Mediawiki stuff
I have seen a fair amount of discussion of the possibility of having school-level wikipedias. The issues involved are offline browsing (static content, caching, at 2 levels: global<->school server<->xo) and editing (multilevel synchronization - a problem that probably cannot be "solved" but can be attacked). This person would need to have architectural vision and PHP skills. If there were such a proposal, I would suggest that they could spend a little extra time supporting/mentoring my Summer of Content proposal for a multilingual wiki. Homunq 12:18, 2 March 2008 (EST)
 Shared wikis for projects
- Keep a shared page for each collaborative project or actvity itself that is shared across a school and/or class : automatically generate pages/namespaces for class + activity + project where help notes, reports, and progress are tracked. Define how these namespaces interact aross clases, schools, and at a global level on wikieducator / wikiversity / similar sites
- Define how to link together a set of related work into a report : linking to a project/file/record, customized to launch a specific activity via wiki markup.
- Work on the interface b/t MikMik and a MediaWiki server.
 Alternative desktops
 Interactive Desktop
hii its nishant i would like to devlop an interactive desktop softwarewhich can be used to learn the system and also can be used as a friend . I would like to use AI to enhance the working and simulating this . I also want to make that desktop like aperson who can handdle particular tasks assigned to it .
 Mesh Networking
 Tools development
As we reach for increasingly larger numbers of nodes participating in mesh network testbed, it is evident that sophisticated methods and tools for monitoring, logging and debugging will become necessary. Project deliverables include:
- Maintain our mesh network testbed
- Review different methods for controlling and monitoring large numbers of machines (control over wireless vs. control over Ethernet, stored logs vs. online logging, etc)
- Implementation of network application + GUI to remotely control, configure and analyze logs from mesh network experiments on large testbed
 Visualization development
A few visualizations of the mesh have been developed so far; the default random visualization, a roughly signal-strength based visualization that shows other XOs a distance away inversely proportional to signal srength. What other visualizations would be useful or interesting? How do these idea scale to thousands of XOs or a number of school clusters?
 Health Tools
- Design software to interact with the different health peripherals.
- Integration of other FLOSS software like OpenMRS.
- Display and interpret bio-signals (e.g EKG. EMG..)
- Help in Projects/TeleHealth Database
- Hello, my name is Chao Zhang, and I am a graduate student of computer science focused on bioinformatics. I always paid close attention to OLPC and I am very interested in developing some health tools for OLPC. It is a good chance to contribute my knowledge to the open source projects. Since I have more than 5 years experiences on developing finance and enterprise management systems and more than 8 years experiences on JAVA programming, I am also fascinated about the simple financial planning tools. I hope to chat with mentors to get more details on those ideas. My email: email@example.com
- Dear mentors,
My name is Joana Cabral and I am an enthusiastic supporter of the OLPC project. I have graduated last September in Biomedical Engineering and I am currently following a PhD program in Computational Neuroscience in Barcelona. During my scholar education I got familiarized with bio-signals, not only EKG and EMG but also more chaotic signals like EEG so I believe I may fit to your needs.
I think this kind of softwares will be extremely useful, especially for undevelopped countries, where the health services are sparse and unsufficient and cannot eventually afford to buy health tools softwares.Nevertheless we must underline that a special care must be given to the reliability and robustness of of health tools since they can eventually be used for diagnosis and remote monitorization of children patients.
I would like to discuss with the mentors some more ideas about this project and let you know a little more about me. Please contact me to: firstname.lastname@example.org
 Code libraries
some core sugar, some xo-optimization
Add as much support as possible using the Geode graphics processor.
Develop the xo3d library based on work started by User:Wade. This is a flat shaded software 3D renderer with support for objects, lighting & clipping, exposed to Python. It also features a matrix and vector math library.
 Publication and Journal sharing
Incorporate the Distribute activity into the shell At the basic level this will require:
- A way to initiate a transfer (a button in the Journal, a contextual option on an object, a drag'n'drop operation)
- Notification to the receiver
- Some method to indicate progress to sender and receiver, with a way to cancel
- A journal entry for the receiver containing the resulting file
Necessary future support:
- Transparent support for interrupted connections
 WebJournal Proposal
This is a proposal to build modification in the Journal Activity that provide a publication and share feature. This new feature will be able to become children production accessible for the web.
