Art and such
Hiya, your art looks fantastic! I'd love for you to get involved in Community:Art - there are a lot of open art projects at Art Wanted that could use a little love. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions or comments.
--Nikki 18:35, 10 February 2008 (EST)
Tue Feb 26
The group would be welcome at our offices Tuesday after hours, say some time after 5:30. How many people do you expect? It helps us to have names in advance that we can leave for the desk downstairs. --Sj talk 15:53, 18 February 2008 (EST)
- sj, I don't know the total count and names yet, but last month there was about 15 people. I will get the info to you ASAP.--AuntiMame 15:54, 18 Feb 2008
Depends on what we want to do - I've done events that involved silkscreening, and it's not generally a one day process. You have to prepare the screens ahead of time, get ahold of shirts, screen them, let them dry, and then distribute them. I'd also be careful with multicolored designs, since lining screens up can be tricky. However, if we get a small number of designs and people want to make shirts for themselves, that would be doable.
--Nikki 15:06, 19 February 2008 (EST)
"includeonly" categories in templates
So that the template does not get listed as a "boston area user", but everyone who includes that template on their userpage does, there is a category that is bracketed within "< includeonly >" tags. You left the Category: out of its title. here's the diff. --Sj talk 15:21, 27 February 2008 (EST)
Next Boston meetup?
Hi Diane, I'm talking to Rachel Hunt who is planning a service trip for her scohol to Costa Rica in mid-April and thinking about bringing some XOs along. She'd like to get input from the community and from people who have their own ideas, or have brought their XOs into local schools. If there's a boston meetup before April 12 or so that would be perfect; otherwise perhaps we could get a few interested people together... what do you think? --Sj talk 17:25, 23 March 2008 (EDT)
XO Repair Shops -- graphical guidelines / icons / templates
You are good at this! (Just from looking at your user page).
And in some email of yours to some mailing list I believe I saw you mention your affinity to hardware / repair / spare parts (you also mentioned a web shop).
Could you please click on Art_wanted and have a look at the new XO Repair Shop line item?
The Birmingham Shop will be opening for business on April 21st. The last conference call with Adam indicated that there will be more comming and all could benefit from some corporate design elements.
Stefan 13:30, 27 March 2008 (EDT)
We're looking for space in the Chicagoland area - any ideas or tips on how to find/negotiate-for a great short-term (3 month) lease? I'm new to this... Mchua 21:46, 12 May 2008 (EDT)
thanks for cleaning up wad's speech!
I was way too tired of staring at my screen afterwards to go back and catch typos, so thanks for doing that. :) Mchua 22:23, 22 May 2008 (EDT)
interested in stocking parts?
Thanks for the offer, Diane! Can you put that info into the survey so we have it all in one place when Adam, Kim, and I go through things next week? Mchua 09:53, 23 May 2008 (EDT)
Getting a Boston Pilot Started
Hey Diane, I met you at the Cosi meet up tonight. Let me know when we can meet up towards the end of this week, or beginning of next week. Send me an email at firstname.lastname[at]yale.edu
dah! sorry for the typo.
Thanks for correcting the name. ;) It's been a long, long day... Mchua 10:03, 10 June 2008 (EDT)
One Velociraptor Per Child
Can you get shirts printed with the OVPC design on them? It's becoming quite popular, and a lot of people have shown interest (the ILXO office is pretty unanimously interested, for starters).
--Nikki 21:13, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
Looks to me like a bot that looked at recent changes and hit the talk and user pages on any recent editor. In any event, that IP is blocked for now and all vandalism is un-done. Cjl 17:19, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
What did you create those PDF's in? It would be nice to have your source doc's so they could be more easily edited. Inkscape? Seth 12:44, 2 July 2008 (UTC)
XFCE on XO
I saw that your friend that you're setting up dual boot with was looking for XFCE. (Keith?). The latest joyrides actually include XFCE as well as Sugar. This is really new as of something like 2230. Which is pretty exciting news IMO. Seth 07:21, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
08/08/2008 - StarChart documentation page changes
I see you made some changes to the StarChart activity documentation page StarChart. It appears that the result didn't quite go as planned: in addition to a nicely-formatted form, there's a lot of "trash" just above it.
Is this supposed to be a new style for activiy documentation? Is there a "user guide" for this?
