PAPPI stands for Parents And Profesionals for Positive Interventions
This page tracks the work of the PAPPI group to reduce the use of restraint and seclusion in schools and increase the use of positive behavioral supports.
We work via e-mail and hold a conference call once a month. Leave a note on the discussion page if you want to participate or e-mail gregsmithpm at gmail.com.
- Faciliate the ability of parents to tell their story and be heard without retaliation.
- Improve transparency about what is happening in schools and analyze data to demonstrate the use of restraint and seclusion.
- Develop tools and information for school systems to help reduce the use of restraint and seclusion through positive behavioral support.
- Increase the size of our group. Ensure that we have actionable tasks for new parents as they express a desire to be involved.
- Improve the laws and regulations on restraint and seclusion.
 Ways to volunteer
Whether this affects your child directly or not, you can help reduce the use of restraint and seclusion!
We have small things you can do (less than 30 minutes from a computer) and other ways you can be involved. Feel free to contact us any time
Here are ways to get started:
- Join our e-mail list (contact gregsmithpm at gmail.com)
- Particpate in monthly planning conference calls
- Participate in a campaign (see below)
- Come up with a new idea for a campaign PAPPI New Campaign Ideas
 Campaign to Protect Chapter 33 in Maine
Compromise legislation was agreed upon. It looks like a very good compromise which preserves the intent of the Chapter 33 updates:
This campaign may be over unless new ideas are proposed. See completed campaigns below for actions taken.
 From Restraint and Seclusion to Positive Behavioral Supports, One District at a Time
From Restraint and Seclusion to Positive Behavioral Supports, One District at a Time
The goal to look closely at one school system and make a difference there. We start by gathering data. Then we reach out to people in the community. Then we offer resources and support to help them improve practices in their schools.
This campaign is still under development. See the latest thinking on it here: PAPPI From R-S to PBIS
Examples of work to change practice in school systems: Northampton
 Completed Campaigns
 Meeting minutes
Next conference call, Tentatively Thursday March 7th, 8PM contact gregsmithpm at gmail.com for details and dial in info.
 News, Links and other resources
Pages collected under SPED namespace