 Web Page Building Tool
This is activity is related to the Networked Blogging Project above. While the focus of that is the system level implementation including server side web applications and posting to public blog tools, the focus of this piece is on the client side interface. We need a simple GUI for kids to build web pages. It should have hooks in it to easily post to the full tool as described above. It should also have an easy way for kids to see the web page in a browser and then edit it again based on that layout. The target is an update to the existing write application which has a post to blog option and a view in browser option as well.
- The fundamental solution requirements are similar to those from last year:
 Specific Activities
Applications should show serious thought about what can be achieved in the short time available. Whether you are starting from scratch or adapting an existing app, fewer well-implemented/adapted features are far preferable to many poorly-implemented ones. In either case, but especially in the case of an adaptation, a solid foundation makes it easy to add (back) in more features later.
 Flash Card creator
The student and mentor would evaluate open source flash card programs together, and then either port or adapt one to XO. The flash card program would be developed with a Sugar-specific UI and features. It would feature one of the well known flash card memorization algorithms for tracking student progress through each deck of cards. (see Drill and test software)
- Hello, my name is Jon Volkman, and I am fascinated about working on the creation of an open source flash card program for XO. I have several preliminary ideas, and find what research (and efforts on other platforms) that have been put into this concept very intriguing.
- Hi, my name is Adam Goldstein and I recently applied and submitted what thoughts I have for writing a flexible and complete flash card creator for XO. I would really like to take what lessons I've learned from both making and using various programs on multiple platforms to develop a solid tool for study. I'm very excited to explore implementation possibilities and would really enjoy a chance to discuss.
- Hi, my name is Urko Fernandez and I've recently started coding a new activity to create and use flashcards. I wanted to give a constructivist touch so I've added tagging to cards and I'm trying to encourage the user to create and even rewrite or reformulate the given questions and answers with her own words and let some sort of popularity decide which is the best way to ask and answer a card. I'm going to use Leitner's system but as flashcards are to be related according to the tags and the content of their answers, I may insert from time to time a question apparently unrelated.
- More info: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Assimilate Code is already on the git server: http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=activities/assimilate . Tturk (2008)
- There was lots of interest in this last year, but no completed projects. This would be a great type of project to pick up this SOC, and I'd be glad to mentor such a project. --Sj talk 12:49, 16 March 2009 (UTC)
 Master Mind (game)
Implement the well known board game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_(board_game)
- Hello, my name is Ian, and I am interested in working on this project, as it seems similar to other projects I have worked on. I would be interested in learning more about this project in detail if possible. Please email me at email@example.com.
 Typing Tutor
A game-like typing tutor activity would be developed by the student. Existing open source projects would be evaluated for ideas. Features would include adapting to student progress, support for all XO keymaps (take a look at Keyboard#Languages_other_than_English for information on supported keyboard layouts) and written languages, progress tracking graphs, the ability to locally customize the program, etc
- Hello, my name is Kelly. I'm most interested in writing a game to teach basic numbers and math. I'm also interested in this typing tutorial, and I'm willing to work wherever you think I'd be most useful. I know Scheme, C, and Python; I'm familiar with lex and yacc. Mentors please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hello, I am Shree Kant , I m interested in writing a typing tutor based on video and audio, I am thinking about something of this sort from quite a long time, I would like to do it this summer for OLPC email me email@example.com
The student would develop a simple financial planning program, basically the simplest possible version of Quicken. It would provide a simple income / expense register, monthly tracking, budget planning, expense & income categories, and a loan calculator.
This activity idea came from a request by the Nepal deployment.
- I have put up the detailed proposal here and the abstract to which can be found here -dkd903 : firstname.lastname@example.org
- I'm interested in creating an easy to use finance program in java or python, although I wouldn't mind expanding its functionality to more than is described here. Trying to look for OLPC GSoC related items in IRC to no avail, but my email is email@example.com. -mpoon
- My name is David Wong and I am an undergraduate at U.C. Berkeley studying Business administration and EECS. I would love to create a financial accounting program! I could write the program in Java, C, or even Scheme. Please email more details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My name is Tamil and I am currently a Masters student at Georgia Institute of Technology. I actually have created rudimentary fuel economy and optimization programs through FORTRAN. I also know Java and C++ and am currently teaching myself Python. I am an active member of my school's Investments and Finance Club so I am astute in all things financial (plus i use Quicken on a regular basis). I would love to help out with OLPC on this plus I do have other ideas. Please contact me at email@example.com.