09/03/2008 - Solitare for the XO
I use PySol on my XO. It provides a number of games, but I find FreeCell the most addictive. It's not Sugar-coated, but it runs fine from Terminal. It's a little tricky to install because it needs a library. Instructions:
- drop to Terminal
- #su -l
- #yum install libtk8.4.so
- #yum install PySolFC
Then when you want to play,
- drop to Terminal
Delete the command
- #yum install libtk8.4.so
It is no longer necessary with 8.2.0 (in fact, it fails).
bot assisted categorization, 7c
you may want to use something like Twinkle to help you make bulk edits... and you may want to set up a bot account for doiong these sorts of updates if it becomes a habit. --Sj talk 02:30, 8 September 2008 (UTC)
- Sorry, you can install twinkle js libraries to help you edit... I don't think they are bots, that was just a misread. Getting an account marked as a bot just takes a request at OLPC:requests, at which point its edits are hidden by default from RC. --Sj talk
More on categorization: you should pop into wikimedia commons and see why they don't use their format categories like http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Image_formats very much... also, you may want to unify naming conventions with them for ease of sharing. --Sj talk 17:23, 13 September 2008 (UTC)
Design gang proposed file structure
Just took a look at OLPC:Design gang/proposed file structure - whoa. That's awesome. Some thoughts:
- We now have SMW installed - the hierarchy as it stand now doesn't take advantage of it, but it might make some work easier. For instance, instead of "Image PNG" and "Image GIF" categories, have "PNG" and "GIF" categories and make that a subcategory of "Image" (because all things of those two file formats are obviously images, etc.) In addition, instead of having categories "Library-en", we could have category "Library" and category "en" and then search for the intersection of the two (which would in effect be "Library-en" without the overhead of manually creating more categories). Seth has been doing some explorations of using the wiki in this way, iirc.
- I particularly love the image by location/school and "beautyshot" categories, and the sorting by screenshots of activities - these are things we super-need but don't have. Rock on!
- Similarly, the PR-ish images... I think there's been some talk of putting together better (mostly this means "easier to use") media packages because of the upcoming G1G1 - will check and see how the two efforts can dovetail together.
Yay for Diane! Mchua 21:19, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
Design gang proposed structure
Looks pretty good to me - I don't really have any comments beyond anything Mel brought up.
On a side note, have you been frequenting the Saturday OJs at the MIT Museum? I'm trying to wrangle some free time to drag Olin chapter members down there.
--Nikki 01:53, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
Design Gang proposed media upload file structure
One suggestion is to reference "media:" instead of "image:" for multi-use readability. :)
ok, so where would my own images of the XO laptop world traveling with me... be categorized ?
(See my User page for image examples at bottom. :)
Thanks for all you do! :) --ixo 08:50, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
ok.. so I just have to say this MAME came to mind when i saw your name. :)
- Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. . . . .
Some newbie questions from davewa
- I want to reorganize the documentation wiki page for StarChart. Can I create a couple of additional pages for supplementary information?
- These pages would be for things like a "change log" and a "bug tracking" page? What is the polite way to do this and what kind of names would make sense? (e.g.: could I create "StarChart/Change_log" and "StarChart/Bug_tracking" or would the names have to be something entirely different?)
- I want to include screen-shot images in the instructions. Do I have permission to place these in "Images" and what's the procedure for uploading them?
Thanks for the revert on my talk page. IMHO, an infinite block on these anon IPs is not warranted and so I modified it to a three month block. The thing is, the next time this vandal is back, it will be under another IP, so infinite block will only potentially block someone else and do little good. cjl 04:01, 27 September 2008 (UTC)
- P.S. keep an eye out for the kids from Uruguay (usually IP ranges starting with 200 and 201). They leave little comments in Spanish (usually fairly harmless). Usually, I would fix any problems they caused, but generally do not block them at all. In this case, I gave Walter the chance to post a reply :-) cjl 20:38, 29 September 2008 (UTC)
To clean up recentchanges a bit... how about creating a new user for image cleanup tasks? We can clarify that the 'bot' account is used by a human sometimes, but it would definitely help :-) . --Sj talk 23:52, 28 September 2008 (UTC)
Media > Pictures and Images > Pictures and Images by content > Screenshots by type > Software ideas
Odd. -- skierpage 11:01, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
I accidentally uploaded a file with the wrong name and I can't seem to find a way to delete it. Is there any way I can delete it? If not the image is Turtle-activity-3.0.svg and I don't need/want it. Thanks for you're help! loser 23:26, 24 November 2008
typing on my xo; sorry4typoes. i believe i met you at a cosi meetup a while ago. i'd llike to chat with you inre: 1- couple of xoexplosion.com special orders, solar and a couple other bits perhaps, and 2: your thoughts on best way to find an xo intern-like helper to do some work-for-hire projects a la those on my user page, mostly centered around creating cutom boot images that are flashed to some xo(s) i'm planning on making part of a restaurant's ambiance. best,
Link for your store
If I saw that you supply these solar panels, I might want to buy them, but I cannot find how... :-) would you care to make a link to your store, or give it to me so I put it in the wiki, or whatever you see as appropriate, please? Thanks Yamaplos 21:40, 20 March 2009 (UTC)