Who am I?
My name is Scott Swanson, and I am the Strategic Technology Coordinator at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) in Aurora, IL, US.
I have been an OLPC advocate since I first saw the OLPC protoypes and met OLPC staff in person at NECC 2006. I started shortly thereafter contributing to the work on getting the OLPC dev image working on Parallels for MacOS X so I could start working with it myself (and let others do the same). In Fall 2007, after Mel '03 came back to speak on OLPC at IMSA, I became the go-to person onsite for OLPC involvment.
- Emulation on MacOS X using Parallels Desktop
- IMSA OLPC Chapter
- I am the club sponsor for the IMSA OLPC chapter, started in September 2007. We are currently looking for other Northern Illinois or even Great Lakes region OLPC chapters with which to potentially participate in a meta-jam.
- COGG - the Chicago OLPC Grassroots Group - met for the first time on January 22, 2008 at Google Chicago. It was a fantastic event; look for the next one soon!
- SIR Advisor
- I am the in-house advisor for Student Inquiry and Research pursuant to the OLPC project. My past advisees were:
- Meg '09: Development of a computer-based collaborative storytelling game for learning foreign languages
- Health Advisor
- I am an advisor to the Health project, with a focus on bridging IMSA students interested in health hardware and software to the initiative. I also have a strong background in cardiology, focusing most strongly on pediatric and adult congenital defects (though I am not a licensed medical professional).
 Contacting me
If you'd like to contact me:
- Email: scott (at) imsa (dot) edu
- Jabber: scott (at) imsa (dot) edu
- AIM: imsascott
- WWW: http://staff.imsa.edu/~scott
- IRC: swansong (check #olpc-imsa)
- Skype: Scott.Swanson
- Second Life: Kyle Thorn