Organizational brainstorming, notes, and feedback page for my Independent Research project (create a task tracker that can be implemented on the wiki).
 Task/Project Trackers to Investigate
- [Bontq] - Hosted Bug Tracker with common-platform desktop client on Java
- [] - a list of bug tracking software, there could be useful things in here (to be looked into)
After a bit of trouble getting Trac set up using my resources (Olin web servers don't use Python, which Trac needs), Andy Getz generously offered to host Trac for me [here]. Having finally gotten it up and running, I will be testing it out and trying to find as many features as I can.
- learn how to generate reports and queries
- get admin access - intsall webadmin package []
- learn how to configure/customize components
Thanks to Matt, I have been able to get a vmware instance of Trac running, so it should be more editable than the other version (and easier to edit). Once a reasonable set of user criteria have been established, I will be doing some basic usability testing with others, to see how easily people can do what we want them to be able to do.
 Task Tracker Issues
- finding tasks
- accepting tasks
- submitting/completing tasks
- "where do the bits go?!?" - a problem that the OLPC volunteering community as a whole needs to address
 To Do
- finish reading (part five onward is optional)
- continue working with Trac
- get others involved in testing Trac
- scoping out other trackers (optional)
- Python tasks (due Monday)
- types of data: numbers, strings
- how to write functions to deal with these things
- area of a circle
- converts feet to meters
- general conversions (in > cm, ft > in > cm, cm > m, furlongs > mi, mi > km, km > m, m > ft)
- work on fleshing out scenarios for a user type (thinking average user/project volunteer)
- figure out kinds of tasks that they'll do
- sketch out ideas for paper prototypes for work flow for average user
- programming exercises
- get office supplies
- fill in black holes
- test paper prototypes
- more revisions, creation of more complete paper prototypes (with tabs, drop down menus, etc.)
- make test quality versions
- get people to help with usability testing (1-2 people)
- bribe: dinner with Matt?
- goal for semester - be able to go into OLPC and do some testing and walkthroughs there
- transportation to 1CC
- contact SJ about people to talk to
- storyboard specific aspects of the process
- make clear workflow
- this will be the basis of implementation decisions
- (workflow) > (data)> (code), (data) > (presentation) > (workflow) relates to user experience
- look into capabilities of current system
- stable Trac installation to work with
- bug Matt until this happens (hopefully by Thurs. night)
- is there a way to modify the ticket creation forms in Trac?
- what can I do with the existing interface?
- what do the docs say I can change?
- find limitations and flexibility with design goals in mind