PR
- Bob Stepno, aka Robby in xoLand, Radford University
- hoping to be helpful
- teaching writing & reporting?
- rstepno at radfordDOTedu
- Owen Williams
- owen at ywwg.com
- Reader integration
- Lisa Williams
- lisa at cadence90.com
- SJ Klein, OLPC
- Lauren Klein, OLPC
- Brendan Ballou, Columbia
- Nick Racuente, Swarthmore
- James Levy, Northwestern
- IRC Chat
- irc.freenode.net at #fcolpc
- Functioning Report v1.0
- Functioning Website v1.0
More background on this project can be found at:
|Genre:||Activity genre::Documents (Read, Write, and Share)|
|Activity group:||,|x|Activity group::x}}|
|Short description:||Short description::The Report activity is designed for students to learn and actively participate in journalism.|
|Repository URL:||Source code::http://hcs.harvard.edu/~sjklein/Report.tar|
|Available languages:||,|x|Available languages::x}}|
|Available languages (codes):||,|x|Language code::x}}|
|Related projects:||Related projects,|x|Related projects::x}}|
|URL from which to download the latest .xo bundle||Activity bundle::|
|Last tested version number:|
|The releases with which this version of the activity has been tested.||,|x|Software release::x}}|
|Ready for testing (development has progressed to the point where testers should try it out):||,|x|Ready for testing::x}}|
|smoke tested :|
|test plan available :|
|test plan executed :|
|developer response to testing :|