ProtoSnap Contributors Guide
This ProtoSnap Contributors Guide connects your XO to the real world of electronics, sensors and activators -- using SparkFun's $29.95 ProtoSnap - Pro Mini. We use the Logo-like Turtle Blocks visual programming environment initially, but later Scratch & Etoys are expected too. Please ask questions on the email@example.com mailing list! You can join right here: http://groups.google.com/group/unleashkids
These instructions have been tested on the XO-1 and XO-4 Touch laptop using the latest 13.2.0.
Some deployments are using older releases such as 11.3.1 in Haiti 2013. This release has not yet been tested.
- a ProtoSnap or Arduino Pro Mini, with the StandardFirmata already uploaded, if not see How to upload StandardFirmata to a ProtoSnap using ino, or How to upload StandardFirmata using the Arduino IDE,
- an XO laptop, with OLPC OS 13.2.0,
- a USB cable between the two.
- install the TurtleBots-22 activity, and start it,
- plug the ProtoSnap or Arduino Pro Mini into the XO laptop using the USB cable, and wait a few seconds for the indicators to stop flashing,
- click on the palette of Arduino blocks,
- notice how only the refresh Arduino block is available,
- drag a refresh Arduino block into the main area, then click on it,
- notice how the rest of the palette is made available; if this doesn't happen you have a problem and cannot proceed,
- drag a pin mode block into the main area, drag the OUTPUT block to the mode socket on the pin mode block,
- drag a digital write block and attach it to the bottom of the pin mode block,
- click on the pin mode block, and it will run both blocks, and the D13 LED on the ProtoSnap or Arduino Pro Mini should turn on.
Alternatively, try our sample TurtleBlocks project which uses the other LED on a ProtoSnap:
Please submit all ProtoSnap bug reports to our mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org (join @ http://groups.google.com/group/unleashkids), and all TurtleBlocks or TurtleBots bug reports to email@example.com