I'm Sergiu, and I am an undergraduate at the Technical University of Iasi Gh Asachi, in Romania. The financial system i would like to build for you will be web based (php or java, you choice), so the same system can be accessed from any location. Also (no matter which language will be used for the web part), i can build a desktop application, for accessing the database from the server, so including the programs other students might be able to develop. The security won't be a problem (as i have developed applications verified and signed by VeriSign, world's most notorious authority in security).
- Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
Create a system dynamics (SD) model editor and simulation engine, expanding on the current OpenSim work. The advantages to this would be:
- Models are visual and mathematical representations of a system, which allows for a different form of visual programing than that of Turtle Art
- SD is used in international development planning and to teach systems thinking to K-12 students
- Simulation engine could be accessible from other programs, like Micropolis
- Programs like Micropolis could have their core logic in SD models and access it through the simulation engine, allowing people to switch to a visual representation of the program logic to understand and change it.
-Bobby Powers (potential mentor)
There's a variety of work that is left to be done in Inferno on OLPC, things that might be best done by a student include:
- fontfs - mapping OLPC fonts to inferno native fonts
- metafs - mapping file system permissions to OLPC model
- camera/audio support
- new window manager for Inferno which better matches OLPC paradigm
- integration with OLPC collaboration framework
- integration with OLPC internationalization mechanisms
- edutainment applications written in Limbo for OLPC
Engineers Without Borders, Timepedia, and International Symposium on Digital Earth want to work with OLPC to create community-based mapping data collection systems that will feed to global mapping and analysis projects, which will then feed back to the children and their communities. Environment, health, agriculture...
Deducto is a Board Game based on pattern recognition initially developed by Walter Bender at MIT Media Labs using Perl language. The game has been re-written in Python by the founding members of Open Source Community-NSIT, India. HTML version of the game is available at [Deducto]. Project is also available at [GIT Repository]. Addition of a feature where a user could generate his/her own levels of the game, development of UI, and re-design using PyGTK are the areas for development.
 Food Force Project
Go is a great game which promotes connectivity and cultural exchange, not to mention critical thinking. The PlayGo activity () has alreagy begun an implementation. It would be nice to bring this project into phases 2 and 3.
- I am very interested in this particular project. My name is Brandon Wilson, and if I could be of help in this project please contact me at .
- My name is Artem Kaznatcheev and I am also interested in this project. I was curious if you desired future development to follow the "PlayGo" phase 2 and 3 goals exactly, or if we could expand and split from there; some ideas could include: AI opponents (GnuGo, AnyGo and other open source players), "learning" mode, "puzzle" mode, and variants of Go (Zen Go, etc). Any information would be welcome.
 ANN - Artificial Neural Networks
ANN is an activity where children can design, build, and test artificial neural networks (ANNs). Each 'experiment' will have a particular task ranging in difficulty from switching on and off a light to controlling a paddle in a game of pong. Children will design and build an ANN that they can then test in a simulated environment. If you have any comments, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi That is Smriti Garg here I am a student doing Masters of Sciences Computer Application and is right now exploring these ANNs So I will love to help you out with this as far as experience is considered i have developed a few web applications and has good hands on on JAVA here is my e mail id email@example.com
Jigsaw puzzle. play and share.
- Hi, I am Omar Arana. I study computing science.
