So you want to run a pilot project? This page contains case studies, deployment reports/analysis, and advice directly relevant to pilot stakeholders.
General Preparation Guides
- OLPC Deployment Principles
- Deployment Guide
- SugarLabs Deployment Resources
- Educational ideas to consider (but not take dogmatically)
- Ideas for non-OLPC educators
- Concerns and criticism to be mindful of
- OLPC Oceania/Deployment
- [of Teacher training plan]
Preparing parents and teachers
- OLPC and SugarLabs background
- Intro to Sugar and Sugar Activities
- Guide on How to present Sugar
- Approach used in Oceania
- Introduction to SugarLabs
- Essays on Teaching and Learning by Marvin Minksy (MIT)
- Sugar manual
Intro to Sugar and Sugar Activities
These materials will give teachers and parents an idea of what can be done with Sugar, the software environment originally developed by OLPC and now developed by SugarLabs:
- Turtle Art basics
- Creating a customized Memory game
- Discovering the Physics activity
- Using the Journal
- Using View Source
For another list see SugarLabs videos page
Lesson Plan integration ideas
Here are some ideas to start discussion about how one might integrate Sugar into the classroom. These are not normative of course - just examples.
Have a look at the Intro to Sugar and Sugar Activities section too
- New Group Started on Curriki for lesson plans. Please contribute so this repository will grow. This lesson plan template is quite comprehensive.
- Cambridge Friends School
- http://www.perueduca.edu.pe/olpc/archivos/GUIA%20Pedagogica%20OLPC_p1.pdf and http://www.perueduca.edu.pe/olpc/OLPC_fichasfasc.html
- SugarLabs Gardner Pilot Academy]
- Uruguay Deployment Update
It's An Education Project - SugarLabs Deployment blogs
We don't know of any place one can get:
- a screencast of Write activity suitable for introducing teachers / parents to how it can be used in the classroom / at home.
Please add anything you want to this list. We point people at it when they ask "what can I create".