Created this page, because I felt there is a need for a centralized page for collecting thoughts about specific target audiences for users of the XO Laptop. Hopefully clarifying priorities and direction of efforts for development and problem resolutions. --IainD 13:01, 2 January 2008 (EST)
OLPC / XO Laptop is of course primarily about the children in impoverished areas which don't normally have access to technology. OLPC/XO Laptop is to assist them with a better education and brighter future.
Alas, with the start of the first Mass Production (MP) release, many more non-poverished children users have been added.
Those users who may likely want to use or are using the XO Laptop or associated resources. (May want to expand in the future into non-users like associate press, investors, parents, uncles, grandparents ???)
- (2 to 16 years old)
- Impoverished countries
- (low or no technology resources)
- (designing and implementing hardware/software/Activities)
- Linux enthusiasts
- (just because it's cool and new or different, or not MSFT)
- Supporters and promoters
- (not actual using on regular basis, but promotes the cause)
- Government Officials
- (helps connect finances, students, to laptops)
(? what are actual market merchandising categories??)
- infants (0 to 18months) - drool, not many
- toddlers (1 to 2 years) - investigative, walk on it
- youth (2 to 6 years) - crayon users, is it slobber proof?
- elementary (6 to 12 years) - love the video recorder
- middle school (12 to 16 years) - can it play games?
- high school (16 to 18 years) - where's doom and facebook ?
Users of Impoverish countries
- (levels of need ?)
- Government officials
Common Target platform
- Learning software
- FOSS / OpenSource
- Those promoting Microsoft Windows alternatives
- OpenSource / FOSS supporters
Supporters and promoters
- Spreading the word about the cause
- All people who just want to know a bit more about the laptop
- Kids/novices - tutorials, self-tour, etc.
- 1st-tier tech support (site experts, server/internet connection maintainers, etc.)
- 2nd-tier support (server installers, troubleshooters/fixers, etc.) - people representing the organization(s) deploying the olpc program
- Anyone else forgotten ?
Some notes also available in the following locations:
- Design Fundamentals
- Technical Audiences for Manuals
- Similar information at Community_Building.