I like developing 3-D games and animations. I've got experience developing applications of this kind, for Cross-Platform Windows/Linux. Here you have a sample of what I can do: http://www.geocities.com/oa_indy I've used SDL beforehand. I'd love to create "Jigsaw Puzzles". I have also made 3-D graphics, using only basic 2-D graphic primitives. Mentors please email me to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hi, I'm Omar Mestas, I've been interested in the developing of educational games for children, since
it's the best time to learn. I am good in languages like C/C++, Delphi/Kylix. I'd like to create games in 3D that can catch children's eye helping to the learning process. I can also work with some tools related to the developing of graphics. I'm good at working in groups and under pressure so I can complete my aims. Please contact me to my mail: email@example.com
- Hello I am Smriti Garg right now a student but has worked on some of the web development projects and is quite interested in putting in efforts to the game development areas So would love to work on some thing like that
Doing Masters of Sciences Computer Application I am sure that if taken any project in hand will create it as have been expected
 Water Wonders
A game targeted at 8 – 12 year old children. The objective of the game is to teach children about how pollution, global warming and mismanagement of the water supply is affecting the world’s water resources. This is accomplished using an intriguing storyline, fun characters, a variety of interesting environments to explore, and an appealing graphical interface. The game adheres to a high level of scientific accuracy and realistically depicts many aspects of the job of an environmental scientist.
- Lin firstname.lastname@example.org
 Education ToolKit
There was a nice project done in Chile using Ipacks: the "teacher" would pose a problem and the children would formulate an answer. Then they'd gather in groups of four and pool their answers. Each group of four would then reach consensus on an answer they thought was correct. All of the group answers would be shared with the entire class. Then a class discussion would ensue: why did Group A come up with that answer? The role of the computer and the teacher was to facilitate the discussion among the students and to focus discussion around problem areas that revealed themselves in discussion. A nice use of collaboration that has nothing to do with taking control or "all eyes forward". For more information goto http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_toolkit
Hi, I am student from Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Gwalior, India interested in this type of software because of the reason that I have worked on this sometime long. I have created an E-learning software for children which is an interactive one. Let me know how can I help OLPC in this particular process. Contact me at email@example.com. Thanks...
Hi, My name is waseem. I am Master student in Royal Institute of Technology (Stockholm, Sweden), my major is Software Engineering
of Distributed Systems. I have an idea (which i have been working on for a while) and it is closely related to this topic. The
main idea is to develop an interactive application that will take any form of text (story, scientific essay, news or any form of composed text) and extract those part of the text that could be transformed in to multiple choice questions and short questions, which could be then presented to the user . Main purpose of the application will be to help children in their exam preparation, as they could make their own exam paper on the fly and evaluate their preparation . I would like to discuss this porject in more details. I can be easily reached by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With Best Regards, Waseem Shaukat
 Board & card games
A suite of board and/or card games would be developed by the student including things like Chess, Checkers, Othello, Mancala. They would all be built on a common framework so that more games could be developed easily. Features would include multiplayer tournaments (including chat & spectator support), good computer AI, interactive game teaching, game recording & playback, etc.
- Hi, I am Preeti, from New Delhi. I am very keen on working with OLPC on developing Board & Card Games. I have already done work in this aspect, in C++, by making several games such as Brainvita, Solitaire and Scrabble. I want to contribute to the Google Summer of Code in this project. Please let me know how I can help..email@example.com
My name Is Christopher Hall, I study computing science at Glasgow University, I have already written Othello in Java and would love to be selected to write more games on a standard frame work. I will answer any questions about myself or my interest in this project at 0406503h(@)student.gla.ac.uk
- Hello im a Lucien Pereira, I'm a computer scientist student. I'm interrested in contributing to write a chess game in GSoC context. I got good skills in Python, C++ and java. Mail me at lperei04[@t]etudiant.univ-mlv.fr.
- Hello, my name is Pedro Marcos. I'm a computer engineering student at ITA (wich stands for, in English, Aeronautics Technology Institute), I'm Brazilian and I'm very interested in developing a checkers game for OLPC written in Java. It could possibly include a multiplayer mode and record history. Also an implementation of a Sudoku game (also in Java) with different levels of difficulty and size. I have already written a game (SuperTrunfo) in Java for a class and I would love to see one of my programs being a part of OLPC.For more information please email-me at firstname.lastname@example.org
>> Hello, My name is Dommaraju Sandeep.I am pursuing M.Sc (Hons) Mathematics and B.E (Hons) Computer Science Engineering in Bits-pilani,goa campus,India.I would like to work on developing an "Unscramble words" game for the OLPC programme, which I am sure will be both recreational and informative game for children.I have programming experience in C,C++ and Java.I would like to extend my help in developing in games like zatacka,arkanoid, etc.If you like you can contact me at email@example.com
- Hello, My name is Ray Hogan and I will be graduating in October with a degree in Computing and Computer Games Development. I am interested in making casual games (boards, card etc) in JAVA. I have a vast knowledge of the preperation, design and production of games as it's been a key topic in the past three years of my studies. I am currently making a Hangman, Tic Tac Toe and Connect 4 game in Java using Java Swing components. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a memo on the freenode IRC network, my nickname being H0gan.
