Page for community servers?
I think the details on xochat.org here should be moved to a separate page, linked from a page on community servers. Here's another community server: Xo-austin --morgs 05:32, 19 February 2008 (EST)
i went ahead and did that --HarperReed 03:30, 2 March 2008 (EST)
What does the OLPC tag mean?
--HarperReed 21:39, 8 March 2008 (EST)
- It says "This page is maintained by the OLPC team." This means that anyone can edit the page, but someone is officially watching it and ensuring its correctness, so you can rely on it being reasonably up to date.--morgs 01:50, 10 March 2008 (EDT)
- Nice. thanks for the info. HarperReed
This statement is ambiguous:
"Sometimes it can be very useful to mix OLPC and non OLPC xmpp clients. An easy way to do so is register with any XMPP client and then sent the following IQ:"
I'm sorry, I'm a fairly technical user, but I just Google-d and Wikipedia-d for what an IQ is and to where and how you send one, and I can't seem to find a reference anywhere. Help us out here. I'm not a big IM'er, that's probably why I don't understand. I see nowhere to send an XML script in my chat client, Pidgin (gaim). I'm trying to verify that I can chat with my XO before I hand it over to my niece (I hope I'm even on the right track). Thank you all for the wiki.
- I think it's a piece of the XMPP protocol (extended with OLPC properties). I think you can just paste it into Pidgin, but I've never tried it myself. You can probably ignore it, I'll remove it off the page since in the next release we'll fix the issue and Pidgin (or whatever) will automatically show up on Sugar screens. In the mean time, you would see the XO in your Pidgin buddy list, and you can initiate a Chat by double clicking and sending a message which will show a Chat invite on the XO in release 8.2. --morgs 20:00, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
Trial and Error
I've been trying to get this to work but it's seems I'm not understanding. Is there a guide available for the new people? I have the telepathy connection going on both the Windows PC in Pidgin and on the XO. Unfortunately when I start a conversation on the PC side nothing happens on the XO. Do I need to start a program on the XO? Chat doesn't seem to help. I've logged into jabber.laptop.org as GreggerXO and GreggerPC if someone wants to test. I'd also like to see if I can shoot messages from other servers like Google talk. Are the servers connected?
- The servers are not connected. --morgs 08:49, 15 December 2008 (UTC)
Further to my comment before I found out the hard way that sending a message starts a chat program in the "background" on the XO. This I suppose is the chat invitation but it didn't occur to me until after a while. It actually looked like a frozen chat application. To start it I had to open the frame and click on the application. Alt-tab would not go to it. I have the chat working now.
- Great, that is how it works. Sugar will not launch an Activity without the user taking explicit action, so an invitation is generated on the frame. For a short while, a notification icon also pulses. --morgs 08:49, 15 December 2008 (UTC)