If you'd like to volunteer to help OLPC out, please start by signing up for an account here on the wiki, and send email to volunteers at laptop.org to offer specific help or expertise. If you want build a local community of OLPC enthusiasts, you can also find ideas on the wiki about how to do that.
There are a number of ways to help the OLPC project.
- Developers and contributors : See the contributors program for ways to share project ideas and get hardware to work with
- Content developers : See curators and coordinators for ways to get involved with curation of software and content. See also contributing content for ways to contribute.
- Sharing ideas: see hardware ideas, software ideas and content ideas to contribute your thoughts and writing.
- Creators: Add yourself to the author list if you're already involved in developing activities, community services, or designs for the laptop.
- 1 Open volunteer positions
- 2 Bootstrapping : improving "How to help" information
- 3 Specific projects available
Open volunteer positions
(wiki, www, dev, rt, blog, and forum.laptop.org)
volunteer sysadmin for community projects
Volunteer infrastructure group - sysadmin and database work for community projects
storytelling workshop leader
Storytelling - adopting a country or school, editing a column for the blog or newsletter
Research consultant for schools and NGOs
working with research projects studying OLPC to help them understand the project, and do research relevant to its success
Tutorial writer and copyeditor
see "Bootstrapping" ideas below
Bootstrapping : improving "How to help" information
Project: develop better 'how to help' introductions for people from a number of different background and fields.
Social and education networks:
- University students
- Free culture activists
- Non-profit organizations (local and global)
Free and open software:
- Open source evangelists
- FOSS programers, see Getting started programming
- Translators and linguists
- Local newsletter editing
- Interpretation and mentoring across language barriers
Communication and outreach
- Build Grassroots Communities to support OLPC
Specific projects available
Project : improve on introductory posters, flyers, whitepapers, manuals, and cheatsheets to teach about OLPC; curate introductory materials that explain aspects of the project and laptops for XO users.
Ex: curate introductions for programming / gnukids & free licensing / social networks & safety
Content, software, and other.
mapping/geobrowsing | localization | midi/sound playback | video playback | mozilla/Browse optimization | sugar-jhbuild / development | emulation & live-cds | pygame, sdl and game development | offline wikipedia/dictionary browsing | intelligent tiered web caching for children : stories | math | science | art | languages (other than py)