>>Greetings. My name is Joseph Austin. I am finishing an undergrad in English at Middle Tennessee State University, while working on another in Computer Science. I will be out of classes this summer, so I would like to spend those idle hours with GSOC. Specifically, I have a game idea in mind that has never been implemented, called "The Diamond Watch". I have experience in C and C++, specifically using Allegro. My website ( http://www.vasilisagames.com ) contains a game created by me, completed in under a month. What I am offering is a game that is fun, intuitive, and works the logical centers of our users developing brains without exhausting them. The board ( ) Works as a clock that changes each turn, with a diamond on both ends. The user may go to any node ( marked purple ), but may not go back a step. The player also has the option of standing still once at a time. This game is played like paper-rock-scissors, in that both moves are made privately before the board updates. If both players move to the same location, they each must go the opposite direction. If one player "rests" a turn, and the other attempts to move into the same space, only the other player has to move the opposite direction. The object is to claim both diamonds, much like capture the flag. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com. I will also be on the IRC channel as JBLovloss.
 3D Software Renderer & Game
A simple flat shaded 3D graphics library would be developed by the student for the XO platform, with an accompanying game. The game would be something exciting and multiplayer but non-violent, I'm thinking about a first person firefighting simulator (where you shoot water at animated fires and rescue victims) or something like that. The game would be designed by the student with direction from the mentor.
- I may be able to do this firefighting simulator game using python/pygame. Not sure about 3D graphics library. Request some details of mentor. --krish
- Hi, my name is nataly, I am peruvian , I am working in 3D reconstruction now and I am interested in this project. My mail is firstname.lastname@example.org . Mentors please tell me how I can help.
 XO Smart Kid
Its a single player game where the main character is the role of a child(XO user). The story line of the game revolves around the life of the child & hence the stages include missions like 1. going to school 2. organising items in a room 3. getting list of things from mall and more The game intends to teach the player(child) elements of social behaviour & also cautious and careful living. Examples: 1. the player avoids any contact with strangers on his way to school. 2. he needs to cautiously cross the roads 3. remember routes for school, home,mall...
The player will be awarded game points like chocolates/pastries; since most children love them.
The learning from this game can be applied to real social life.
- I had proposed this idea on the games mailing list. Looking for a mentor. Suggestions/comments welcome - email@example.com
 Micropolis (SimCity)
The source code is on Google Code, and I've been working on finishing up all the grunt work that requires familiarity with the code and would be hard for other people to do, to enable other people to work on the higher level stuff that depends on that.
There are two Micropolis projects:
- The old "micropolis-activity" which is the original TCL/Tk version of SimCity for Unix, which I ported to Linux and adapted to the OLPC.
- The new "MicropolisCore" C++/SWIG/Python module that I've cleaned up and I have started developing a user interface.
It would be best to put effort into developing the new MicropolisCore code for the long term, although there are some small tasks that could be done with the old TCL/Tk code for the short term. -Don Hopkins
- I've been brainstorming some new sort of work connecting the MC engine with other libraries, and recently got PacMan to work with pacman traversing city streets and eating up traffic as dots... [Jan 2009] 
Update: We have made a lot of progress on the new Python based version of Micropolis! The GTK/Cairo/Pango version is playable, and I'm developing a web based version with Python/TurboGears/SQLAlchemy/Genshi/Cairo/Pango on the web server, and OpenLaszlo/Flash on the client side. More information on the project at .
 Improve DrGeo
The DrGeo activity (interactive geometry) port need to be finished and improved in different areas.
 Parts to be written
- implementation of the macro-construction system. It is a system to record a set of constructions as a function the user can save and use repeatably. See the original implementation.
