The New York Interest Group is a way for people in the New York metro area and surrounding locations to talk about and work together on OLPC. We aren't necessarily interested just in trying to bring OLPC into classrooms in New York (although we generally think it's a wonderful idea) we're also interested in volunteering/contributing to the project.
OLPC New York IS
- a nucleation point for exchange between local groups, towards the OLPC Boston office and back, and with other groups worldwide
- helping in organizing XOs for the local groups
- supporting and cherishing the autonomy of local groups
- focusing on rough consensus, grassroots involvement, and working projects
OLPC New York IS NOT
- going to do a local pilot in your school (although we'll encourage and support you if you want to do one yourself)
- going to tell you what you are and aren't allowed to do (although we're always up for idea-bouncing and brainstorms)
Contact and chapters
If there's enough demand, we'll set up a mailing list. If you'd like to have an NYC-OLPC mailing list, post a link to your contact info (wiki userpages work) below - the minimum number for starting a list is 10 recent requests.
If you know of any New-York area schools, organizations, or groups of interested people who have organized or want to organize a Grassroots group or an University chapter, please ask them to add a link below.
- We're planning a meetup! We'd like to have an informal, getting-to-know-you gathering sometime during the last week of Feb. 2008, but need a place to host it. Can you help? Want to come? Want to help plan? Let Mel Chua know.
None yet - we're still working on upcoming events, which will be posted here as their dates pass.
If you're in New York and want to work on a project with someone local, post ideas here.