Help talk:Bulletin board
- 1 The OLPC Wiki Bulletin Board
The OLPC Wiki Bulletin Board
- Any comment to this wiki.
- For posting a new one, please use the + tab at the top of this page or simply use this link,
- If you want to reply to an comment, please click the edit tab of that section and put your comment prefixed ":" beneath the relevant one.
- Please always sign your comment by ~~~~.
a comment example -- LeeSI 12:17, 16 January 2008 (EST)
- a reply example -- LeeSI 00:50, 19 January 2008 (EST)
Searchability in the Wiki
I have had trouble using the Wiki search tool. For instance I get no results going after 'forth', 'Forth', or 'FORTH', even though there are pages with that word in their title.
Collapsing Table Rows
- Fixed. There was a duplicate copy of the code in MediaWiki:Common.js producing the second switch button. --FGrose 04:39, 11 November 2009 (UTC)
Search box in MonoBook skin
With the MonoBook skin the Google search field is not displayed; only the OLPC search field is available. --FGrose 00:04, 27 February 2008 (EST)
The wiki date reformatting does not seem to be implemented:
- Use links for dates, so everyone can set their own display order. Use Special:Preferences to change your own date display setting. July 20, 1969 , 20 July 1969 and 1969-07-20 will all appear as 20 July 1969 if you set your date display preference to 1 January 2001. --FGrose 17:03, 13 March 2008 (EDT)
two column translation
Because people contributing are either Spanish or English speakers, and both are welcome as well as those who are bilingual, the best format for the page I need would be two-column, because the notion of original vs translation will be very fluid, and it will help everybody if both versions are visible at the same time. I don't know how to do it, or even if it can be done painlessly my page of concern is http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Bolivia
I can be contacted at yamaplos at bolinux dot org
- The translation template directions aren't very clear. I'm going to take it one or two steps forward in the process. That may help. Cjl 15:29, 16 April 2008 (EDT)
- This page, Projects, has two sections that display side-by-side. I don't know how you might link one sentence or paragraph with another, but sufficient white space between sentences or paragraphs may suffice. --FGrose 21:19, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
help in translation from technotalk to normal?
on top of the wiki there is a translatebox to/from many languages
However, even tho i understand english, i am COMPLETELY lost in the jargon that is displayed and the institutional knowledge required to apply the content of the wiki. Is it me or is there another wiki that is geared to helping users get going? This OLPC wiki seems a great place for Tech people to help each other out but for example i am guided to fedora which mentions something like Is there a GUI for yum like synaptic....Hello?? Sorry???
I can find the topics that i want in the wiki, such as MP3 for being able to listen to a podcast... but then is stops...i see code (i think) but is there a helpdesk/volunteerservice for non-computerpeople somewhere who can take you through the steps, step by step?
I am not sure my message will hit home as the people involved with this wiki are probably part of the techtribe that i am not, but i feel like an alien who has just landed.
- You might find the Glossary page helpful. The wiki is indeed used heavily by members of the "tech-tribe" to share in the distributed effort to improve the XO software, and tech-speak is the native language for discussing such matters. It is important to remember that the OLPC mission is not primarily aimed at helping G1G1 donors enhance/modify their laptops. Features like MP3 codecs (software to encode and decode MPEG-3 audio format) may not be considered a high priority for development or documentation when open-source audio formats like OGG are preferred for use in OLPC deployments, whereas in spite of it's popularity, MPEG-3 is mired in world-wide legal uncertainty.
- Many members of the tech-tribe will play around with their XO's and port things like MP3 players on their own (and then hopefully document their efforts on the wiki, sometimes in obscure techy shorthand) for others to learn from, but this is not really part of OLPC's mission, so support for things like that is very much do-it-youself. Cjl 16:08, 18 May 2008 (EDT)
I was just updating Ask_OLPC_a_Question_about_the_XO with infomation on a new buddy icon color reference chart but the Edit links did not correctly associate with the items they were displayed with. When I clicked on the item to edit, I got an edit tool with the contents of the previous item in it. I don't know enough about this wiki format to figure out how/why it was off. My browser was Mozilla Firefox 184.108.40.206. Chris 12:31, 11 May 2008 (EDT)
- Works for me. --Quozl 22:17, 21 August 2011 (UTC)
Power Diagram Page gives 500 Server Error
The page XO Power Diagram is broken!
- I removed the scaling directive from the image, and the page is no longer broken. When I try to set it back, the page breaks. --Quozl 22:15, 21 August 2011 (UTC)