- implementation of the script system. A script within DrGeo is code hooked to an interactive sketch, it is used to perform calculus. See the original implementation in Scheme. The script language will be Smalltalk based.
 Parts to improve
- Improve the load time, the load time is now unacceptable for the user and make DrGeo unadapted for the OLPC.
- Define a journal type entry to save/load.
- Improve the user interface, particularly the access to the construction tools.
- Improve the locus sampling, it is by now suboptimal.
Other suggestions for improvements, see the DrGeo tracker.
== comment == I'd love to participate to DrGeo. I'm Anna Wrochna (Lilavati), I am studying math+CS at the Warsaw Univeristy. I speak French, have used SmallTalk, loved geometry in high school - I'm the man for the job. Please contact me as a.wrochna(a)gmail.com .
 Email activity
Develop a light, functional and usable email client
- log children on automatically.
- cache things locally, both for writing and for reading.
- interest: Shikhar is interested in developing an email activity, see proposal outline Email client
- Hello, I'm Pedro Marcos and I have already showed my interest in developing a project for OLPC (the Board, card games Project) but this project also interests me a great deal. I have, while i was a intern at a webdevelopment and webhosting company called Secrel (www.secrelnet.com.br) , developed a light email manager written in ASP. It could download emails via SMTP and categorize then according to what it was at the body of the message and more. Contact-me at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Thanks for the oportunity :)
 Mind mapping activity
A few teachers (including the teacher in Arahuay) have requested a mind-mapping activity. MindMeister and similar suites have offered us some of their toolchains.
 Elements. 2D physics simulation
Making 2D rigid body physics easily accessible and implementable with python/pygame on the XO laptop. Project started already as 'Elements'
 Computer Vision with OpenCV
OpenCV is a computer vision library developed by Intel that greatly simplifies complex tasks like object recognition and tracking and image manipulation. Possible uses for it include vision based games, gesture recognition, and video chat with low bandwidth cartoon characters substituted for video.
 XOradio and XOtv
The idea is to supply an easy way (1 click) to broadcast contents (audio and video) from a OLPC laptop, and then, put all the available channels together in a OLPC global channel of lectures sharinghowtos sharing, p2p online help, video connected classrooms/sessions,... page in OLPC Austria wiki this link is broken at the moment
 Virtual Garden
It will be a virtual garden where children can grow and breed different plants. The plant's characteristics are going to be defined by the user, but the main idea of the project is that every characteristic of the plant is genetically represented; therefore, to create beautiful, interesting plants, children would need to understand the way in which the genes affect the plant, and how can they use inheritance to produce the desired offspring. In the creation of the artificial plants, the work by Przemyslav Prusinkiewicz y Aristid Lindenmayer in their book "The Algorithmic beauty of Plants" will be used, with an addition: The flowers will be based in the superformula by Jhon Giellis.
Hi, My name is Venture M and I am pursuing my Masters in Information Technology at RMIT, Melbourne Australia. I have programming experience since last 7 years, of which 4 years is in Software Industry. I have been programming in OpenGL since the last 5 years as a hobby. Although I have not read the ideas behind this project, I am sure that I will be able to grasp and implement them. Please contact me at email@example.com.
 Language Learning
 Foreign language learning
Focusing on English: A tool to learn foreign languages would be a great addition for the XO. At it's most rudimentary form, it can start with an interactive [[dictionary, but something advanced would be preferred, perhaps along the lines of LingoTeach.
- My name is Kelly. I'm interested in this task and other OLPC tasks, and want to talk to a mentor. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am interested in this task and in other linguistic/language oriented tasks. I would like to talk to a mentor. E-mail me at email@example.com Thanks. ~Kobey
- Hello, I have drafted my idea for a English vocabulary improving activity at WordNet Game. Regards Nikola
- Hello,i have an idea of an application where children can "talk" to the computer.Application uses speech recognition and speaks out words and involves small vocabulary building games.-Vidya Email me at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Twext es un idea para ayudarnos a aprender lenguajes. twext is an idea to help us to learn languages El software Twexter ya tiene un demo que maneja twexter software now has ¡alpha! that works with el UniCode para que twexteamos en muchas idiomas. global text so that we can twext in many languages * kids teach kids * alpha demo * moodle me * mediawixi * twext * code this fixed font twext 'roughly' aligns when you CTL+ or CTL- to adjust font size :)
 Speech synthesis
Listen and Spell : A simple game to help children learn to spell words correctly using speech synthesis technology. Words will be spoken, and the child will be expected to correctly spell it.
