How to create a keyboard layout
Taken from Bernie Innocenti's response to Sayamindu Dasgupta on the devel mailing list, 5/24/08. Please expand these instructions, include links, clarify, cleanup, test, and improve. (modified by Walter on 5/17/11)
> > I'm not sure about the workflow for adding new keyboards - do I add > > the relevant changes to xkeyboard-config and start a build in Koji ? > > Thanks,
Both me and Arjun did it in the past. It's not complicated:
- checkout the Freedesktop xkeyboard-config CVS (See http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig/Development)
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xkeyboard-config
- read the rules for submitting xkeyboard-config patches: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig/Rules
- apply your changes there
- diff to obtain a patch
git commit <your changes> -m <your commit message> git format-patch HEAD^
- open a bug in Freedesktop's bugzilla with the patch attached (be sure to CC svu)
- wait for Sergey Udaltsov to give you feedback and to apply it once you have it right.
Note: You will likely be needing to update both a symbols file and the rules/base.extras.xml.in.
In parallel, you can add the patch to the package:
- obtain a Fedora account if you do not have one already
- checkout Fedora CVS for xkeyboard-config
- go to the OLPC-2 branch (check with dgilmore if you also need OLPC-3)
- add your patch (see how the others were done)
- commit your changes
- rebuild in Koji
- your changes will appear in the next joyride build
Also see keyboard_list for creating the artwork.