Thank You North America
The generous G1G1 donors of North America have given of tens of thousands of XO laptops to children in developing countries, including these new XOers in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (Photo by Carla Gomez Monroy, Learning Consultant, OLPC, 17 Jan 2008) 03-3
- Learn about your XO laptop and what it can do
- Select a new Activity for your XO
Knowledge Base & Troubleshooting
- If your Give One Get One XO laptop is defective, please call 800-201-7144 within 30 days of receiving it.
- For common problems, please check our Troubleshooting Guide.
- Check our Technical Support FAQ, which is our brand-new and quickly growing "Knowledge Base" of users' Frequently Asked Questions.
- Our Give1Get1 FAQ will answer most Donor Services questions, and our more detailed Ask OLPC a Question for a wider range of answers, as well as the more general Official OLPC FAQ.
- If you are stuck, please email us at help AT laptop.org; make sure to include a detailed description of your problem! We apologize for the current delay in responding to some emails, as we staff up volunteers.
- Join our Community Support Volunteers, either online or in person in Cambridge, Massachusetts. To apply, send us a note detailing your talents, motivations and a phone number we can use to reach you. Thanks!
- Up-to-date Release Notes are forthcoming, as XO software upgrades are released going forward into 2008.
Join the XO Community
XO laptop owners are passionate about helping each other, in keeping with OLPC's constructionist learning mission within developing countries. You too can learn about the XO and its activities, collaborating on the issues that matter to you most, by exploring OLPC's many great community forums:
- If you can't find your questions on the wiki, ask them on the newly relaunched Community Support Forum
- See the Xo in action at an XO Roadshow
- Initiate or join a local users group. Online forums are emerging everywhere. Almost 100 regional US/Canadian /user groups have recently been announced. Here's a great worldwide summary of Emerging OLPC Communities. Independent Community Tech Support groups are also blossoming
- Please join our Live Chat on the web! Advanced users can download IRC to the XO and explore many OLPC chat channels
or general grassroots support
- Educators and others may [Participate|get involved] at many different levels Getting involved in OLPC, Contact OLPC, help the foundaton Or email "volunteers AT laptop.org"
Maintenance and Repair
Our Disassembly Guide offers step-by-step instructions taking apart your XO. Do NOT remove the watch battery on the mother board if you disassemble your machine; prior to the Q2D07 version of firmware, this can result in the computer becoming unusable.
RMS Logistics may offer Post-Warranty Repair Support at their North American repair facility, after your 30-day Warranty expires.
Each location worldwide is encouraged to establish a tech support center for hardware repairs and replacement. We encourage the students to be involved in the repair as much as possible. Some ideas on this have been written up in the Laptop Service Program Ideas.
How do I report a bug?
Community input and collaboration is vital to the success of OLPC. Thank you for your participation.
We are interested in your suggestions for enhancements to our system and defect reports. Please report bugs by sending email to "help AT laptop.org". (Developers, please continue to file bugs in our tracking system.)
Older Support Page & Demo Notes
Our Older Tech-Oriented Support Page is increasingly dated, but may offer archival context to the technically savvy.