The game can have the following features:-
- Difficulty Level - Easy/Medium/Hard
- Multiple Dictionary Sources
- Contextual Dictionary Lookups - The application can lookup words related to specific keywords, speak out a small description of the word, and then expect the child to spell it.
- Mesh Challenge - Children can collaborate over the Mesh Network and challenge each other in a multiplayer game. The child will type the word on his XO, this will be spoken on the other XO, and the player must spell it correctly.
A very basic activity draft that can be suitably scaled is available at talkntype
Hi, I am Assim Deodia. I have originally posted this idea on olpc mailing list and gsoc list. I have extented this idea and created a wiki page here Listen_and Spell. I am looking for a mentor who is interested in speech synthesis and language learning activity for the XO. email: email@example.com
I'm really interested in this project and need to contact mentor. e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi, I'm very interested in this project and I need to contact the mentor about some ideas that I had :). Please contact me: email@example.com
 Coding Tutor
Coding Tutor is a Programming Language & Technique learning tool, inspired by the Hackety Hack software which is a browser cum compiler for learning hacking in Ruby. Initially a C/C++ & Python Tutor with the purpose of C/C++ as system/base languages and Python as the modern easy to use, friendly programming language! Some key features include Speech Interactivity, Error Highlighter, Hints, Multi-Language Support, Network Sharing, Quiz Sessions etc. Coding Tutor supports the idea of "Learning while having fun" and thus will be a software intended to make the chore of learning coding a fun task.
Hi, I am Rahul Bagaria, NSIT, India. I have proposed this project for GSoC and have created a basic wiki page describing the project in detail at Coding Tutor. I am looking for a mentor interested in Programming Environments and speech based learning for XO.
 Misc / needs work
 My FilmCity(@INDOKLEY)
Record your songs and upload. Download the songs that is give by the "Music" Teacher. Make Playlist from the list of Songs(here we can resirict the list of songs according to the MUSIC TEACHERS)
- Upload Video
- Download Video
 Embed twexter into activities
twexter software formats twin text (twext) for language learners.. twexter can work with all kindsa tools/activities like moodle or scratch or mediawiki or wixi so we can grow multilingual.. twexter can also annote same language text, for example by translating complex english to "basic english"
hi,I am kinda interested in this project. I am a master student from China, whose research interest is natural language processing. I need more information about this. I guess my research experience may do some contribution to this project.Who is the mentor? could you please contace me. my email: firstname.lastname@example.org. thanks a lot.
- speech to text
- closed captioning
- timed text (syllabic level karaoke)
- sync w/ audio video
synxi will help us 2.) learn language, 1.) teach language, 0.) share language
 Meta activities
 Activity Translation Activity
Similar to the functionality offered by the "View Source" key, an activity should ideally allow the user to translate it. A Translate activity would allow the user to translate any given activity, and optionally let the user share the translation, so that it can be reused by other users in the mesh.
 Eclipse plugin for Activities
An [Eclipse] plugin which would allow software developers to easily write Python based activities for Sugar. Some of the features can be
- Integration with an Xnest/Xephyr window which would run the activity being developed in Sugar
- Easily accessible developer documentation
after three days playing around with XO, Sugar, xephyr ... i realize that we are no need another eclipse plugin for developing sugar activities. Just install PyDev plugin. start Xephyr and run eclipse "inside" Xephyr
 Sugar Factory
Sugar Factory is an automated method for Sugarizing non-Python applications. Albert Cahalan has some of this working now.
 Privacy and Parental Control
- Access control of the students
- Trace of Student activity and alert if open illegal and unauthorized websites and contents.
- Remote control of student laptop by if he is in home network
- Activiy log of the student and daily usage of laptop
- Daily,monthly analysis of the student usage (what they have used like fun,studies ,games etc)
Hi, I am Maria, a master student at University of California. I am interested to help XO program by developing a tool for parental control. I have great knowledge in C++, Perl and Java and my previous research include some privacy preserving software development.