One of OLPC's core principles is Connection:
- "The children in the neighborhood are thus permanently connected to chat, share information on the web, gather by videoconference, make music together, edit texts, read e-books and enjoy the use of collaborative games on line."
This page is your guide to the state of Collaborative Activities on Sugar: developing them, using APIs and techniques, and assisting others in the development community.
Announce new collaborative activities, new collaborative features in existing activities, or platform improvements for collaboration here.
- Useful debugging tools at Network Resources
- Video Chat updated and working again! See  for required RPMs.
- HelloMesh code updated, to send text entered in a gtk.Entry over the Tube, and use alerts to show what happens - Release 3
- Cerebro (a scalable, light-weight platform that provides presence information, efficient file sharing and an easy collaboration mechanism for activities) released: http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-April/012944.html
- Presence Service API improved: Update.1 provides an improvement in the creation of Telepathy channels, allowing for the removal of some of the boilerplate code previously required for activities.
- Pippy gains simple collaboration: As of Pippy-20, joining a shared session gives you the contents of the owner's source buffer.
- Upcoming IRC meeting on collaboration: Sugar dev meeting#Thursday April 17 2008 - 17.00 (UTC)
These activities have collaborative features:
|Read||Shares PDF||Some sharing reliability issues|
|Write||abicollab sharing||Has a hub (Master) and spoke network topology which only works while the original sharer is in the shared activity. Marc Maurer (uwog) has ideas on how to hand over the Master ownership for our web service backend. Feel free get in touch with him if you'd like to help out getting this to work on the telepathy/tubes backend.|
|Chat||XMPP IM chat||Uses Telepathy text channel, not Tubes, currently only works for a MUC, not 1-1 chats|
|Record||Shares photos, video, audio|
|Pippy||Shares source buffer at time of joining|
|TamTam||TamTam jam shares a drumbeat across the network|
|Etoys||Etoys has many modes of collaboration, including shared objects, shared desktop, push-to-talk, etc.|
|Calculate||Calculate shares variables over the network|
|Stopwatch||shares timers over the network|
|Measure||shares data streams over the network|
|Distance||uses network (and audio) to determine the distance between two laptops|
|Connect||two player game over the network||Collabora's original implementation of Tubes; needs extensions to activity API to finish functionality|
|Memorize||multiplayer memory game also allows sharing of user-created games over the network|
|Poll Builder||Simple polls with sharing|
|Joke Machine||Share jokes|
|Video Chat||Video/Voice chat between two participants||Needs integration with mesh view, needs RPMs|
|StarChart||No collaboration yet||sharing of coordinate and time settings is planned|
Please add your own activities!
Help Wanted / Offered
- If you need help with implementing collaboration, come to #sugar on IRC and talk to me. --morgs 08:32, 14 April 2008 (EDT)
- The Connect activity needs finishing. Patches welcome! --morgs 08:32, 14 April 2008 (EDT)